Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical dual reverse lights on an LCI?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 05:35 PM
smarsha11
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dual reverse lights on an LCI?

A recent post to this thread has prompted me to look into a possible NCS expert solution to the opposite of the dual fog light retrofit. I hate asymmetry and one of the first things I did on my 2013 JCW (LCI update removed the reverse lights in the tails and added 1 in the lower bumper) was buy a second reverse light to balance the look of the single passenger side light. Is it possible to activate it as a second reverse light with software or would it be a rewire? I basically want to energize the old fog light socket when in reverse and use it as an additional reverse light which would be more beneficial to me than a near useless fog light.

If this has been asked and answered before I apologize for my lack of decorum but I found no pertinent results during my search.

Last edited by smarsha11; 04-05-2016 at 05:59 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-05-2016, 05:56 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
It would be easier to run a new wire from the existing reverse light over to the new reverse light.

Make sure that the wire is not already there first. Maybe you'll get lucky and it is folded back in the wire loom. The 2013 S has reverse lights and wiring on both sides.

EDIT: you could also cut the rear fog wire and splice it into the reverse light wire in or near the connector for the FRM module. Which is located in the driver side footwell by the hood release.

Old 04-05-2016, 06:03 PM
smarsha11
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cerenkov
It would be easier to run a new wire from the existing reverse light over to the new reverse light.

Make sure that the wire is not already there first. Maybe you'll get lucky and it is folded back in the wire loom. The 2013 S has reverse lights and wiring on both sides.

EDIT: you could also cut the rear fog wire and splice it into the reverse light wire in or near the connector for the FRM module. Which is located in the driver side footwell by the hood release.
For most people I would agree that yes that would be easier but I work in IT and am much more comfortable with a laptop than I am with wire cutters. I really don't want to be cutting and tapping into wiring if it can be done with software.

Old 04-06-2016, 03:26 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
The software that we use is called NCS Expert. Usually we only use it to enable/disable features. I don't think that there is a way to reassign the pinouts of the connector in NCS Expert. You would have to go super deep into the code for that or use the original program that MINI/BMW used.