Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical OEM Bluetooth Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 11:08 PM
HEMI-MINI
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM Bluetooth Install

Has any DIY'er out there done the OEM Bluetooth install? I will be doing mine in the next 2 weeks and had a few questions but cannot seem find a thread on here that may cover it.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 03-08-2006, 08:34 PM
HEMI-MINI
4th Gear
I can't believe nobody has done this install......come on guys :-)

Old 03-09-2006, 08:42 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
First of all you should be clarifying WHICH OEM Bluetooth install... there are two - the original one that was ~$400, and used a separate keypad, and the "new" fully integrated one that ties into your MFSW and requires the armrest to mount the phone... cost of parts alone ~$1250.

I don't have either yet... I plan on getting the "fancy" one at some point, if I can get the parts cheaper.

I think you'll have a hard time finding many people who have the new, expensive one... but a few out there may have the original, cheaper one. Both are still available from what I understand.

Old 03-09-2006, 05:55 PM
HEMI-MINI
4th Gear
Let me clarify....I am asking about the OEM Bluetooth $450 one with the control pad that gets mounted on one of the down tubes.

Looking for any install hints especially about the control pad itself as it is set up to be installed on the right down tube instead of the left.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 03-10-2006, 08:33 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Here's a link to the official install guide (in PDF format) for the OEM Bluetooth kit:

Official Bluetooth Kit How-To PDF

That should get you going...

However, IMHO there are MUCH better (and MUCH cheaper) solutions out there for the MINI. Check out these two write-ups I did over on MotoringFile.com for alternative Bluetooth solutions for your car:

Integrated Aftermarket Bluetooth

Integrated Aftermarket Bluetooth: Part 2

I've since upgraded my kit (that's shown in the Part 2 article) to the newer Parrot 3200-LS that has a color LCD screen. It's totally AMAZING! You can set the wallpaper to any image you want (I use a picture of my MINI) and it displays full-color photos of the incomming/outgoing caller. Here's a link to the Parrot kit:

Parrot Hands-Free Car Kits with color LCD

And here it is as a kit from NewMINIStuff.com complete with the plug-n-play interface for the MINI (this is the one I used):

Bluetooth hands free kit for Mini - Parrot 3200

I now have this kit in both of our MINIs and I'm absolutely loving it!

Old 03-10-2006, 08:58 AM
Gabe
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 03-10-2006, 09:29 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Hi Gabe (long time no speak!),

WOW! What a freaking nightmare that one is.

I can install one of Mikey's Bluetooth kits in 15 minutes. No wires to cut (or tap into) and no complicated wiring loom routing. It's all 100% plug-n-play! If you can R&R the MINI's radio, you're good to go.

I don't know why MINI/BMW have to make things soooo complicated (and SOOOO expensive!).

Thanks for the link though.

-- MIKE

Old 03-10-2006, 09:39 AM
Gabe
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TheOfficeMaven
Hi Gabe (long time no speak!),

WOW! What a freaking nightmare that one is.

I can install one of Mikey's Bluetooth kits in 15 minutes. No wires to cut (or tap into) and no complicated wiring loom routing. It's all 100% plug-n-play! If you can R&R the MINI's radio, you're good to go.

I don't know why MINI/BMW have to make things soooo complicated (and SOOOO expensive!).

Thanks for the link though.

-- MIKE
I figured you'd get a kick out of this one

Old 03-10-2006, 11:20 AM
HEMI-MINI
4th Gear
Gabe and gang -

Thank you for the information, I have most of this documentation and I will tell you what I don't like about the install. I think the instructions were written for a right side drive car! Case in point is the installation of the touchpad. If you have the cupholder you have to get rid of it to install the touchpad according to the instructions and included mounting bracket! I was hoping to find out if someone figured out a way to mount it on the left side downtube instead!

Most people curse the MINI cupholders but I just want the cup holder and control pad to live together in MINI Bliss....can't we all just get along

Old 03-10-2006, 12:10 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Regarding the "fancy" Bluetooth kit, after seeing the new installation instructions...

I still want it.

I find it interesting that if you don't have the factory Nav, the kit puts a small display up in the center of the dash (right in front of the dash vent piece).

