Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical OEM Style Driving Lights for Less Installed (Wipac)

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012 | 08:41 AM
Mini///M
|
5th Gear
OEM Style Driving Lights for Less Installed (Wipac)

So I have been looking around for a set of Driving Lights that would give me a little more high-beam visibility. I searched "Driving Lights", "Rally Lights", "Long Lights", "High Beam Lights", "Bumper Lights", "Jeep Lights", "Mud Lights", "Spot Lights". After buying a few different aftermarket lights I realized what I wanted was the OEM Driving Lights Kit. They just seem to "fit" the car nicely, just as MINI expected to do so when they made the kit.

I looked around at a few sites that had a good discount on the kit compared to the dealer. I had prices from $450-$625. Honestly, still way too expensive for my blood. I couldn't seem to find a set of lights like the OEM and then I would still have to figure out the bracketing. BUT OF COURSE after a day of looking around at a bunch of threads on this site I finally found what I was looking for. Thanks ammodave for your post on one of the threads.

Wipac makes a set of lights that are identical to the OEM BMW ones. Quickly I realized that no one in the US sells these lights. They have to be shipped out from overseas. I went onto eBay.co.uk and found a few sellers quickly. One of the best pricing for a full kit came from MadAutoParts. He also had a website so I looked around to make sure it wasn't fishy. Good feedback. I sent a message to Martin and he let me know that it was a good kit, complete with everything I needed (lights, brackets, wiring, relay, switch), but they only sold the Brushed Steel finish at the moment. I really wanted black but at the price I didn't care. It came out to £106.99 GBP shipped to me (Royal Mail). From payment to in my hands it took exactly 8 days (Kesgrave, Suffolk UK to 20 minutes outside of NYC). Everything came in proper working order, well packaged, couldn't really ask for more.

So I drove over to my dad's shop. The kit came with simple instruction and a template drawing to know where to cut your front grill. The brackets were on in 1 minute, designed nicely. We took a while to measure and the front grill. We wanted to make sure we didn't overcut so we just kept making adjustments and trying it back on for about 20 minutes. Finally the grill fit nicely with the brackets. One of the mechanics at the shop ran the wiring their and had it hooked up to my highbeams in literally 15 minutes. He secured the wiring with a ziptie and it was done. I couldn't believe how quickly it was knocked out.

I am going to detail the car this weekend and but a nice coat of polish on the driving lamps. There is pollen everywhere and we had a little rain so everything just looks filthy. Anyway, just adding some information to the site. The kit cost around $170 I think but it did come with everything. I really only needed the brackets and lights but I still think it was a great deal.

Old 04-19-2012 | 08:55 AM
Drobinson1692
4th Gear
very nicely done. i'll have to consider this if i ever wanna go this route. I almost would have mounted them a hair closer together if i were you.

But great work and thanks for the info!

Old 04-19-2012 | 09:04 AM
ammodave
5th Gear
Nice job! I've had my Wipacs for about a year and am still pleased with the look. If they start to look a little dull, just wipe them down with white vinegar and it brings the shine right back.

Old 04-19-2012 | 01:20 PM
cvittas
2nd Gear
I have seen this kit before on ebay, but I wasn't sure about the optical result... Now I see these fit really good..

Can you post any photos of the wiring? Did you use the switch, or they are activated with the high beam?

Old 04-19-2012 | 09:11 PM
ammodave
5th Gear
Not my thread but I'll chime in again anyway. I put mine on to replace a set of Hella 500s that I felt were too big for my tastes. The light output is at least as good as the Hellas in my opinion. I wired mine with a switch in the oem position but you could just as easily wire them to come on anytime you hit your high beams. I bought mine from Ebay UK for the better price and the stainless steel that wasn't available here at the time.

Old 05-16-2012 | 07:27 AM
Wilziak
Neutral
Hey, just curious. What year is your car? I found the same lights from madautoparts on ebay and I want to get them but on their ad it says it fits 2007-2010 R56's and I have a 2011. Do you know if they changed the grill or do you think it would fit?

Also, curious, do they remove pictures after a while on the forum or is there another reason I can't see the picture in the first post. It is just a small white - mark.

Old 05-16-2012 | 11:27 AM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
I've got the Wipacs on my first gen - also stainless. I bought a set of chrome Wipacs first (by accident). The finish on the chrome is absolutely superb. Full show quality. But I didn't want to worry about upkeep, so I ordered another set in Stainless. For those who really care how they look, the chrome is definitely a step up.

I didn't use a switch. I wired the trigger for the relay directly to the main beams. I think the switch is useful for lamps with covers. Since I don't cover mine, they may as well come on whenever I need full lighting, and off when dipped.

Old 05-18-2012 | 03:08 PM
Mini///M
|
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Wilziak
Hey, just curious. What year is your car? I found the same lights from madautoparts on ebay and I want to get them but on their ad it says it fits 2007-2010 R56's and I have a 2011. Do you know if they changed the grill or do you think it would fit?

Also, curious, do they remove pictures after a while on the forum or is there another reason I can't see the picture in the first post. It is just a small white - mark.
Its a 2009. I bought them from Martin at MadAutoParts, and yeah found him through eBay. The actual mesh front grill should be identical. In any case, you have to trim your own grill down to get the brackets to peek through for mounting the lights. So you should have no problems. My pictures should be showing no problem. I just checked and I can clearly see them. I can shoot you an email if that helps you.

