Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical ralley lights CEL question

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010 | 11:44 AM
mikemc
|
3rd Gear
ralley lights CEL question

first of all i'd like to say the sole purpose for me having the ralley driving lights on, was not so i can only turn them on when me high beams are on...so if you follow the factory instructions thats what your left with and its stupid! my buddy and i figured this out after he spent so much time on it... So we hard wired into one of the other lights wires tapping into the ignition wire and i now have a check lights indicator that comes on everytime. the plus is i can now use my ralley lights when ever the ignition is on, anytime and not the high beams. the negative is i have this ! with a yellow triangle on my dash sayin for me to check the right and left parking lights. probably because we used that wire to tie into. is there a way to clear the check lights warning triangle that anyone is aware of? it comes on everytime i start up.

Old 05-24-2010 | 05:14 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
The warning light is because of the way you wired the lights into the car.

The car poles all the lights in the car on start up and checks for a specific load. You have change this load by wiring into another light circuit and this is what is causing the warning light to come on.

Until you disconnect the wiring that you have put it you will have this warning light.

P.S. you may want to check your local vehicle lighting codes as in most states what you have done is not legal.

Old 05-24-2010 | 08:42 AM
ammodave
5th Gear
I'm not the lighting police so I won't comment on running your driving lights when the high beams are not on. Where are you sourcing your power for the lights? Sounds like you may be using the parking light circuit. You can pull power for the lights from the fuse box under the hood using the large terminal in the back of the fuse box (it's a constant 12v). Then find another circuit that's only on when the ignition is on (cigarette lighter?) to energize your relay for the lights. The relay requires very little power to close the circuit to your driving lights; it shouldn't create a CEL. Put your switch for the lights in the line between the relay and the "ignition on" power source. In a more normal install, you would get your power to trigger the relay from the high beam circuit and your driving lights would only come on when the high beams are on. Insure you have an inline fuse in the circuit between the fuse box and the lights. Good luck.

Old 05-26-2010 | 12:20 PM
mikemc
|
3rd Gear
i believe i am using the parking light circuit, yes. i like your idea of using the cigarette lighter circuit. any idea what color that circuit wire is? everything else is set up correctly, yes....

Old 05-26-2010 | 02:40 PM
ammodave
5th Gear
Sorry, don't know what color wire the cigarette lighter circuit is. You have to go inside the car to run the wire for your switch anyway; any switched circuit you can find should work to trigger your relay, just make sure you get the actual power for your lights from the big terminal at the back of the underhood fuse box.

Old 05-26-2010 | 03:11 PM
mikemc
|
3rd Gear
as i read that again i believe i have it set that way. but as schatzy62 mentioned i'm have change this load by wiring into another light circuit and this is what is causing the warning light to come on.Until i disconnect the wiring that you have put it you will have this warning light.it buggin me though...

Old 05-26-2010 | 03:41 PM
mikemc
|
3rd Gear
if i had a code clearer like the scanguage would that work for getting rid of it?