Old 03-10-2006, 12:35 PM
Gabe
6th Gear
Originally Posted by HEMI-MINI
Gabe and gang -

Thank you for the information, I have most of this documentation and I will tell you what I don't like about the install. I think the instructions were written for a right side drive car! Case in point is the installation of the touchpad. If you have the cupholder you have to get rid of it to install the touchpad according to the instructions and included mounting bracket! I was hoping to find out if someone figured out a way to mount it on the left side downtube instead!

Most people curse the MINI cupholders but I just want the cup holder and control pad to live together in MINI Bliss....can't we all just get along
The US is the only market that has that rubber and metal monstrosity that MINI calls a cup-holder. This product and the instructions were created independently of MINI USA's decision to include the US sized cupholder as standard on all US spec cars.

Solution: replace said POS cupholder with previous MINI-Fini version or put the drink in the rear holder.

Old 03-10-2006, 01:34 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Edge
Regarding the "fancy" Bluetooth kit, after seeing the new installation instructions...

I still want it.

I find it interesting that if you don't have the factory Nav, the kit puts a small display up in the center of the dash (right in front of the dash vent piece).
Yes, it would be nice, but that price is just outragous! The average person is looking at $2,000 with a dealer install (if not more than that). I'm all for using OEM parts, but that's just plain crazy!

EDIT: For that kind of cash, you should get voice recognition for the factory nav system as well. I know that the UK-based MINI's get it with their "fancy" Bluetooth kits that are installed at the factory.

Old 03-10-2006, 01:38 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Originally Posted by HEMI-MINI
Gabe and gang -

I kind of like the cupholder too. It's a great place to keep my phone and wallet.

While I've never installed the OEM Bluetooth kit, I have installed lots of other OEM MINI parts (including the OEM rearview camera) and I've generally found that things do just fine being reversed for our LH drive cars (unless they're part specific for the RH drive cars that is).

Good luck with your install.

Old 03-10-2006, 07:09 PM
Tarzan
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I've installed the oem bluetooth kit on my USA spec car, and I too wanted to keep my cup holder. There is a bracket included to hold the touchpad. You may have some success trimming this and just mounting it upside down on the left down tube, since it will be covered by the two-sided tape and the keypad. I went a slightly different route. I first hammered it flat, then re-bent it the opposite way to make it reverse. For US markets, it's best to locate it on the left downtube regardless of whether you keep your cupholder since this is in better reach of the driver.

Likewise, the location of the microphone and sunroof switches should be swapped for US drivers so the microphone is in better proximity to the driver.

Old 06-08-2006, 01:22 PM
SoCar S
4th Gear
On the Parrot. Did you get it in the US or have it shipped?
Pretty easy to install?

Thanks

Originally Posted by TheOfficeMaven
Here's a link to the official install guide (in PDF format) for the OEM Bluetooth kit:

Official Bluetooth Kit How-To PDF

That should get you going...

However, IMHO there are MUCH better (and MUCH cheaper) solutions out there for the MINI. Check out these two write-ups I did over on MotoringFile.com for alternative Bluetooth solutions for your car:

Integrated Aftermarket Bluetooth

Integrated Aftermarket Bluetooth: Part 2

I've since upgraded my kit (that's shown in the Part 2 article) to the newer Parrot 3200-LS that has a color LCD screen. It's totally AMAZING! You can set the wallpaper to any image you want (I use a picture of my MINI) and it displays full-color photos of the incomming/outgoing caller. Here's a link to the Parrot kit:

Parrot Hands-Free Car Kits with color LCD

And here it is as a kit from NewMINIStuff.com complete with the plug-n-play interface for the MINI (this is the one I used):

Bluetooth hands free kit for Mini - Parrot 3200

I now have this kit in both of our MINIs and I'm absolutely loving it!

Old 06-08-2006, 01:34 PM
770 KOF
3rd Gear
Stick it on the left hand side of the mirror control plinth - it's much more accessible. I have mine there and it's really convenient. I must add that I have the non-OEM kit and it jas the same keypad at about half the cost of the OEM kit.