Originally Posted by Blackbomber
I've got the Wipacs on my first gen - also stainless. I bought a set of chrome Wipacs first (by accident). The finish on the chrome is absolutely superb. Full show quality. But I didn't want to worry about upkeep, so I ordered another set in Stainless. For those who really care how they look, the chrome is definitely a step up.

I didn't use a switch. I wired the trigger for the relay directly to the main beams. I think the switch is useful for lamps with covers. Since I don't cover mine, they may as well come on whenever I need full lighting, and off when dipped.
^Agreed. I used mine for high beams so they only activate when I use the stalk click for them. Keep those badboys exposed always

Old 06-06-2012 | 07:42 AM
mikeyb74
6th Gear
I did a search on ebay for Martin and came up with this seller name MadAutoParts2008. He doesn't have anything listed currently. So I sent him a message.

Here is the link to his website http://www.madautoparts.com/

Last edited by mikeyb74; 06-06-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old 06-06-2012 | 08:06 AM
JPR18
3rd Gear
They don't make them in black, do they? Maybe I can just plastidip them....

Old 06-06-2012 | 08:24 AM
mikeyb74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JPR18
Thats why I sent Martin a message.

Old 06-06-2012 | 10:41 AM
Dozuki01
4th Gear
Thanks for sharing this info as I was getting a quote from the dealer for $1K installed. Can you share how the wiring was done so we don't have to use the toggle switch.

This is why NAM is awesome for the MINI community.

Old 06-06-2012 | 11:18 AM
mikeyb74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Dozuki01
Thanks for sharing this info as I was getting a quote from the dealer for $1K installed. Can you share how the wiring was done so we don't have to use the toggle switch.

This is why NAM is awesome for the MINI community.

$1g to install? That is high! My dealer quoted me $680 for parts and install. Or $305 for just install if I bought my own parts.

Old 06-06-2012 | 11:46 AM
Dozuki01
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mikeyb74
$1g to install? That is high! My dealer quoted me $680 for parts and install. Or $305 for just install if I bought my own parts.
$1K for lights kit and installations.

Old 06-06-2012 | 05:11 PM
Mini///M
|
5th Gear
CHEAP LIGHT KIT ALERT!

$92.21 + 35.35 Shipping

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-S-S-Spot-L...ht_2453wt_1165

Old 06-06-2012 | 05:45 PM
ammodave
5th Gear
Probably not a good idea; in my experience stainless steel does not take paint well (prone to chipping and peeling). If you must have black, consider the Hella 500s.

Old 06-06-2012 | 07:20 PM
AdrenaliNate
3rd Gear
Looks like Bolt on Bits DOES carry these lamps in black! No need to risk painting stainless steel. Now don't you all go and clear them out before I can get a set!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Black-Spot...item3375d870fe

Old 06-06-2012 | 07:36 PM
JPR18
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by AdrenaliNate
Looks like Bolt on Bits DOES carry these lamps in black! No need to risk painting stainless steel. Now don't you all go and clear them out before I can get a set!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Black-Spot...item3375d870fe
Go for it, and post pics! But for that price I might as well get 500s..with VIP brackets (is that what most people use for grille mounts?). Plus, I'm not a big fan of the free form reflectors.

Old 06-06-2012 | 07:49 PM
mikeyb74
6th Gear
So has anyone used the OEM switch, control module, and wiring with these lights? I might just piece a kit together from OEM and aftermarket sourced parts.

Old 01-01-2013 | 07:45 AM
pezking6983
Banned
Mini///M,

Where did you mount the driving light switch. I have the exact same kit and was wondering where a good spot for it is. Pictures would be awesome.

The seller did not provide me with wiring instructions. Does anyone have a link to the wiring instructions?

What is the best way to "snake" the wires from the bonnet to the interior of the car?

Thanks.

Old 01-01-2013 | 08:08 AM
ammodave
5th Gear
I put my switch in the oem position on the knee bolster https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...856-post9.html. Since I did the install, I have changed the wiring so that the driving lights stay on anytime the high beams are on. I now just use the switch to turn on my diy oem fog lights. I ran the wires thru the large grommet that's located inside the little compartment that houses the brake/clutch fluid reservoir. It's a little difficult but it can be done by shoving a wire thru the grommet from under the dash. If you choose not to install a switch, it will simplify your installation and keep all your wiring under the hood.

Last edited by ammodave; 01-01-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Old 01-01-2013 | 08:32 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Go for it, and post pics! But for that price I might as well get 500s..with VIP brackets (is that what most people use for grille mounts?). Plus, I'm not a big fan of the free form reflectors.
VIP Custom brackets are perfect for Hella 500's (Black Magics in this case)

They are very very bright with 6000k HID's...

I started off with OEM rally lights (TOTAL ripoff for anybody ordering from the factory!) so already had the OEM on/off switch.

Old 04-14-2013 | 05:41 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
For crying out loud! How did I miss these posts?! We installed the OEM mounting brackets and put 4" lights from eBay on them. Don't like them. Going to research these and hope they will be able to be mounted on OEM brackets. Anybody know if they will??!!!

Old 05-10-2013 | 10:33 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Ok, need to revive this thread for any one out there looking for a great, much less expensive alternative to the OEM driving lights! I ordered mine. Also found out you can save around $5 by ordering them from www.madautoparts.com as opposed to his ebay listings. They also now have them in black!!!!!!

Old 05-21-2013 | 01:19 PM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Got the lights, and they are superb! Mounted them on my grill and they look great. Any good tips on wiring them to a 2010 Clubman??!!! Husband seems to think he can do it, but also seems hesitant...HELP!!!

Quick Reply: Electrical OEM Style Driving Lights for Less Installed (Wipac)