Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Remote Control Auto Window Up Module

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006 | 12:43 PM
danmcg
2nd Gear
I dont know if that is the case. I'll check it and see if I get cut off.

Wait. How long will I be cut off for?

Old 01-09-2006 | 04:14 PM
Pierson
1st Gear
The door locks will typically stop working for about 60-90 seconds. I believe there is a self resetting thermal overload on them, but that is just a guess. It sure did scare me the first time I found out about it, I had a local guy that I didn't even know offer his Mini for testing. I get everything hooked up and working and all of a sudden his door locks quit! Very, very nervous I was!

Old 01-11-2006 | 02:28 PM
azminied
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by danmcg
Flippin sweet. Especially now in South Florida since I get to drive with the windows down all the time!
Toooootttalllllly AGREE!!!!
I absolutely love mine too. Installed two months ago. I did not think of just striping the wires back until afterwards when reading this post. that would have been a smart idea..... I just clipped and crimped.

ONE WARNING: "BLUE/RED wire going to the drivers door" see my post above. WARNING, warning; there are two blue/red wires. One small gauge and one larger. You want the smaller gauge wire.

I am in AZ and rarely are the SR/window closed now unless i get out of the car.

One mod I would be interested in is to selectively stop the SR in the tilted state to let the interior "breath" while parked. I AZ we must keep a window cracked or it gets to be 500 deg inside...

Thanks

Old 01-23-2006 | 03:42 PM
YELLOWMINIAZ
5th Gear
If you have any problems with your window motors are the dealerships not replacing the motors? I personally have had no problems with my windows but I hear of others that have.

Old 01-23-2006 | 04:02 PM
Pierson
1st Gear
A dealership would have a very hard time legally denying you warranty service on your power window mtor/system if any aftermarket window module is installed in your Mini. With the way the Mini window system works none of the Mini specific window modules directly interface with the power window motors, but instead through the control module. Then, the OEM control module drives the window motors. Basically, it would be almost impossible for one of these modules to cause your window motors to fail.I'm not sure about the other product manufacturers, but KPtechnologies is always willing to help any customer receive warranty work if a problem arrises (from speaking with service managers to provide technical documentation of how and why our module won't burn out power window motors).

Old 01-24-2006 | 05:50 AM
danmcg
2nd Gear
I went stripped the wires back using a razor blade. I guess I more shaved the outside of it off... Got myself a portable soldering iron. Makes mean work of solder.

I ran into that blue/red wire thing and sat there for a minute thinking I was going to have to trial and error it, but then remembered reading somewhere that it was the smaller of the two. The larger one is apparently for the power mirror. Also running up the steering column bundle are 2 big red wires. I went with the assumption that they are both the same and just hacked away.

Worked perfectly the first time!

It would be nice to have a way to stop the sunroof at the raised position. Or even just to hit a button ont he remote to make it pop up...

Old 03-16-2006 | 06:01 AM
GreenCooper
Neutral
Today i have try to install the module into my mini...UNSUCCESSFUL!!
I have made all connection between module and cables-fron-the-door
like this:

It was correct????
or this connection must be made as this?

P.s.
In this example i have used the module's green cable and the door's SMALL blue/red cable......

However i have connected:
Module's green cable W/ the small red/blue
Module's orange cable W/ the black one **
Module's blue cable w/ the blue one **
Module's yellow cable w/ the green-under-steering cable
Module's red cable w/ th FUSE w/ one of reds-under-steering cable
+ ground to chasis

** I have inverted this two cable as described in the istructions because my mini in a restyling one!

Old 03-16-2006 | 06:39 AM
Pierson
1st Gear
There is no need to cut ANY wire in the Mini. The top picture is incorrect, and will lead to a bunch of stuff not working correctly.All connections should be made like you show in the 2nd picture. Simply strip the wire back a little bit and connect the module wiring to it.Did you use a voltage meter to verify that you found the correct wires? Although many people skip this step and successfully install the module its imperative for proper troubleshooting. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Old 03-17-2006 | 01:49 AM
KevinBaker
3rd Gear
Just a quick note - just installed mine in my 03/04 MCS, works perfectly and I love it

Old 03-23-2006 | 07:32 PM
Goatherder
3rd Gear
So when is there going to be one made for the convertible? I would love to remote the top up as well as the windows. I understand about the safety issue, but having the ability to remote the top up during a rainstorm would be handy.

Old 03-23-2006 | 07:39 PM
Pierson
1st Gear
We possibly have something that will work already for the vert top. What all has to be done to raise the top (ign on, parking brake set, etc).

We have quite a range of different products and most of them can quickly and easily be adapted for new custom applications.

Old 08-09-2006 | 01:14 PM
kenru
1st Gear
One thing to be aware of: I just had to re-initialize my keys and was unable to do so with the Remote Control Auto Window Up Module installed (2005 MCS). It was necessary to disconnect the module, initialize the keys then reattach the module. No problem, just a little extra fussing around...

Old 09-04-2006 | 12:07 AM
mataku
5th Gear
I just installed this today. It's working great on my 05 with auto unlock when the ignition is turned off. I did switch the lock and the unlock wires and it works just as said.

I have one question for anyone who has installed it, where did you put the ground to? I couldn't find anywhere to do it, so I just looked for another screw attached to metal and put it there. Any specifics would be helpful, thanks in advance.

Old 09-04-2006 | 07:25 AM
Pierson
1st Gear
The ground is intended to be connected directly to the metal underdash with the supplied self drilling screw. However, if you can find a factory ground spot that will work perfect as well. The ground just needs to be permanently connected to a metal ground somewhere in the car!

Old 09-04-2006 | 09:03 AM
mataku
5th Gear
for future notice, the screw is supposed to make it's own hold correct? If so, must I use a drill or something to get it in, because I tried with a screw driver and it didn't get very far.

Old 09-04-2006 | 01:01 PM
Pierson
1st Gear
The screw is designed to make its own hole when used with a drill with a screwdriver bit. I wouldn't imagine getting very far with a hand screwdriver, although it may be possible, as the underdash appears to be aluminum and is somewhat soft. I still wouldn't try it though!

Old 09-04-2006 | 01:34 PM
mataku
5th Gear
lol, yah i only tried for a few minutes and gave up. I was thinking i had to use a drill, but that seems to defeat the whole purpose of not having to use a drill bit. Might as well use a drill bit if i'm going to have to use a drill anyways. Thanks for the response though.

Old 09-05-2006 | 07:44 PM
OutMotoring
Vendor - 15 Years
FYI, we have had lots of customers that do the Remote Auto Up mod WITH the Toggle Auto Up/MCAW that we offer.....both will work together....

OutMotoring.com: Home of the finest MINI and Aston Martin Parts + Accessories.
Shop online at www.OutMotoring.com
Free Shipping on most orders over $195 Click HERE

Old 03-02-2007 | 08:11 PM
hunter99
4th Gear
Sorry to reopen this thread but I have a few questions. I know both the one from Outmotoring and Newministuff will work but mikethemini does not ship his unit to the US. Is there a reason for this? I know his needs the alarm to install but it seems his is far easier to install that the more popular unit.

I did try to search for info on this here but I wasn't getting anywhere after a day of searching so I had to post. For those of you that do have the mikethemini one how did you get it and how exactly does it install. I have the circuit form Ian on the way but am very interested in this also.

Old 08-23-2018 | 12:36 PM
lil giant
1st Gear
HOPING ...for any updates .... at all....