Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical Any concerns about unplugging Footwell module?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 10:17 AM
d@g
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any concerns about unplugging Footwell module?

Before I take my front bumper off to look for a pre-wired fog light connector (not likely), I thought I'd check to see if I had foglight wires coming out of the Footwell module. If not, I know there can't be a pre-wire for the fogs and I can build a wire harness before taking off the bumper to install the OEM fogs.

If I do find the wires exiting the footwell module, I'm going to assume the wiring in the bumper is there. In order to verify, I need to unplug the X14260 and X14261 connectors on the footwell and examine if the following are present:

X14260, pin 3, yellow-brown wire for right fog.
X14261, ping 37, yellow-brown wire for left fog.

I can't find any warnings about unplugging the footwell module, does anyone know if there are any consequences?

Old 02-13-2012, 11:06 AM
ammodave
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I can't answer your footwell module question but I can recommend that you don't remove your bumper just to check for fog light wiring. You can just remove the headlights and grill to gain access to the wiring if it's there. New fog lights can be installed without removing the bumper although it's a little tricky.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:10 AM
Scooter09
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You can get to the foglights through the bottom opening in the wheel well... if that helps...

Old 02-14-2012, 10:46 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
as Scooter09 said. to see if the wiring is there all you have to do is remove the round cover in the wheel well where you would change the bulb from.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:06 AM
d@g
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by schatzy62
as Scooter09 said. to see if the wiring is there all you have to do is remove the round cover in the wheel well where you would change the bulb from.
Tried that, but didn't find anything promising. The way MINI tucked up the pre-wire for the rear fog (even some dealers couldn't find it), I didn't expect it to be dangling there waiting to be found. If it is there (and I've not heard of anyone who's found it), it is likely to be folded back and taped up in a place that's out of the way.

I don't think it's that difficult a task to pull the bumper skin. I figure I'll build the start of a harness first using a conventional H8/H11 connector. That way when I pull the bumper, I'll install the fogs and the wires will either be there, or not, but I can plug in and route the new harness and put the bumper back on. I know it's possible to remove the headlamps and access the foglight housing from above, but that may be just as much work and not provide enough access to search for any hidden wires. From what I've read, pulling the skin is perhaps a 20 minute job.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:59 AM
SooperCuperErik
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry, small thread jack... Any idea if the headlights or parking light wires are on this connector as well? Do you have a diagram for that? It'd be a very nice and easy way to tap one of my gauges for dimming, as the dash lights don't provide the proper amperage to actuate the correct dimming on the gauge.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:57 AM
SODA66
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by d@g
Tried that, but didn't find anything promising. The way MINI tucked up the pre-wire for the rear fog (even some dealers couldn't find it), I didn't expect it to be dangling there waiting to be found. If it is there (and I've not heard of anyone who's found it), it is likely to be folded back and taped up in a place that's out of the way.

I don't think it's that difficult a task to pull the bumper skin. I figure I'll build the start of a harness first using a conventional H8/H11 connector. That way when I pull the bumper, I'll install the fogs and the wires will either be there, or not, but I can plug in and route the new harness and put the bumper back on. I know it's possible to remove the headlamps and access the foglight housing from above, but that may be just as much work and not provide enough access to search for any hidden wires. From what I've read, pulling the skin is perhaps a 20 minute job.
I am getting ready to replace my DRLs (do not have Fogs) with some Blinglights BL500K Fog and Driving lights with white angel eyes. I plan to do this today. I will probably just hook up the angel eyes to the factory wired DRL lights and then run the other light to the battery with a switch. Attached are some bumper removal instructions I got from someone else on this site.

I checked and could not find the document I attached. I do not know how to get it attached to this email link. I will send you a copy to your email address on the gallery link.

Last edited by SODA66; 02-15-2012 at 08:06 AM. Reason: for attachment