Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical "Wireless" Back-up Camera Install (pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 08:52 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Wireless" Back-up Camera Install (pictures)

[Edit: I upgraded this set-up to this.]

I got a wireless back-up camera with IR nightvision and a 3.5" monitor from 4ucam.com. As inspired by LynnEl, I sawed and dremeled off the flanges of the license plate mount on either side of the actual camera housing. For a more stealth install and optimal downwards camera angle, I removed the boot handle (4 torx screws) and dremeled a fitted hole underneath just to the left of the license plate light. Otherwise, I could have just stuck it to the hatch body right underneath the boot handle as LynnEl did. I ran the camera wiring through the same hole in the hatch body the boot handle's wiring harness enters. I removed the interior hatch trim after removing the two torx screws from the bottom piece. Just pull with some force to remove the trim pieces. I dremeled a little of the plastic plug where the wires exit from the boot handle to allow the camera wiring to fit. I ran the wiring along the inside of the hatch to the hinge above, down and tucked in the weatherstripping, and into the right rear taillight housing area.

I initially spliced into the blue/grey reverse light power wire and a brown wire for ground. The picture I got had this constant horizontal lines of interference that went away when the engine was off. Maybe, alternator or fuel pump noise? I tried grounding to a scew with no luck. Anyway, I ended up connecting the power to the fusebox, fuse F30 (ignition-on). No more constant interference. Just the very occasional stuff I expected like when I use bluetooth. Otherwise, a surprisingly clear and detailed picture. Also, the camera is always on and I can just turn off the monitor if distracting. I placed the monitor in the center cubby. As in the picture below, I used an expired credit card and some Stik-Tak to secure it a good angle. It is also hardwired to fuse F30.

Parallel parking is now a breeze for very tight spots in the city. The last picture shows how close I can actually see the curb on the ground. A car's bumper I can see until right up against mine. Basically, the bottom of the screen represents my rear bumper. I'm thinking of getting another camera, the round version, to use as a baby seat monitor. The monitor can accept 4 channels.

Last edited by lacning74; 05-28-2008 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:54 PM
ghosthound
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks good!

Old 01-24-2008, 04:22 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Thanks.

Interestingly, customer service had no idea or didn't admit to the engine noise interference issue. I think that is why so many people return these wireless cameras wrongly believing it is outside interference or signal strength issues.

They told me to buy another version of the camera that had a separate antenna in order to increase the signal even though I told them there was still interference when I put the monitor right next to the camera. I wonder if a noise filter people use for "alternator whine" would have worked with the reverse lamp wiring. Anyway, wired to the fusebox, I have no problems.

In retrospect, I should have gotten a wired camera since I ran the power to the front fusebox anyway. Since I have the wireless version with a 4 channel monitor, though, I'm going to get another camera to use as a back-seat baby/child monitor.

Old 01-24-2008, 04:31 PM
ChubbyChecker
4th Gear
Looks good. I've been thinking about doing the same thing. How's the video quality at night?

Old 01-24-2008, 05:58 PM
jw34
6th Gear
Man you are the electrical mod-god!

Old 01-24-2008, 07:29 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jw34
Man you are the electrical mod-god!
Thanks. It's addictive. It all started with my Garmin Nuvi. When it gets warmer, I'll have to initiate myself into performance/engine mods.

Originally Posted by ChubbyChecker
Looks good. I've been thinking about doing the same thing. How's the video quality at night?
Night quality seems pretty much as good as the day time except you lose color detail, understandably. The IR lights glow an eerie red in the dark. Pretty cool, but I'm blind now.

The camera lists a 4 meter range in 0 lux conditions. When I get out of the city, I'm going to have to test it in pitch black conditions with my taillights and reverse lights off. For a lot of good quality non-IR cameras, the reverse lights usually provide enough illumination for backing-up.

Last edited by lacning74; 01-24-2008 at 07:39 PM.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:27 AM
ghosthound
6th Gear
price and where to get? im also assuming you have to manually turn the camera on or is there a micro switch for when you shift into reverse.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:59 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ghosthound
price and where to get? im also assuming you have to manually turn the camera on or is there a micro switch for when you shift into reverse.
I got it for $170 at 4Ucam.com. After the fact of course, I've seen much cheaper ones out there with a 3.5" monitor and IR nightvision, especially non-wireless ones.

My camera and monitor are hardwired to an ignition on/off fuse so both are always on when the car is running. When I had connected the camera wiring to turn on with the reverse lights, I got the constant engine electrical noise interference problem. I can turn the monitor off with a power button on top if it gets distracting.

In retrospect, I would have gotten a wired back-up camera. The mini cooper is so small anyway. I felt pretty lucky that I was able to solve my initial wireless signal interference issues.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:28 PM
ghosthound
6th Gear
are you ever concerned about someone stealing the screen?

Old 01-27-2008, 12:48 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Very nicely done, clean and discreet installation. I have the expensive OEM rear camera for R50/R52/R53 which requires factory Nav. I got it for my convertible because of the poor rear visibility, and it has been one of the most valuable mods I've done. I frequently parallel park into tight spaces in San Francisco and the camera helps tremendously. I'm so spoiled now that I will always have a rear camera (whether OEM or aftermarket) in all of my future cars.

I have a suggestion that may or may not help with the noise interference. You could try connecting the camera to the 12V power outlet in the boot. Then you could also have the reverse light switching it on and off through a relay.

are you ever concerned about someone stealing the screen?
I think the real issue is that the screen makes it look like a portable GPS, and if visible from outside may invite break-ins.

