Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical Putco LED headlight bulb conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 06:33 PM
corcorand
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Putco LED headlight bulb conversion

Has anyone out there tried this conversion kit?
http://www.autoanything.com/lights/p...onversion-kits

Old 12-15-2014, 04:28 PM
R53Warrior
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was thinking about these for my foglights but the price is a bit high to justify when you can get Xenon kits for like $30.

Old 12-15-2014, 05:17 PM
corcorand
1st Gear
Putco LED headlight bulb conversion

The xenon conversion kits for $30 will not work properly unless you purchase a different lens. Simply putting Xenon bulbs in a headlight lens that is focused for a halogen bulb will not give a proper light pattern and will blind oncoming drivers. This is well documented here in the forum.
Putting LED headlight bulbs in will work with a proper light distribution with no need to change the lens and will be brighter than stock halogen bulbs.
So I repeat has anyone used the Putco LED conversion bulbs?

Old 12-15-2014, 09:24 PM
R53Warrior
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by corcorand
The xenon conversion kits for $30 will not work properly unless you purchase a different lens. Simply putting Xenon bulbs in a headlight lens that is focused for a halogen bulb will not give a proper light pattern and will blind oncoming drivers. This is well documented here in the forum.
Putting LED headlight bulbs in will work with a proper light distribution with no need to change the lens and will be brighter than stock halogen bulbs.
So I repeat has anyone used the Putco LED conversion bulbs?
Check your tone. Your post came across a bit disrespectful.
I was talking about fog lights which is quite a bit different in regards to glare. Also, how do you think the led bulbs will be any different? The large increase in lumen output is what causes glare as the halogen reflector housing was designed for a 55w halogen only. High powered LED bulbs will be no different. It could actually be worse as the led bulb produces light from two chips instead of a filament that sends it out 360*

Old 12-16-2014, 06:54 PM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Adding HID or LED to any light that is not designed for it will only add light that is not focused properly. It can & will blind other drivers.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:29 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
These Putco's should be a viable option over any halogen bulb as like halogens directing their light to the sides. Xenon's have a tendency to throw the light forward as well as to sides but as with any bulb upgrade, adjusting the aim may be necessary.

FWIW....I had a set of Xenon bulbs in the fogs of my R53. They were properly adjusted, and I never ever had anyone ever flash their headlights at me in over 120K miles and would still be rockin them except I have the GP body kit now ( No lower fogs )

What I have seen however, and probably what has got someone's attention here, is the growing trend of folks using them in standard halogen headlights which as previously stated blinds both oncoming traffic and can be quite annoying in the rear view.

Old 12-08-2015, 09:34 PM
danraabe
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Putco LED headlight conversion

I just installed these headlights. I am getting the bulb error on the dash. It beeps intermittently. How do I get the error message to go away?

One strange thing. When the lights are clearly off they flash by themselves -motor running.

Model: Putco Nite-LUX LED

Any thoughts?

Thanks, danraabe

Old 12-09-2015, 07:55 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,091 Likes on 1,865 Posts
You would have to code it out with NCS expert or somethings. Never used them, Are you running these in halogen headlight, if so thats not going to focus the light and blind people driving the other way. Like said above.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-01-2016, 06:18 PM
Jake Lee
1st Gear
LED KITS and Questions

I purchased my LED conversion kit from xeonhids.com. The LED kit is plug and play and does not require any special harnesses. Also, the kit is CANBUS which prevents any codes from the computer. The LED's are also adjustable- the arc of the led can be moved to focus the light pattern accordingly. The only concern I have is when I first motor, the LEDS flash for about 10 seconds (computer is testing the lighting system). Still no bulb out messages or codes- Supplier says there is no way around the flashes due to the computer checking the car- Ive searched online and have found a Putco Anti-Flicker Harness for about $34, do you think it will prevent the flashes upon start up?

LED KIT LINK
http://www.xenonhids.com/led-headlig...i-cooper-50564

HARNESS LINK
http://www.autoanything.com/lights/p...licker-harness

Old 03-01-2016, 10:02 PM
danraabe
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Putco

I have the same lights and the harness. They flicker forever and constantly ring the bell on the dash. I put up with it because they forgot to paint the streets in Denver and I simply can't see enough road in front of me. The word from Putco is that they will fix the problem sometime late 2016. Anyone want to take bets?

Old 03-02-2016, 05:35 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,091 Likes on 1,865 Posts
Jake, replied in that Ziza thread.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172