Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical Trailer wiring help needed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 10:02 AM
subdude
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer wiring help needed!!!

Folks, I need some help here. Went to install a Hopkins 46255 powered trailer light wiring harness, and things went downhill quick. Following this:

Power comes off the aux lighter socket + is the red wire with yellow stripes. Ground can go anywhere you can find a good spot to reach
On the left you can get the Left turn signal wire which is Blue with brown strip and the brake light which is Yellow with black stripe.
On the right side is Light purple with purple stripe. The tail light wire Mini-do-more says to take off of the solid blue wire. They say to take this wire from the loom before it gets to the right tail light socket

After many hours of trying to make this work, I did some investigative work and see that the tail light bulbs are not dual filiment, but single. It seems MINI is feeding low voltage thru the yellow / black wire for tail lights, and higher voltage thru the same wire for brake lights. Never seen it done that way before.

So, my Hopkins unit won't recognize the difference between tail and brake lights, it seems. Things get all flaky. Has anyone actually made this work, or do I need to toss the Hopkins unit and order the one from Mini Do More?

Old 03-29-2009, 03:12 PM
paulsminis
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I originally posted this on the clubman thread and then later noticed you also asked here...

Subdude,

I got your PM and took a look at your post. However, I am not sure I understand the problem. However, according to what I read on-line about the Hopkins unit, it says it should work for most any configuration. I wonder if perhaps you didn't take the tail light connection from the solid blue wire on the right side that comes into the connector BEFORE the tail light connector. That is where Mini-do-more says to tap for tail lights. See if that helps.

Let us know....

Paul