Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical My HID Retrofit: Facelift Xenon Guts into Facelift Halogen Housings

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 10:55 AM
Carmichael
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My HID Retrofit: Facelift Xenon Guts into Facelift Halogen Housings

After tirelessly researching HID retrofit options for Lynne, I had come to the conclusion that the best route would be to retrofit my OEM halogen headlamps with the projector, shroud, and trim from '05-'06 OEM Xenon headlamps. For some added kick, I added 55w Morimoto D2S ballasts and bulbs.

My reasons are as follows:

- OEM look: Too many of the HID HALO DRL DUAL PROJECTOR BLACKOUT BLING BLING headlamps on eBay (to me) just look too cheap and chintzy. I've heard the projectors have poor light output and beam pattern, and were originally designed to run halogen bulbs.

- Obviates the need for washing system and sensors: I've found that with careful and diligent combing of CraigsList and eBay, one can purchase an OEM xenon headlamp, bulbs, ballasts, igniters and all, for around $200 each (I picked both of mine up for $185 shipped, for both; more on this later). The associated washing system, leveling sensors, and necessary "stealership" ECU programming would have made this project too costly to tackle for most.

- Less Weight: A no-brainer. With a car like ours, power-to-weight is imperative to performance. Losing the washing system and leveling brackets means less mass, and in the case of the leveling sensors and arms, unsprung weight!

- Adequate Parts Commonality: It appears that the only differences between the facelifted Xenon and Halogen headlamps are the hardware inside (projector, bulb, ballast, igniter, wiring harness inside), and the cut-out at the bottom left/right of the headlight "buckets" for the input/output lines to and from the ballast to the igniter. The HID projectors, shroud, and trim bolt right into the halogen buckets.

- Cleaner Appearance: Yes. I can be picky at times. I never liked how the washer protruded out of the chrome ring, or the washer flap. The purely oval headlamp rings look better to me.

- Cost Savings: This was the first time anyone (at least to my knowledge) has tried to perform a retrofit this way. I've made a few mistakes here and there (the silver coating on those plastic parts may as well have been dusted on ), so my first retrofit doesn't look quite so picture-perfect. However, all that needs to be done are to repaint the projector shrouds and maybe, replace the driver side headlamp ring. All told, however, my retrofit cost me around $400-500 (exact tally to come).

I'm at work right now, but here's a teaser shot. I'll write something up in the next few days.

Attached Thumbnails My HID Retrofit: Facelift Xenon Guts into Facelift Halogen Housings-425421_568985117729_62801053_31365141_1299195483_n.jpg  
Old 02-16-2012, 11:44 AM
scf
5th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Nicely done! how's the light output?

Old 02-16-2012, 12:17 PM
Carmichael
4th Gear
The light output is impressive, compared to a 35w system like the OEM Bosch ballasts in the headlamps. I ran into a few snags with the infamous flicker effect, but I replaced the powered harness for the 55w ballasts with a harness containing built-in resistors to fool the ECU into thinking it was powering halogen bulbs. It worked like a charm, but then one of my ballasts went out!

Luckily it was covered under warranty. I ordered all my parts from TheRetrofitSource.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:36 PM
IrishCooper
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Do you have a how to on this? I'm looking at getting an 03 MCS with Standard non Xenon lights, and that's the only thing it doesn't have that I want, and I agree your way is much cleaner, so granted I can find the parts (leads might be helpful too) I'm curious how you assembled them.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:23 PM
Agarwaen
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'll warn you about pre-facelift headlight housings, you probably will not get them open without destroying them. Your best bet is to just buy a set of 05-06 xenons bolt em on and have the dealer program em in.

I just went through hell retrofitting a set of aftermarket projectors into my pre-facelift xenons.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:08 PM
jake.stallman
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carmichael, I am trying to put OEM faceliftd xenons in place of my 05 halogens, but having issues with them turning on. Where did you get the harness with the built in resistors, that would probably solve my problem.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:57 PM
Carmichael
4th Gear
www.theretrofitsource.com

They will flicker a few times on start-up, but stabilize soon after.

I've been meaning to do a writeup for this project, but I've been so damn busy as of late that I haven't had time. :(

Old 02-25-2014, 05:28 PM
Carmichael
4th Gear
I *kinda* wish I went with 4300k bulbs instead of 5000k. The light is almost a little blue for my tastes, but I didn't want the little bit of yellow with the 4300k bulbs.

I can switch out to the stock Philips 85122+s that came in the stock headlamps, though ...

Attached Thumbnails My HID Retrofit: Facelift Xenon Guts into Facelift Halogen Housings-20130401_220637.jpg