Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical HID ballast mount location?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 12:37 PM
White_Knuckles
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HID ballast mount location?

Can someone please advise me where to mount external, HID ballasts in the hood/headlight area?

I'm considering upgrading stock halogen lights to aftermarket projector style that xenon bulbs/ballasts will be installed. Some suppliers include brackets but our lamp assemblies stick out quite far where maybe you could mount the ballast to the side of the lamp?

Anyone have a tip for quality HID kits that adapt to H7 sockets found in these cheaper projectors. Better yet, has anyone ever found a headlight that fits proper HID bulbs?

Old 02-14-2010, 01:21 PM
Justjones
2nd Gear
I think my stock xenon's ballast are located at the base of my actual headlight in my R53...

Old 02-14-2010, 02:49 PM
White_Knuckles
3rd Gear
Interesting, are they flush to the lamp, plastic, "bucket" assembly or mounted on metal next to the base? The lamp bucket doesn't seem to have any flat spots to mount on.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:19 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
There is a great write up of aftermarket xenon lights..was just posted to a few days ago....moral of the story...beware. It does have some important info for you if you are considering doing this mod.
After reading the thread, I would strongly suggest that you get a set of 05 or new xenon projectors off a wreck, install them, and depending on the situation, you might need a reprogram of your options at the dealer...usually a 1 hour charge. Some say it is needed, some don't. They are simply great. Many aftermarket units are later torn out...

Old 02-14-2010, 03:55 PM
White_Knuckles
3rd Gear
Yeah Zip, I'm seeing the 05's as the best option but they're elusive devils.

One recent post seems to demonstrate positive results simply adding HID kits to factory halogen lights. That's supposed to be a big taboo! His pics looked good. Others have posted shots with Ebay, halogen projectors loaded with HID lamps and the cut-off line again, looks good with the side-road notch quite apparent. These owners aren't suggesting they're going to tear them out later. I need to find some haters and why?