Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Electrical Gremlin?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 05:05 AM
MrCooperS
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Electrical Gremlin?

My car wouldn't start so I took the battery out and had Autozone charge it. They said the battery is at 50% and charged it. They then tested it and said it was a good battery and it was in pretty good condition seeing that it's almost 3 years old. Brought it home, installed it and the car fired up.

This morning as I was driving it, everything was normal until I pulled into the parking lot. I noticed every time I turned the steering wheel when I was parked, the clock would turn off. As if everytime the power steering was activated, the clock would die. Then I turned of the engine and started walking away and noticed my day time driving lights and head lights were on. Which is weird because I checked the car out and it was off; I didn't turn it on! I stared at my car for about 30 seconds and then it turned off... weird.

What's the problem? Any guesses?

Old 09-19-2010, 05:41 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Hey H!

Sounds like the battery is kahput.....even after charging one like that bad cells in the battery will not hold a charge for long. The PS pump draws some heavy amps.

When you purchase a new battery, it's always best to have the charging system tested before swapping them out. Reason being is that if it ends up being the alternator which made your battery go south in the first place, you will be back to square one in need of a new battery once again down the road..

Old 09-19-2010, 05:45 AM
MrCooperS
I recently just swapped out the alternator. I don't think it's the alternator because the last time the alternator died, I could barely drive the car when I jumped it (dead battery). The alternator couldn't power the car. But this time, when the battery died, I can jump the car and drive it no problem; assuming the alternator is good enough to run the car. I'm wondering it can be anything but the alternator and battery...

Old 09-19-2010, 05:47 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
The fact the battery was down to 50% with regular driving is worrisome....then the electrical oddities...makes it sound like the alternator is not putting out enough to support the load....so many odd things happen with these cars when the batteries are weak or the voltage is low...I think (hope) that is to blame.
The PS pump is a big load...since the clock was turning off when it was active...seems like you found a good diy load test. I would think the alternator is weak.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:49 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
If the alternator has been recently replaced H, then how old is the battery ? Most last only about 5-6 years tops.

When they do go, the gremlins create all sorts of electrical debauchery to our cars....strange but true.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:51 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
The alternator should be capable of powering everything...and recharging the battery with minimal driving....sure the battery might be dead or have a dead cell...what is the batty voltage full... The let it sit for a few hours, check the voltage again...could be a bad cell...if a battery was run flat a time or two,,,it can kill them.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:58 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
You could have a huge parasitic load, or a failed battery cable...one that is "leaking" power..rubbed trough the rubber, or corroded or cracked internaly so the power is not getting to/from the battery, alternator and fuse blocks...
Check for bad grounds too!!
One thing...if the alterntor is kinds new...a few months...and you are having issues...might be kinda like infant mortality...it might be toast..rebuilds can go..voltage is ok perhaps, but sounds like amps are lacking.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:00 AM
MrCooperS
What my assumption was is that during the time my car was down (when I had to order and wait for the alternator), the battery just sat there for a few weeks. My assumption is that I haven't driven the car enough since then to fully charge the battery back up?

Old 09-19-2010, 06:01 AM
MrCooperS
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
If the alternator has been recently replaced H, then how old is the battery ? Most last only about 5-6 years tops.

When they do go, the gremlins create all sorts of electrical debauchery to our cars....strange but true.
Battery is almost 3 years old.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:29 AM
NightFlyR
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with the others, I think it is the Alternator, I have seen re builds die and or blow up after a few weeks. Do a load test and also test the cells on the battery if it is not one of the maintenance free ones

Last edited by NightFlyR; 09-19-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:44 AM
MrCooperS
How do I go about doing these "tests"?

Old 09-19-2010, 08:08 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Take the battery out...and some chargers have a test feature...for the batt...some also have an alternator test feature...a rubrumitry load test..with the fans on, lights on, etc...it checks to see if the batt is still getting charged...or if it is discharging.
The real test is remove the alternator..bring it to an auto place, and they spin it and see what it will make vs the rated output....
Battery test is done in a store in a similar way...with voltage/ampage checks...,

Old 09-19-2010, 10:52 AM
NightFlyR
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can also buy Hydrometer cell tester, you open the caps to the battery, and suck up some of the electrolite in the tube, there are ***** in the tube and depending on how many float tells you how much of a charge that cell is holding., if none of the ***** float you have a dead cell.

http://www.batterystuff.com/battery-...s/EZBK101.html

Old 09-19-2010, 03:00 PM
MrCooperS
I don't think I have to run any more tests. I pulled it into my driveway today and left the car on, went around to the boot and pulled the negative off the battery. I turned the steering wheel a bit and the engine started to choke, the radio started fussing, lights turned on and off and the power steering turned off. I think it's a bad alternator. I'll have to email the vendor and have them send me a new one. Life time warranty!

Now my assumption is that the alternator stopped charging the battery and the battery was at 50% and not enough to start my car. When I jumped it, it was good enough for me to drive home. After the battery was recharged, my car is driving fine because the battery is full.

I remembered smelling metal smoke as I was getting out of the car this previous Monday and thought it was just construction nearby where I parked. Perhaps that was the alternator's dying breath.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:09 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MrCooperS
.............I remembered smelling metal smoke as I was getting out of the car this previous Monday and thought it was just construction nearby where I parked. Perhaps that was the alternator's dying breath.

Naww....that was just the special smoke they put in it to make it work...just get a new can of it....put it in...and put the cover on tight this time!!
DO NOT LET THE MAGIC SMOKE OUT!! If you do..the item will stop working!!

On a more serious note, It sounds like you might be right!!
I'd get the battery tested...Deeply discharging it is hard on them...you might still get some $$ on the old batt towards the new one (they pro-rate them after 12 months usually...but with winter comming...you need a good battery)!!

Old 09-19-2010, 03:14 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
And one tip...in the future...don't do that old school test on a modern car...the battery acts like a sponge absorbing spikes, and steadying electrical system...it is easy to fry electronics, computers, and voltage regulators that way...in the old days..it worked...today...not such a good idea..but it is cheap and easy...