Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical Retrofitting Connected and Convenience Start/Open

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 09:20 AM
avuton
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Retrofitting Connected and Convenience Start/Open

Hello,

I've been curious as to what would be necessary to retrofit Connected (without nav) and Convenience Start / Open in my vehicle. This is a just for fun and DIY type inquiry. There is a small chance that I'd take on one or both one day, if I get it entirely figured out. It would also be post-warranty, as I'm not really looking to void it.

So, I've done some research with the Bentley and the normal parts places. It seems like I could make my own harness outside of the normal main wiring harness wiring looms. If the Bentleys wiring diagrams are accurate and complete, I think I have a good idea what would be necessary, materials and labor wise to do the convenience start and open. Convenience would cost $1400-$1500 to DIY retrofit, as far as I can tell.

So, questions I have:
As far as Connected goes, I don't see anything in the wiring manual about it at all. Has the documentation for Connected stuff been omitted? All the components would be easy enough to get, but I can't find anything about specific Connected wiring.

Am I correct in assuming that I can just wire in my own harness to add these retrofits? Also, any other thoughts would be appreciated.