Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical Strobeing Brake Light?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008 | 01:22 PM
kevinminict
|
4th Gear
Strobeing Brake Light?

Ok. I saw one of these yesterday and thought it grabs your attention.

It was on a Police cruiser and just the left and right brake lights flashed twice fast for just a second then went on steady. The "Third" brake light went on normally.

I also see this on ambulances as well the left and right brake lights flash twice for just a second then stay on steady. But theirs are LED I believe. I GOOGLED but cant find anything in emergency vehicles.

I want to know if anyone knows where something like this can be purchased for the MINI's brake lights. I noticed the police car it looked like his normal brake lights they didnt look LED to me but it could of been. But they were behind the normal crown vic red plastic brake covers.

I know about the "third" brake light flasher but I don't like how it flashes like 3-4 times...

If they do make one that Flashes twice then go on steady that would be cool. And what I mean flash twice not like a yellow traffic light flashing a bit faster its like really qucik grabs your attention.

Here is an Idea of what I am talking about. Like the car in the youtube vid except not the third brake light.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqLXfHIeEec

Last edited by kevinminict; 02-06-2008 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-06-2008 | 04:55 PM
larrydata
2nd Gear
I installed the third light brake pulser and really like it. I think it helps, although it's not as cool as the video you posted.

I got the webelectrics one that blinks like three times then is solid, and the next time you hit the brake it acts normally, so you don't keep flashing in bumper-to-bumper Hartford traffic.

Larry

Link: http://www.webelectricproducts.com

Old 02-07-2008 | 02:27 PM
surfguy631
1st Gear
I'm not familiar with the lighting wiring in the MINI at all yet but I would imagine that that module used in the YouTube video could be used and installed after the 3rd brake light wire so that it only flashes the main brake lights and not the third brake light. This is just a thought as I have no idea what the wiring looks like back there.

Old 04-12-2008 | 03:02 AM
rippymcs
4th Gear
What I like to see is a speed dependent pulse brake light. When you're braking gently in normal traffic, the brake lights come on normally, no flashing. But if you slam on the brakes then the lights flash rapidly. This could be done with a accelerometer that measures the g-force generated during hard braking and flashes the lights when the load reaches a certain level. Similar to the dual level brake lights.

Old 04-16-2008 | 01:29 AM
ghosthound
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rippymcs
What I like to see is a speed dependent pulse brake light. When you're braking gently in normal traffic, the brake lights come on normally, no flashing. But if you slam on the brakes then the lights flash rapidly. This could be done with a accelerometer that measures the g-force generated during hard braking and flashes the lights when the load reaches a certain level. Similar to the dual level brake lights.
its the price that ruins the deal... im sure something like that would cost more than most of us would want to spend to flash our tail lights...

Although i agree that it would be nice to not always pulsate.