Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical Ultra-Gauge install in place of Openometer

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 04:17 PM
jbat66
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ultra-Gauge install in place of Openometer

I installed my Ultra-Gauge in place of the dumb Openometer.

I cut out a piece of soft velcro and placed on the Openometer. I made sure I had a good fit, as I did not want light to bleed around it.

I did this for a couple of reasons. One, I wanted to mount my Ultra-Gauge close to my other gauges. Two, If I decide I don't want my Ultra-Gauge there, I can use it for a phone holder, or I can velcro pictures or anything to the openometer face.

I used a Kensington Universal Windshield Car Mount for Smartphones (
Amazon Amazon
)

I built up the back (because the Openometer's face is set back about 1/2") with craft foam. $0.99 a sheet. You only need one sheet. I ended up using some spray glue, "Scotch Super 77", to glue the foam to the phone holder, and the velcro to the openometer.

One of the benefits of this setup, is that the Ultra-Gauge, buttons can be used from the front, by pressing on the edges of the Gauge. See the video.

Please note: You will not be able to restore your openometer, unless you take it apart, remove the clear plastic face, and either clean it or replace it. In other words, this is fairly permanent!

Attached Thumbnails Ultra-Gauge install in place of Openometer-img_2449.jpg   Ultra-Gauge install in place of Openometer-img_2453.jpg   Ultra-Gauge install in place of Openometer-img_2457.jpg