Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Close windows & sunroof from key remote

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006 | 06:56 PM
speednut
|
5th Gear
Close windows & sunroof from key remote install guide

I finally got around to installing the KPT MM21 key remote window and sunroof close module a few weekends back. Since there is not a lot of installation info about this module, I took a bunch of photos and I hope this can help others with their install and for others who are on the fence on whether or not to get one.
Disclaimer: All photos and details are from my 06 MCS, YMMV.

This is NOT about Ian's excellent window auto-up circuit, please don't fork this thread discussing it.

Installation details are a bit sparce on the http://outmotoring.com/remote_contro...up_module.html web site. Further helpful info can be found at Kevin Pierson's site http://kptechnologies.com/ in the support section. I found Kevin to be very helpful and friendly with the numerous questions I asked him.

Tools needed (the way I did the install):
Wire strippers for 12, 16, 18, 20, and 22 gauge wire.
Torx screwdrivers
Soldering iron
Electrical tape (Kevin recommends Scotch 33+)
trouble light or flashlight
wrench to disconnect the ground cable on battery.

I probably spent 3 hours on this, but only because of mistakes or ideas that didn't go as planned. If I did it again, it would go much faster.

First off, remove the panel above the driver's knees and take your time. Also remove the bottom cover of the steering column. I won't go into details about this since it's not too difficult.

Disconnect the ground cable from the battery. Cheap insurance!

Look for the wiring harness that plugs into the bottom of the steering column on the left bottom side. Simply pull the side clip out of the connector and it will pop right out. You now have easy access to both red +12v wires and the yellow ignition wire.

My original thoughts were to tap the +12v and ignition wires directly from inside the connector, but I was not able to figure out what tool was needed to get the pins out of the connector even after pulling it apart.

Then I figured I'd just cut the +12v wire and cover the tap with heat shrink:

Which didn't work out very well. My trusty solding iron typically used for standard PCB soldering and some SMT didn't have enough heat to solder the 12 gauge and the 16 gauge fuse wire together. I wound up having to use my butane portable soldering iron on full heat which did the trick...

But the high heat prematurely melted the heat shrink tubing. Made a very quick run to Home Despair @ 8:50pm for electrical tape. Growing up in Phoenix has taught me to never trust electrical tape as it just falls apart in the heat. I'm not thrilled about using it here, but it was my last resort. I've used the quick locks before and the only issues I've had with them is they will occasionally cut too many strands of the original wire. Also, the PHX will occasionaly kill the plastic of the quick locks after a few years causing a short. Next time I'm inside the dash area, I may rework it with something else. The good thing is since it is soldered properly, the wires will always have a solid connection.

Since my heat shrink idea wasn't working so well, I went with Kevin's suggestion instead. Used the wire strippers to break the insulation in two places 1/4" apart, then picked the insulation out.

Soldered up:

Lots o' electrical tape:

Refer to the first photo to see how the wires were put back, zip tied in place and the fuse access was placed.

Next pull the wiring from the side grommet (has a slight accordion shape to the rubber allowing easier access once pulled). Play go fish for the blue, black, and blue with red stripe wires. I only could find one blue/red stripe wire. Big Mistake! It's there, spend time finding both wires. However, other's indicated pick the small one; well, one is a 20 gauge wire and the other is a 22 gauge wire. Not easy to tell which one is smaller.

Here's a photo with the wrong blue/red stripe wire selected:

Wires ready for soldering (note the reversal of the blue and orange wires for 04-06 models):

Lots o' electrical tape, part 2:

Ground connection:

Ooops time, yeah, there's that other blue/red stripe wire. FWIW, the wrong blue/red wire always shows 0v, unless you move the power mirrors. It should have a 12v spike when locking the door from the key in the driver's door.

MM21 wrapped up in bubble pack about to be stashed in side compartment:

Green arrow indicates where MM21 is stashed and won't rattle. Orange arrow indicated more electrical tape used on a rough portion of metal dash that maybe could rub the wires used for this install.

Now have fun putting the lower steering column cover back on and then the driver's knee panel.

I really like this module and would recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind messing with the wiring in their car. It's nowhere as easy as Ian's circuit to install, but is not to bad either.

