Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Flash to pass garage door opener alt. version

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 11:40 AM
jrprich
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Flash to pass garage door opener alt. version

Thought some of you might want to try this mod on your MC.
Did it on my Vette, then on my MC and my Talon..........all worked GREAT !
Just mount the clicker to your headlight plastic and wire it to the High Beam's power and ground.

Flash to pass garage door opener alt. version
I was inspired by Corvette Don's cool mod on using a stock garage door opener and rewiring it to function when you "flash to pass" and triggering the opener.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1799130

Here is my second attempt that was successful Sorry, I didn't stop to take pics

My first try failed, not sure if it was bad voltage, bad soldering, or just bad luck But I resolved to try again.
Now that my original spare Chamberlain 3v opener was totally dead I had to locate a new remote to try again on.
Since I wanted to eliminate the voltage reduction from 12 to 3volts issue I started looking for a different model remote to use.
What I found was a 9v model by Chamberlain called the Clicker.
This puppy can be trained to open 80% of all garage door systems.
http://www.clickerproducts.com/pdfdocs/114A3272.pdf
I found it at HD for $25.....cheaper online but I didn't want to wait.
I also wanted to eliminate any soldering in case that is how I fried my original remote. And with the Clicker this was easy to do.
I just used a 9volt battery socket to make the connection to the remote (reverse the leads) and ran these back to the leads that power the high beam on the driver's side.
I then hot glued a couple of thin pieces of plastic to the back of the remote's #1 button so that when the case was closed the button stays pressed (no soldering).
Used the dremel to cut a small notch for the leads to the low beam and then sealed up the holes in the case with a bit of hot glue to make the thing more water resistant.
Tested it and she works great so I mounted the Clicker on the headlight assembly, drivers side tucked up near the hood with some super Velcro and was done.

A worthy DIY mod that works great ! I also now have a LOT more range. I guess this is due to the 9v system.....or less interference from the fiberglass up front.

Last edited by jrprich; 05-18-2008 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:37 PM
MyMiniGidget
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a good thread im gonna bump it