Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical Replaced FRM Module - Still Have Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 07:56 AM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Replaced FRM Module - Still Have Issues

Alright looking for some technical help from the experts here. Long story short, what started as replacing ballasts and Xenon headlight bulbs because one headlight wasn't working turned into having to replace the FRM module due to discovering water in the driver's footwell from a clogged sunroof drain and the old one starting to smoke. This is on a 2009 Clubman S so don't get confused by my signature lol.

Fast forward to now, there's a replacement FRM module in the car that was gotten online with the exact same part number, plugged it in and still have no lights (no running lights, headlights, turn signals, or interior dome lights) and the windows can't roll up. I also don't have comfort access working on the doors but that's to be expected if the car the module came from didn't have Comfort Access. Funnily enough, we were able to get the sunroof to shut and the mirror folding still works. I've gotten BMW Standard Tools 2.12 installed and everything seems to be working program-wise (what a headache that was *eyeroll*), but not sure what the next steps would be. It seems odd that I don't have control over windows as every MINI made had power windows. Looking for some help with this one to get the car back functioning 100%.

Old 08-18-2020, 04:00 PM
Cab00se
3rd Gear
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
The FRM part number may match but it's also coded with your VO from the factory for the options that are available, I'm not sure why that would affect your windows but it's likely due to the comfort access or heated mirrors as that gave you the option to hold the unlock button to roll them down and vice versa. The only proper solution is to code the FRM with your VO. You'll need NCS Expert to read your Vin and VO from your CAS, then write that info to your FRM.

You can grab a useable copy of the files I used to code my car from below.
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/a7jvirbs559ib/Software

Old 08-19-2020, 06:44 PM
Chernobyl
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
And if you need help with the procedure for how to modify the FA/VO string in the FRM, here's a good walk-through: https://www.bimmerfest.com/attachmen...as-pdf.363938/

The following users liked this post:
RoadTripMachine (09-24-2023)