Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Key issue. will not program

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 01:28 PM
blanketmini
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Key issue. will not program

I picked up a 2003 Mini. The previous owner gave me two keys. The lock and unlock button works for one key, and the other doesn't.

I figuired I need to replace the battery, so I did, but still didn't work.

I took out the manual and read that I 'may' need to program the key to sync with my car so. The manual tells me how to do so.. it saids that I need to insert the key and turn it to 2nd position (without starting the car), take it out immediately and pressed the lock and unlock button together. Few attempts it didn't work.

More reseach and found treads talking about key and programming, but it is exactly of what I already knew except I learned that the sensor is in rear view mirror (is that even true?). So.. I tried to program it but this time after taking out the key I pointed to the rear view mirror. Still... didn't work after 10 tries.

I started to think maybe is the key itself. I opened the key, took out the chip board, take a closer look to see if there are any marking (was looking for water marks) but didn't find any. It loosk new. So I turned it over and pressed the button. Hey! a red light flashes. I understand the chip may still be damaged even it 'looked' fine...

I really don't want to pay the dealer $200 to program it for me.. or worse.. letting me know after programming that it doesn't work and my only solution is to pay more money to buy a key and possibly more money to program it again.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:59 PM
MiniOwner2004
1st Gear
I have a 2004, and my second key is doing the same thing!! The car does see the key when I wave it next to the ignition slot, I get a "BING BING" but the key does not lock/unlock the car.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:07 PM
jgrift
1st Gear
I had the same problem but found a person to program it for me. And for like $30! If your in orange county area Mikes Auto Haus did if for me. But if you call a private BMW repair shop and ask if they program MINIs they should be able to let you know. If they have the computer they should be able to do it because the software is the same.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:55 AM
RCCAR
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Old 07-29-2010, 03:44 PM
ViperGTS
4th Gear
I have the same issue. My master key won't work. I have an 03 Mini Cooper S. I tried both sequences and replaced the battery and nothing is working.

I guess I get to go buy another key....Yippee... :(

Old 07-29-2010, 05:53 PM
smurfette26
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had to buy a second key and I just wanted to let you know that both had to be programmed together so if you end up taking the key to a dealer for programming, make sure you bring both or the programming of one will deactivate the other (in fact maybe that is what happened to your second key).

Also, when I bought the key, the dealer reprogrammed both for me for the price of the key (no additional programming costs).

Good Luck!

Old 07-30-2010, 07:02 AM
ViperGTS
4th Gear
Thanks!

We will definitely have both keys and see if they can program the Master that we have now. If not, at least my Wifey will have a key that works entirely.

It sounds like the Madison, WI Mini dealer is a lot nicer than the Schaumburg, IL one, plus it is about 30 miles closer, so I will be going there.