Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical Is my HID fog light DIY project doable?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 08:10 PM
gagamel
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Is my HID fog light DIY project doable?

Hi folks,

My R55 clubman does NOT have fog light and I really want to have it^^. I really miss yellow fog light although I use this light very few times..
First, I will buy a set of fog light assembly(~$100) and

1. LED fog light -> Not Bright... I can wire them with existing driving light(also LED) and add a switch. It should be fine since they draw small current...and cheap ~$40(LED, long wire, switch)

2. HID fog light -> Bright enough. Buy a HID fog light kit with relay harness and a switch. Cost is about $100(3000K HID kit, relay harness, a switch, wire, add-a-circuit??)

So I decide to go with HID fog light and redraw the wiring diagram(found the original diagram on the web). Is my switch going to work? I am not sure which 12v source and ground I need to use.

Last edited by gagamel; 05-06-2010 at 05:16 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:11 PM
smoke05S
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks like the circuit will work. I bet you could get by with a smaller fuse, maybe 15 amp instead of 30 (35 watt ballasts right?). The fogs have a sharp cutoff with a halogen bulb, not sure about the pattern with HID so maybe someone can comment that has tried something like this. They may be harder to aim than headlights (not sure, I never tried aiming mine). Are you going 3000K for Yellow look? Should be ungodly bright. Another option is a yellow halogen. I have Nokya Hyper yellow 55w H8 fogs and they hold their own with my xenon headlights. Either way I bet you do not have wiring for the fogs, so your circuit may actually be the easiest way to pull this off. Let us know how it goes and take lots of pics!

Last edited by smoke05S; 05-31-2010 at 10:57 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:06 AM
DMBFan2
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gagamel
Hi folks,

My R55 clubman does NOT have fog light and I really want to have it^^. I really miss yellow fog light although I use this light very few times..
First, I will buy a set of fog light assembly(~$100) and

1. LED fog light -> Not Bright... I can wire them with existing driving light(also LED) and add a switch. It should be fine since they draw small current...and cheap ~$40(LED, long wire, switch)

2. HID fog light -> Bright enough. Buy a HID fog light kit with relay harness and a switch. Cost is about $100(3000K HID kit, relay harness, a switch, wire, add-a-circuit??)

So I decide to go with HID fog light and redraw the wiring diagram(found the original diagram on the web). Is my switch going to work? I am not sure which 12v source and ground I need to use.

How did this turn out? I want to turn my stock foglights into xenons by gutting my old OEM xenon headlights which have been sitting in a box for quite some time. The only problem I have is wiring it up. The male adapter on the ballast has several wires going into it however, the fogs have only two. How did you wire this?

Old 06-23-2011, 12:49 PM
SooperCuperErik
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DMBFan2
How did this turn out? I want to turn my stock foglights into xenons by gutting my old OEM xenon headlights which have been sitting in a box for quite some time. The only problem I have is wiring it up. The male adapter on the ballast has several wires going into it however, the fogs have only two. How did you wire this?

If you're saying you're going to use your old oem xenon headlights, as in the projector lens, then you will just have to fab it up on the inside of the foglight housing. I wouldn't bother trying to decipher the oem wiring... when you can get an aftermarket HID ballast, bulb, and wiring kit for a mere 35$ on ebay now.
They are the same kits that used to cost 400$. Ask me how I know, I've bought a set many years ago for $400, then 3 years ago I got the same kit for $120, then last year I got it for $60 for my mini's fogs, and now my friend just got a set for his legacy GT for $35. Same exact kit. Prices have dropped like crazy. All you have to do it take your OEM wiring from the car, plug it into the wires leading into the ballast, and the output wires go into the HID bulbs. Its ridiculously simple, AND, they are actually reliable. My old sets lasted me 3 years each no problem, haven't had them longer to know how much longer they'd go for, but for $35, 3 years is plenty long for me.
The bulbs are plug and play as well with (in this case H8) the fog light housing. Just gotta make sure to aim the project correctly in the fog housing and you'll be good. The OEM halogen housing with HID fogs are ridiculously bright, just an FYI.
Good luck.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:01 PM
DMBFan2
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had purchased a pair of xenon foglights from an ebay store to find that they were not xenon. I called the company and they said "their xenon look-a-likes". So I returned them because they did fit in the oem housing. I thought about moving the turn signals to the fog location and vice-versa but that wont work w/o some serious fabrication.

Where did you get yours from? Do they fit in the stock housing?

Old 07-05-2011, 02:46 PM
gagamel
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I have installed my fog light exactly like the circuit above. It has been working without any problem for 7 months.

Parts I purchased are
1) 35W Yellow(3000K) H8 HID kits from DDM tuning + wiring harness(to battery)
2) OEM fog light housing from Ebay. My R55 did not come with fog light at all!!!!
3) OEM driving light switch and cover from ecstuning. This switch goes behind the handle.
This switch was HEAVILY modified since my wiring from relay does not fit there.
The OEM on/off switch function is completely different.

To make it work, I had to opened the front bumper completely for installing new fog light housing and ran the wire close to the handle(where the switch is). Plus modification of the on/off switch. It was fun...^^

In addition to this mod, I wired rear fog light to this switch. The rear fog light already has a P21w bulb installed with wiring to X2331 connector, but it consumes 21 watts. So I replaced this bulb with a LED bulb(only draws <1W, from EBAY) and connected to the same fog light switch and X2331 connector. I did not run any new wire for this rear fog light.

My fog switch turns on the front and rear fog at the same time...^^

I will upload pictures soon.

Front fog

Rear fog

Fog switch

Last edited by gagamel; 07-12-2011 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Adding images