Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Factory fog light default on?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 04:05 PM
ryanmsmith
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory fog light default on?

Can the fog lights be programmed to be on by default? I have to turn on the fog lights separately every time on turn on the lights.

Old 06-05-2006, 04:14 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
<flame suit>
That's because it's not usually foggy.
</flame suit>

Note: Do a search on 'fog light' or PM GBMINI or look here for a solution to this 'problem'.

Old 06-05-2006, 04:48 PM
ryanmsmith
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh cool. There's an add-on for the fog-lights to the auto-up circuit.

Every car I've had with fog-lights has had an on/off switch for the fogs, but 'on' meant on only when the mains were on. I've never found them particularly useful while driving in actual fog, but they do a good job lighting up those roadside critters.

Old 06-05-2006, 05:05 PM
OldRick
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had Ian's circuit since I bought my Mini. After using it for a month, I turned off the auto-foglights feature permanently, because it reduces your ability to see the road.

The additional light from the fog lights makes your brain think that it is lighter out than it really is, so your eyes adjust by making your pupils smaller.

The result is that you cannot see the road as well, even if you can see the bushes on the side better.

You can easily verify this while driving on an unlit road at night: with fogs off, and continuing to look straight ahead, turn on the fog lights, and you will almost immediately notice that your view of the road becomes dimmer.

Auto-on foglights (or driving with them on when it isn't foggy) are a really bad idea for this reason alone, not to mention that it is illegal in most states, and pisses off a lot of other people. I often flash high-beams at thoughtless drivers who leave their fog-lights on - it's really a slap in the face to others.

I'd sell you my AFF circuit for $1, if it wasn't a PIA to remove it.

Flame away - I couldn't care less...

Old 06-05-2006, 05:05 PM
IrishCooper
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
That is cool, i am always having to switch on the fogs when i turn on the headlights, i actually think it would be cool to have the Fogs function like DRL coming on when the car is on, cause often times i run even during the day with fogs on. This is a good idea, i will definitely get one.