Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Radar Detector

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 09:23 AM
markbytes
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radar Detector

Radar detector hardwired. If anyone wants to follow the same path, here goes:

1. Dug thru collection of old AC to DC batter eliminators (like for CD players, radios, cell phones) and found plug and wire that fit radar detector. Radio Shack sells the parts, but this was easier and smarter looking plug connection.
2. Ran wire from radar detector, across dash and down side of moulding on the drivers side. Moulding has 1/4 inch gap so easie to tuck in with no modification. Finally slipped behind moulding and thru back side of inside fuse box.
3. Here's the trick, Radio Shack sells a small brass terminal that wraps around one of the pins of a spade type fuse and slips into the fuse box right next to the fuse. The insert is constructed to actually wrap arond the spade pin on your fuse. This makes it too thick to slide into the tight fuse box, so I trimmed one side of the "insert" off with wire cutters. The backside of the insert has a standard wire connector fitting that you can clip unto with a standard solderless connector.
4. I selected a 5W fuse location at the very back of the fuse box (closest to engine). Use an ohmeter and check for two things. First, you want a fuse that is switched on and off by the ignition switch. Second, you and to slip the spade insert into the "dead" side of the fuse. This will ensure the fuse provides protection for your radar detector.
5. I split the newly ran wire with the color coded (positive) side to the fuse box. I added a solderless female terminal and slipped it onto the male "insert" that is now in the fuse box.
6. A solderless forked connector was added to the "ground" side of the wire. There are several convenient ground locations nearby.

That's it. Total time: about 30 minutes. Now Radar Detector wire is out of the way. The cigarette lighter is available for cell phone or whatever.

The insert to the fuse box is easily removable if you are squeamish about modifying your new Mini. Have fun!

Old 06-13-2003, 10:37 PM
c615586
3rd Gear
Do you have any pictures of the mod while you were doing it?

Old 04-20-2006, 10:41 PM
REHutch
1st Gear
Can anyone suggest a good/great Radar Dectector?

Thanks

Old 04-20-2006, 11:04 PM
Mini Pete
2nd Gear
Valentine V1 detector is great. Try a search and you will see.

Old 04-21-2006, 12:39 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
FWIW, you can get an 'add a circuit' at most auto stores

It's similar to what you used, but doesn't require any of the trimming that you had to do.

radar detector = Valentine 1

Old 04-21-2006, 04:02 AM
blalor
6th Gear
Another vote for the V1. Get a remote display, too. I hard-wired mine using the above add-a-circuit.

Old 04-21-2006, 06:37 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
thread moved

Old 04-27-2006, 11:27 AM
Suzanne's Chili Red S
4th Gear
Originally Posted by blalor
Another vote for the V1. Get a remote display, too.
Couldn't have said it better!

Old 04-27-2006, 07:52 PM
Methman
3rd Gear
I don't know about the rest of the nation, but in Southern California, most law enforcement agencies are now using laser rather than radar detectors, so keep that in mind.

Also, when law enforcement runs laser and/or radar guns they don't keep them on continuously. They have to visually estimate your speed first then use the laser/radar gun to confirm their estimation, so your detector wouldn't do you any good. Save your money and just watch your speed.

Old 04-28-2006, 02:57 AM
blalor
6th Gear
You're pretty much boned when it comes to laser; the V1 has a laser detector but, like other laser detectors, it only gives you a "should I stay or should I go, now" proposition.

With radar, if you're *smart*, you can use the radar gun's target-practice-with-birdshot properties to your advantage. You need what I call a canary, someone ahead of you that will get the cop's attention before you're in sight. A high-sensitivity detector like the V1 will give you plenty of warning when the OTHER guy is illuminated. Take a stopwatch and hang back, keeping other cars a ¼ mile ahead of you (which is pretty far at the upper limits of freeway speeds). Slow down when the other car gets painted.

There's an article on Gizmodo written by Alex Roy of Gumball fame who discusses the basic premises behind using a radar detector.

Remember, it's not a "cop detector", and it isn't a gimme. You've gotta use your brain with it if you want to play the supra-legal speeding game, and otherwise use it to keep The Man from putting his jackboot on your neck. ;-)

Old 05-28-2006, 06:15 PM
jody
2nd Gear
Get a Phazer from Rock Mountain radar. It will jam laser.
www.rockymountainradar.com
Ive had one for over 5 years and never gotten a ticket. Even tried it on my old laser unit before I retired.

Old 05-28-2006, 07:01 PM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by jody
Get a Phazer from Rock Mountain radar. It will jam laser.
www.rockymountainradar.com
Ive had one for over 5 years and never gotten a ticket. Even tried it on my old laser unit before I retired.
But, is it legal?

Old 05-29-2006, 04:38 AM
jody
2nd Gear
Go to the web site. There are only a handfull of states where they can not sell the product.....

Old 05-29-2006, 06:54 AM
Aqualung
4th Gear
Originally Posted by blalor
You're pretty much boned when it comes to laser; the V1 has a laser detector but, like other laser detectors, it only gives you a "should I stay or should I go, now" proposition.

With radar, if you're *smart*, you can use the radar gun's target-practice-with-birdshot properties to your advantage. You need what I call a canary, someone ahead of you that will get the cop's attention before you're in sight. A high-sensitivity detector like the V1 will give you plenty of warning when the OTHER guy is illuminated. Take a stopwatch and hang back, keeping other cars a ¼ mile ahead of you (which is pretty far at the upper limits of freeway speeds). Slow down when the other car gets painted.

There's an article on Gizmodo written by Alex Roy of Gumball fame who discusses the basic premises behind using a radar detector.

Remember, it's not a "cop detector", and it isn't a gimme. You've gotta use your brain with it if you want to play the supra-legal speeding game, and otherwise use it to keep The Man from putting his jackboot on your neck. ;-)
Very true, I got bagged a year and a half ago my ladar on our major highway. I still use my V1 for local roads, however, i.e. a 2 lane hwy that I use a lot. Many of the towns drop the speed from 55 to 35-45 and sit waiting for ducks to shoot. And, many local towns near me are big commuter cut-throughs and have 30 mph speed limits so they will ticket you if you're going 31 (no joke). So while I don't abuse it, if I'm 5mph over I don't want to get bagged.

However, even my small town now has a ladar unit so it is more up to common sense to avoid the ticket -- caution over crests of hills, not being the speed leader, etc. I will lament the decline of people on the other side flashing the brights to warn of smokeys...

Old 05-29-2006, 06:49 PM
jody
2nd Gear
Phazer beats Laser....