Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Slight Problem installing LEDs.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010 | 06:36 PM
Agarwaen
|
5th Gear
Slight Problem installing LEDs.

So today i got some LEDs from Oznium, and an Add-a-circuit. I wired them up(Into hood Scoop, just behind the center hump on the plastic[so i shouldn't lose any air flow]) with no problems. I poped the Add-a-circuit into slot #14, The Dome light. I was assuming that would fade the LEDs I installed just like the Interior lighting. Apparently I was wrong, or i did something wrong.
My LEDs stay lit all of the time. Regardless of key position or dome light status.

One of Gerldoc's Write-ups shows an add-a-circuit in #14 accomplishing this.

Is there something different about pre-facelift cars that would cause this to not work for me?

Would i have to tap into a specific ground? I just tapped into a ground point in the engine compartment. (And i sheared a stud off in the process! With barely any force!)

I really wanted these LEDs to come on/go off with my dome. It balances the look of the car better at night when they come on. I hope i don't have to get a switch, that's not why I wanted to put them in. I wanted to see them when i walk up to my car, not show off to others.

Last edited by Agarwaen; 07-13-2010 at 06:52 PM.
Old 07-13-2010 | 07:56 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Fuse F14 is an always-on power source. It does happen to feed the reading lights (which can be turned on without a key).

The BC1 computer performs the interior light fades. Its output goes directly to the lighting (not through the fusebox). You'll have to tap into one of the lights directly. The easiest to access is one of the footwell lights.

Old 07-13-2010 | 08:03 PM
Agarwaen
|
5th Gear
Alright, thank you. It does control the fade from the hot side, through adjusting the voltage doesn't it? I think i remember reading that somewhere, now.

Old 07-13-2010 | 09:24 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Yes, it controls fade from the hot side, not by adjusting voltage but through PWM (pulse wave modulation -- rapid on/off pulsing of the power). PWM works well for LEDs and is a common way to dim them.

Old 07-13-2010 | 09:31 PM
Agarwaen
|
5th Gear
ahh, Alright. Thanks again. I will Fix it tomorrow.

Old 07-29-2010 | 10:21 PM
MyMiniGidget
2nd Gear
you may want to check your state law before installing lights on the exterior. in most places having blue or red exterior lights on the front of your car illegal. If they come on anytime your car unlocks you may have an unfortunate meeting with the Cops. Down here they arent to nice to people with lights, we arent aloud to have blue exterior lights at all. Just some food for thought

Old 07-29-2010 | 11:08 PM
Agarwaen
|
5th Gear
Lukily, the only time they will be on private property, (parking lots) where lighting laws are not enforceable. But people around here drive around so illegally that I doubt it will really matter. At least half of the people always drive with HIs on all the time at night. That and 80% of people do at least 10 over. I feel like a granny driving the speed limit, but I do.

The lights aren't any more exterior than the interior lights. All you see is the reflection in the scoop, not the lights themselves.