Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Marker and Running light not working.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2024, 11:52 AM
Jackattack
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Marker and Running light not working.

I have quite the mystery to solve. I recently purchased a 05 MCSC Cool Blue, Blue interior, Blue top. It did not come with any history other than I could see it had a rough life. I'm almost done getting back to presentable shape. I could tell that the car had a collision to the passenger front that destroyed aluminum bumper support, taking out the side marker light connector. The wires were exposed. I repaired and replaced said connector with a used one. I replaced the damaged support and missing bumper. I turned on the lights and the marker light and running light on that side did not work. I swapped bulbs with the driver's side that were working and no worky. I took the connecter apart and tested the leads going in. The hot side tested about 12v on both lights. With the connecter back together, I stuck a probe of the multimeter in the positive side of the connecter and grounded them, again 12v. I took out the BCM took it apart and found no corrosion to it or the connections. I connected a test light in conjunction with the multimeter as soon as I connected eather light to ground, the test light did not go on and the multimeter showed a voltage dropped to like 3v or 122mv (it would jump around). I tested the driver side (working side) in the same way and the test light went on and multimeter show no noticeable voltage drop.

Sorry for the long expiation.
Any ideas would be helpful.
Thanks

Old 02-16-2024, 05:17 PM
Jackattack
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mystery solved. It was the Body Control Module. I replaced it with a known working one off another Mini R52 and the lights worked. I could not keep that working BCM. I did not want to go and replace the BCM for just two non-working lights so I disconnected right marker light and running light pins (pin 25 and 7 respectfully) from the x254 connector (listed as natural color, but its white). I heat shank the pin connecting ends. I used a 3- way connecter that just damages the insulation by crimping. I connected Pin 25 wire non-working right marker light (Blue with green stripe) with pin 48 (left working marker light) blue wire with yellow stripe. then Pin 11 left working running light (black wire with green stripe) to Pin 7 right non-working running light (Black wire with Blue stripe). Tested and worked. Bundled it back up and we will see how long this will last.

If things go south with the BCM, I can Easly take off the 3-way connectors and heat shrink the damaged insulation and reconnect the pins to the connector.

Last edited by Jackattack; 02-22-2024 at 10:08 AM.