Old 01-27-2008, 02:03 AM
ghosthound
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw

I think the real issue is that the screen makes it look like a portable GPS, and if visible from outside may invite break-ins.
yeah, thats what i was implying... heck, i bet they dont even have to think its a gps and they will try to steal it. If only there was some sort of cover that could hide the monitor. Obviously something integrated into the factory nav would be ideal... but i havent heard of anything for the r56 nor do i have the nav anyway

Old 01-27-2008, 05:59 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
yeah, thats what i was implying... heck, i bet they dont even have to think its a gps and they will try to steal it. If only there was some sort of cover that could hide the monitor. Obviously something integrated into the factory nav would be ideal... but i havent heard of anything for the r56 nor do i have the nav anyway
So far so good, and I street park everyday.

I recently had my GPS stolen, stupidly mounted in sight, so I am concerned. That's why I tucked the monitor deep in the center cubby. Difficult to see during the day and impossible at night.

A hinged cover for the cubby would be easy to fabricate, though. I could even put a CD cover in front of it or something.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:10 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
Very nicely done, clean and discreet installation. I have the expensive OEM rear camera for R50/R52/R53 which requires factory Nav. I got it for my convertible because of the poor rear visibility, and it has been one of the most valuable mods I've done. I frequently parallel park into tight spaces in San Francisco and the camera helps tremendously. I'm so spoiled now that I will always have a rear camera (whether OEM or aftermarket) in all of my future cars.

I have a suggestion that may or may not help with the noise interference. You could try connecting the camera to the 12V power outlet in the boot. Then you could also have the reverse light switching it on and off through a relay.

Thanks. Your OEM camera setup is the ideal in terms of function and stealth.

Thought about the relay and boot 12V thing, but just ran the wire up for a quick and dirty diagnostic install. If I couldn't find a clean power source, I was even desperate to use a relay and a separate battery, but probably would have just bought a wired camera and hooked it up to the same monitor.

When I install my rear speakers and remove the trim pieces, I may splice into the 12V boot wiring and use the reverse light wiring for a relay.

Old 01-27-2008, 01:45 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Very nice; as are all your mods.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:14 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Video

Last edited by lacning74; 02-19-2008 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:13 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
My boot handle hatch release button is not working anymore! Only the keyfob button works now.

It just recently rained and now is freezing.

The wire harness connection through the hatch frame looks intact. I never got around to sealing the edges of the hole I cut where I put the camera. Though it's far from the button, maybe water found it's way to the center and something fried?

I knew I was being a little too mod-happy-aggressive when I decided to pull out my dremel. Unnecessary step actually. I could've just stuck it underneath without finessing it up that hole. I would do it again, though.

Last edited by lacning74; 02-11-2008 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:47 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Got in an accident, so plan to "upgrade" my back-up camera to a wired one one I got from ebay. Plan to hook it up to a rear view mirror camcorder that has an aux video input that I will use for the back-up camera wired to the reverse lights.

After the accident, I wanted a car cam. I thought of doing a more stealth install with separate camera components and a mobile DVR, but the rear view mirror, though bulky, seems like a good all-in-one solution.

Check out the reckless mini cooper driving in the first demo video of the rear view mirror camcorder.

Anyone want to buy my old setup as pictured above? Pm me.

Last edited by lacning74; 02-22-2008 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:46 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
As an update on my fiasco, I got a new boot handle from MorristownMini for about $75, installed it and the hatch release button now works. If I ever get around to setting up a new back-up camera, I'm not cutting out any holes anymore in the boot handle prone to water seepage and short-circuits. I'm also going to drill a new separate hole in the body behind the boot handle for the wiring.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:01 PM
ChubbyChecker
4th Gear
Originally Posted by lacning74
As an update on my fiasco, I got a new boot handle from MorristownMini for about $75, installed it and the hatch release button now works. If I ever get around to setting up a new back-up camera, I'm not cutting out any holes anymore in the boot handle prone to water seepage and short-circuits. I'm also going to drill a new separate hole in the body behind the boot handle for the wiring.
I had considered installing it my boot handle like you but after hearing your leakage issues I decided to look for an alternate location. Here is what I came up with: The brackets I made let me install both camera and monitor without drilling any holes. I did carve a little bit of the plastic on the boot cover to let the cable come through.

In the pic above you can see part of the camera in the rear view mirror (by the front wheel of the red truck).

Old 03-19-2008, 09:27 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Awesome work! Much more professional than mine. Like the hardwiring to the overhead console. Is yours wired to the reverse lights?

In regards to my leakage issue, I took apart my old handle to see what was going on. It wasn't the hole I cut for the camera. It was my aggressive dremelling of the wiring harness plug in order to fit the camera wiring through the pre-existing hole in the hatch body. I planned to also fit some wiring for my rear laser jammer, I mean parking sensor, too.

This time, I plan to just drill a new hole. I got a new wired camera to hook up to my rear view mirror camera recorder.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:46 PM
ChubbyChecker
4th Gear
Originally Posted by lacning74
Awesome work! Much more professional than mine. Like the hardwiring to the overhead console. Is yours wired to the reverse lights?
It is, but after reading rkw's suggestion in your other post about the diodes I think I'm going to add a switch as well. I'm deciding which switch I want to use, the blank between “Sport” and “DSC off”, the blank on the climate control or the blank toggle.

I feel I need to put one of those spaces to work.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:46 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
I upgraded my back-up camera to this:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=141027

Old 03-10-2015, 11:22 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,091 Likes on 1,865 Posts
There are back up camera here now: They are MINI branded and have a front and rear camera.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...up-camera.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 06-18-2015, 12:02 AM
alpalpha
1st Gear
Hello!

Great thread but i hate that the uploaded pictures is not showing.

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com...m/image4-1.jpg

Any problem with the gallery?

Thank you for fixing this :(

Old 06-18-2015, 06:24 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,091 Likes on 1,865 Posts
I cant see them, 404 error .

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172