Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical ncs expert for 2013?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013 | 08:07 AM
mrtristan
|
1st Gear
ncs expert for 2013?

newbie here... got my first mini in march and absolutely love it... it's a 2013 cooper s.

couple questions... there are some things that i'd love to be able to do... like closing windows with the remote and enabling the blinking alarm light and such.

is NCS Expert compatible with late model mini's like mine? i've read mention of a different cable being required for later models? not sure which i should pick up if NCSE is compatible at all...

does using NCSE affect our warrantys at all? will the dealership give us slack for doing so? i've done some searching but haven't come up with much...

thanks guys

Old 06-09-2013 | 07:53 AM
kavatski
3rd Gear
I also have a '13 R56 S, April production. Went at it with NCSExpert and the cable from ecutool.com that's recommended in one of the other threads - no problems at all. Worked exactly the same as described for other model years. I used the latest (V49) datens I could find to make sure it was as up-to-date as possible.

Alarm blink will not work on our cars - my understanding from reading other comments is that the 2011+ cars are missing wiring to make this work. If you don't have the alarm you don't get the light unless you wire it up.

I added the comfort closing (windows/sunroof) and one-touch sunroof open/close, disabled A/C auto engagement, got rid of the speed in the tach and the road freeze warning, and removed the Canadian code so I had control over the DRLs.

I don't see any real warranty concerns here. The car can be returned at any time to its factory settings.

Old 06-09-2013 | 08:43 AM
mrtristan
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by kavatski
I also have a '13 R56 S, April production. Went at it with NCSExpert and the cable from ecutool.com that's recommended in one of the other threads - no problems at all. Worked exactly the same as described for other model years. I used the latest (V49) datens I could find to make sure it was as up-to-date as possible.

Alarm blink will not work on our cars - my understanding from reading other comments is that the 2011+ cars are missing wiring to make this work. If you don't have the alarm you don't get the light unless you wire it up.

I added the comfort closing (windows/sunroof) and one-touch sunroof open/close, disabled A/C auto engagement, got rid of the speed in the tach and the road freeze warning, and removed the Canadian code so I had control over the DRLs.

I don't see any real warranty concerns here. The car can be returned at any time to its factory settings.
you are awesome :-) thanks so much for confirming everything for me. I've already tracked down the latest datens that I could find (49.3) and got all the software and instructions together. the only thing I haven't done yet is ordered the cable and once again: thanks so much for confirming that that cheaper cable will work and that I won't need the $100 one. :-)

that's incredibly unfortunate that the alarm light won't work. that was one of the things I was really hoping to be able to turn on. it's funny that you pretty much did everything else that I want to do so that's awesome that that all will work.

would that alarm wiring be a huge job? is it actually wiring up to the tach that is required or is it something silly like a fuse or something like that?

and I just saw something online earlier about retrofitting rear fog lights... it seems that if you don't have fogs in the back then chances are everything is already there except the switch in the console and the codes.... any experience with that? I see white lights down on the bottom of my rear bumper so I'm assuming that's what that is. I'm gonna go outside in a bit and have someone stand behind the car while I poke some buttons and such to verify that those don't do anything.

Old 06-09-2013 | 08:47 AM
mrtristan
|
1st Gear
duplicate post. ignore

Last edited by mrtristan; 06-10-2013 at 03:21 PM. Reason: duplicate post
Old 06-10-2013 | 04:06 PM
kavatski
3rd Gear
In the rear bumper the lights are a combo of rear fogs (red) and the backup lights (white). I have the factory rear fogs so I can't speak to the exact process for retrofitting those on a 2013, but I believe I've read that everything is wired up and you just need the switch and to enable them in the car's coding.

I also didn't look into the alarm light blink anymore once I read that it needed to be wired, but I found that info in a thread in this forum so a search might turn it up with more info.

I went out again yesterday and tweaked things a little more. Got rid of the "key in ignition" sound, made it so the trip odometer and the regular odometer show on the same line, and made the auto headlights less sensitive.

Yes, the cheaper cable will work, at least the one from ecutool.com. I think I paid $50-60 for it. When you get yours you'll be all set!

Old 06-10-2013 | 04:13 PM
danjreed
6th Gear

What cable did you buy?

I just got a 2013 and want to tweak a few things..

Old 06-10-2013 | 05:43 PM
kavatski
3rd Gear
The cable mentioned in the first post, "NCSExpert for beginners" thread:

http://www.ecutool.com/productshow.asp?id=1939&sortsid=&sorts=

US$35.99 + shipping from HK.

Old 06-10-2013 | 05:49 PM
danjreed
6th Gear

Thanks!

Old 06-22-2013 | 08:17 AM
mrtristan
|
1st Gear

mine has been sitting at the post office since last weekend. just finally got around to picking it up(had to sign for it and work during the week).

fingers are crossed that i can pull all of this off :-P

Old 06-22-2013 | 11:39 AM
mrtristan
|
1st Gear
In the rear bumper the lights are a combo of rear fogs (red) and the backup lights (white). I have the factory rear fogs so I can't speak to the exact process for retrofitting those on a 2013, but I believe I've read that everything is wired up and you just need the switch and to enable them in the car's coding.

I also didn't look into the alarm light blink anymore once I read that it needed to be wired, but I found that info in a thread in this forum so a search might turn it up with more info.

I went out again yesterday and tweaked things a little more. Got rid of the "key in ignition" sound, made it so the trip odometer and the regular odometer show on the same line, and made the auto headlights less sensitive.

Yes, the cheaper cable will work, at least the one from ecutool.com. I think I paid $50-60 for it. When you get yours you'll be all set!
after spending most of the day on it, i finally figured things out and quite happy with myself. i sucessfully did a couple of the things you mentioned but i'm curious as to if you were able to (if you tried) to play with any of the settings in the FRM2 module? i don't see the FRM2 module listed in the module list when i'm in NCSE...

heres are the codes that i'm looking to play with in FRM2:

https://docs.google.com/a/mrtristan....FE&hl=en#gid=0

Last edited by mrtristan; 06-22-2013 at 10:03 PM.