I'm late to pick up the wife from the train station, so please let me know if any of this is not clear.

Cheers!

Last edited by speednut; 04-22-2006 at 07:37 AM. Reason: updating title
Old 04-22-2006 | 12:14 AM
AZMCS
6th Gear
Great write up!

Old 04-25-2006 | 05:22 AM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Thanks for the great write-up and pics. I've contemplated doing something like this, with the help of my husband or brother, and may just attempt it. Got a few other mods waiting in the garage first!
Annette

Old 04-25-2006 | 08:27 AM
speednut
|
5th Gear
I must confess that I'm getting quite spoilled by this mod. Too many times I realize after getting out of the car that the sunroof is still popped open or the wife didn't roll up her window completely (or more likely I forgot instead! ) or I'm in a big hurry when I arrive at my destination and don't want to waste time closing everything. Basically, yeah, let's come clean here, I'm just lazy.

So if you can solder (or buy the correct size of quick locks), this is a really fun and simple mod. Plus you can be lazy like me.

Cheers!

Old 04-25-2006 | 11:02 AM
Pierson
1st Gear
The tape looks good! I've never had any problems with the 33+ losing its stickyness, but I will admit that Dayton, Ohio doesn't see the heat that Pheonix does.

Good write up, and that ignition tap looks perfect!!!

Old 04-25-2006 | 11:04 AM
Pierson
1st Gear
Also, I like your grounding spot, where exactly is that? I've never seen those screws before, I wonder if they are new for the 06?

Old 04-25-2006 | 11:27 AM
speednut
|
5th Gear
Thanks Kevin (Pierson)!
The photo of the ground wire was a pain to take as I was upside down in the footwell trying to see the camera screen with my older farsighted eyes. Not sure if it's an 05-06 thing. Basically it's the dash mount behind and to the right of the driver's left most a/c vent. Looked like a nice solid chunk of metal to me and perfect for a ground wire. It is easy to find if the lower steering column cover is removed.

Cheers!

Old 04-25-2006 | 05:42 PM
snapper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by speednut
....and don't want to waste time closing everything...
That is one excellent write-up. However, you did know that you can simultaneously close all the windows and roof, by holding the key in the driver's door lock, in the lock position, right .... Takes 10 secs to close everything. (Dealer programmable item?)

But, of course, you do have to stand there for that time.

Old 04-25-2006 | 06:05 PM
Pierson
1st Gear
Well, you can do the same thing sitting in the car, too. For the price of the module its an added convenience that Mini SHOULD have added in the factory, just like one touch up windows!

Old 04-25-2006 | 07:36 PM
billie_morini
5th Gear
Excellant photos. The only thing missing is one that shows the windows and sun roof in action (Ha ha!)

Old 04-28-2006 | 01:48 PM
azminied
2nd Gear
Great job Speednut!!!!
Fantastic pic's. You are Much more motivated than I...

I wrote up my install on this module about 4 months ago. The big and "little" wires I mentioned seemed to have a significant difference (more like 18 and 22 gauge), but I made the same mistake.... I also used the v-meter trick to figure it out.

On the power and ignition, I "temporarily" stuffed them in the connector (similiarly to the paper clip mod), and they have stayed put so far.... However, they will eventually pull free and I will make your mod.

I really like the bubble wrap idea, I just put mine in the side panel and will probably take your suggestion.

This is an awesome mod!! No waiting.... just hop out and hit the key-fob unlock - then key-fob lock.....everything closes!!!! The only draw back for me is I also live in HOT PHX and would like the SR to stay in the tilted up position for ventilation. I sometimes hit the lock button again to stop the closure as I walk away. Would be nice if this was user selectible.
-

Old 04-30-2006 | 04:30 PM
jwardell
6th Gear
Thank you for the writup and detailed pictures. I've actaully had a KPT module over a year and never put it in, part because I don't think I'll use it much and part because the install invovles cutting wires and soldering in such a small space. But this certainly helps!

Old 05-01-2006 | 03:08 PM
speednut
|
5th Gear
jwardell, don't be shy, there is actually plenty of room for the soldering. I'm a messy guy and always drop solder *****, so just put something on the floor mat just in case. Cutting away the insulation was a PITA with my oversized 3XL hands, but was really just tedious rather than difficult.

