Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Xenon to Halogen

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 05:08 PM
MiniBlueVancouver
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xenon to Halogen

Has anyone else done this? Is this possible? Was it plug and play?

My driver-side Xenon has failed (not the bulb or control unit, I've tried troubleshooting) and I need to replace it.

I am particularly interested in changing to 05-06 Halogens instead of replacing the failed Xenon. The facelifted lights are cheaper and I like the look more anyway. Are the harnesses the same on the Xenon and Halogen headlights? Did the harnesses change with the facelift?

Thanks!

Bryan

Old 02-22-2013, 08:11 AM
ViperNL
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 03-01-2013, 11:39 AM
MiniBlueVancouver
2nd Gear
Thanks for your reply. I already searched for the answer to my question and could not find it; everyone wants to go the other way around or has swapped same generation assemblies.

I spoke with the service manager at the dealership on this and he told me an 05+ Halogen will be pnp into an 03 with Xenons; it should work fine as the wiring harness is the same.

I have ordered a pair of 05+ headlamps from Pelican, installing in a little over a week. I will post the results.

Bryan

Old 03-01-2013, 01:10 PM
nomadwillie
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniBlueVancouver
Thanks for your reply. I already searched for the answer to my question and could not find it; everyone wants to go the other way around or has swapped same generation assemblies.

I spoke with the service manager at the dealership on this and he told me an 05+ Halogen will be pnp into an 03 with Xenons; it should work fine as the wiring harness is the same.

I have ordered a pair of 05+ headlamps from Pelican, installing in a little over a week. I will post the results.

Bryan
I am certainly no expert on the MINI Xenon to Halogen, however coming from the motorcycle world we have addressed this over and over. Xenon have ballasts and thus wired with them. Halogen do not have ballast.

Xenon typical have a different lense and reflector than halogen and neither is particularily effective with one another.

Just my uneducated MINI .02 on the lights. I will be looking forward to your progress.

Of course I am not going to ask why you are doing this, but if you feel up to letting us know, I would be interested

Willie

Old 03-10-2013, 07:27 PM
MiniBlueVancouver
2nd Gear
Update

I am happy to confirm that the 05-06 Halogen assemblies were a pnp swap from my 03 Xenons. They are installed and working perfectly!

I changed to Halogen due to the replacement cost of the Xenon units. My driver-side was dead and I decided to spend ~$370 for both Halogens vs. $500 for one Xenon. I wanted to go to 05-06 assemblies because a) I prefer the look and b) they are cheaper.

Happy motoring!

Old 03-14-2013, 04:43 PM
dirklay
Neutral
Did the Halogen lights come with a new controller? or do you even need a controller with Halogens? I'm probably going to replace mine for the same reasons you stated; I have a 2003 S.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:18 PM
MiniBlueVancouver
2nd Gear
There are no controllers on the Halogen assemblies, none are required.

The Halogen units I bought from Pelican Parts came with the bulbs installed; all I had to do was mount them and plug in the wiring harness.

It is nice having two working headlights again.