Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical Wiring aftermarket rear fogs into brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 07:14 AM
GaryCooper
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiring aftermarket rear fogs into brake lights

I just purchased a set of rear fog lights from MinSpeed, and these get wired into the brake lights. My question concerns overloading the circuit that the brake lights are on. I have not received the kit yet, but I am asking whether the splice is into the wires themselves or is there a separate relay that these run off of. I have no intention of wiring them as rear fogs. If any one has performed this mod, can you give me some insight.

Thanks

Old 02-08-2009, 07:51 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't know whether the Minspeed lights come with a relay, but I would use one regardless. They're cheap, easy to wire up, and that way you'll know that you're not drawing excessive current from the factory brake light wiring.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:19 AM
saturn
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No need for a relay at all. Did mine over a year ago with the same exact kit and no problems whatsoever! Just remember to be careful when pulling the chrome trim rings off of the taillights. Put a piece of electrical tape over the tip of the flathead screwdriver this way in case you do make a slip, you will save your paint.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:36 AM
djam43
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would most definately go with a relay. Just because it "worked" in one case does not mean its right. All the R56 lighting functions are controlled by a solid state board in the drivers footwell. Any additions to the OEM norm could damage it and void your warrenty.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:12 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Many have done this type of mod on the 1st gen MINI. The vast majority have had no problems, but for an unfortunate few the BC1 computer failed (after months or years) and had to be replaced. I don't think anybody ever diagnosed this mod as the definitive cause, but it doubles the current draw and there is some potential for problems.

Relays would make it safe, but an easier alternative is to use LED bulbs in the fogs. LEDs draw very little power and should be well within a safe range. Spare no expense at finding the brightest tower style LEDs you can find, because most LEDs won't be as bright as the OEM bulb. Note that the OEM bulbs are white but you'll want to get red LEDs for maximum red output.

I don't know whether an R56 detects bulb out for the fog lights. LEDs can trigger bulb out warning because they use so little power. If you get a warning when you turn on rear fogs, the remedy is to add a load resistor in parallel with the LED bulb.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:35 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree - if you're going to do the mod without a relay, use tower LED bulbs. Personally, I'd still go with the bulbs that are already in the Minspeed kit and a $5 relay, compared to what you'll spend on really bright tower bulbs. And the relay will still put less of a current draw on the factory brake wiring than any of the bright tower LEDs.