Only downside I've found so far is that it's made me too darn lazy and I forgot to do the remote close one day. Walked out at lunchtime and found my windows still down and sunroof open. Checked the glovebox for the ipod, still there thank heavens!

<chant>Hack that Mini, hack that Mini, hack that Mini</chant>

Cheers!

Old 05-01-2006 | 04:07 PM
bumble's angel
6th Gear
Good Job on the Write up!!!

I have a couple of Questions.

1. Could you use a wire splice connector instead of Soldering? I like using these. You can get them by the box at a hardware store and they make connecting to an existing wire quick and easy.

2. Do you just hold the lock button on the OEM key fob?

Old 05-01-2006 | 05:33 PM
speednut
|
5th Gear
Sure, your photo is of a "quick lock" and is what I used in Phoenix during the 80's for stereo installs. I think these are no brainers to use and would certainly make the install easier to do for people who are not comfortable soldering. However, understand the issue with using quick locks first (others please chime in with anything I've missed):
1. Use the correct gauge or you'll tear up the original wires or will create an intermittent connection.
2. Corrosion potential if they get wet (not really an issue here unless you make a habit of hosing down your interior. )
3. Plastic can degrade due to heat and fall apart causing a short circuit (PHX was famous to killing these sort of things with interior temps >200 degrees F)

Last item also applies to electrical tape as the glue gives out, so keep an eye on it too. Mind you, I keep my cars forever and I'm talking about many years later.

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me!

Cheers!

Old 05-01-2006 | 05:36 PM
speednut
|
5th Gear
Oops, forgot to answer your second question.

To lock the car and use the auto close on a 05-06 Mini, press the lock button, then the unlock button. The KPT MM21 will automatically detect the lock, unlock sequence and will relock the doors while closing up everything. I believe on the 02-04 Mini, you just press unlock first, then lock to initiate the same thing. The central locking system was redesigned for the 05 models, hence the change in the auto close procedure.

Cheers!

Old 05-01-2006 | 05:52 PM
pcnorton
5th Gear
Oops, forgot to answer your second question.

To lock the car and use the auto close on a 05-06 Mini, press the lock button, then the unlock button. The KPT MM21 will automatically detect the lock, unlock sequence and will relock the doors while closing up everything. I believe on the 02-04 Mini, you just press unlock first, then lock to initiate the same thing. The central locking system was redesigned for the 05 models, hence the change in the auto close procedure.

Cheers!
Is it any more reliable than the opening windows and sunroof with the keys?

If they would come up with a better module for that I'd buy it.

Paul

Old 05-01-2006 | 06:04 PM
speednut
|
5th Gear
Much more reliable than having to hold the unlock button. Seems like half the time I try to auto open with the Mini OEM setup, it aborts and I half to wait again. Plus, I have to stand within 5' of my Mini for it to work.

This mod requires only a single press of the lock, then unlock buttons. No holding of the remote buttons required. I just press, then walk away and it has closed every single time.

Old 05-01-2006 | 06:30 PM
pcnorton
5th Gear
Much more reliable than having to hold the unlock button. Seems like half the time I try to auto open with the Mini OEM setup, it aborts and I half to wait again. Plus, I have to stand within 5' of my Mini for it to work.

This mod requires only a single press of the lock, then unlock buttons. No holding of the remote buttons required. I just press, then walk away and it has closed every single time.
I wonder if they could program it to auto open with the reverse button sequence.

I'd pay for that set up.

I have had the exact same experience you have with the OEM setup

Paul

Old 05-01-2006 | 10:25 PM
Pierson
1st Gear
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to wire one module in 'backwards' to work with the window down feature (hook the output up to the unlock side of the key switch instead of the lock).

When I had a Mini Cooper (I had to sell it when I started building my house last September) my remote was programmed to pop the rear hatch, not lower the windows, so I couldn't expirament with this at all.

I personally don't like the scotch locks pictured above, as I believe they lead to intermittent problems down the road. However, I will say, that give the location of the splices they wouldn't be exposed to excessive vibration, moisure, heat, or dirt. There is a fifth thing to consider in an automobile environment, but I can't remember what it is right now....