Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical Rear View Mirror Camera

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 11:45 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rear View Mirror Camera

After an accident, I wanted to install a car cam, so I got this Rear View Mirror Camera from Brickhouse Security. Useful to document my radar detector encounters as well. As for the rear view mirror itself, though bulky, the anti-glare works great, especially since I never had auto-dimming, and I like the wide-angle view. I can see my kid, the rear, as well as the sides of the car at the same time.

I plan to hook up a back-up camera as well to the Rear View Mirror next weekend. Whenever the aux input detects a camera it automatically switches and continues to record so I plan to have it activated by my reverse lights as well as manually whenever I want with a momentary switch.

Maybe I shouldn't stop there. Let's see. I can add cameras on the sides as well.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:12 PM
Bor
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
way cool looking forward to the rear camera install. don't forget to plan for the roof camera too - to watch out for the helicopters

Old 03-04-2008, 12:21 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Bor
way cool looking forward to the rear camera install. don't forget to plan for the roof camera too - to watch out for the helicopters
I actually thought of a periscope camera on the end of my antenna or getting a motorized one to see over SUVs during traffic jams.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:46 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Looks like a good product, and a clean installation. How much larger is it than the stock mirror? Maybe a pic from the rear seat would give us a sense of the size.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:59 PM
pberry51mini
No Fear Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure I get this except for litigation I suppose.
More power to ya.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:09 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's a nice stable location. Would be great for AutoX!

Old 03-10-2008, 11:23 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Relay switch idea

I plan to add a back-up camera feed to my rear view camera video recorder.

I want it to activate with the reverse lamps as well as at the push of a button for some cool shots while driving. I think I will need a relay so that the reverse lamps don't power on as well when I push the button since reverse cameras are traditionally wired directly to the reverse lamp wiring.

A relay will keep the power feed from the reverse lamps or from the push button separate. Makes sense? Boy is this fun!

Old 03-10-2008, 11:50 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by lacning74
I want it to activate with the reverse lamps as well as at the push of a button for some cool shots while driving. I think I will need a relay so that the reverse lamps don't power on as well when I push the button since reverse cameras are traditionally wired directly to the reverse lamp wiring.
All you need is a couple of diodes to block the signals in the unwanted direction. The rear view camera on my cabrio is triggered by the reverse lamp, and I added a switch for on-demand viewing. This is the circuit on my car:

Mostly I use it for parallel parking while pointing uphill, when I can let the car roll backwards without actually shifting into reverse, but I can still make the camera turn on.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:55 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
All you need is a couple of diodes to block the signals in the unwanted direction. The rear view camera on my cabrio is triggered by the reverse lamp, and I added a switch for on-demand viewing. This is the circuit on my car:

Mostly I use it for parallel parking while pointing uphill, when I can let the car roll backwards without actually shifting into reverse, but I can still make the camera turn on.
Thanks! Never new what diodes did. This is exactly what I need!

Old 04-04-2008, 05:28 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
I'm frustrated and feel like ranting. I can't get the rear view mirror to recognize an auxillary camera. It supposedly takes NTSC signal. It has a mini jack plug. I've tried a mono jack to RCA as well as a stereo jack one without avail. I tried a back-up cam as well as the RCA output from from digital camera NTSC and PAL. I've tested the jacks with a voltimeter for current. I've gotten a replacement rear view mirror and had the back-up cam tested by where I got it. I also ordered a different back-up cam to try out. This is a relatively new product. I got it from Brickhouse Security and they have not been to helpful over phone or email. I don't have time to stop by their corporate office. I have had initial contact with the manufacturer in Taiwan. I'll see what they know.Problem with this technology is it hasn't made into mainstream stores where I can easily try and return.Anyone with experience with these things? I figured video NTSC signal is standard.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:20 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Well, after exchanging for two more units and talking with tech support, they decided to graciously issue me a refund. While the main camera works great, I just couldn't get the auxiliary port to work with my back-up cam and many other sources.

Oh well, now I have to fashion up my own car cam setup. The mirror was bulky anyway. As I've seen on other forums, I'm thinking of getting a cheap motion activated portable video recorder and a small camera to mount behind the rear view mirror stalk.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:18 AM
lacning74
6th Gear