Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Brakelight Mod Question ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006 | 08:42 AM
HFM
|
1st Gear
Brakelight Mod Question ?

Has anyone done the brakelight mod thats sold by MYMINI. My MINI is an 05 Mfg date of 11-4-04. I ordered the kit, but am having second thoughts due to a post I read which said in essence, "that the additional light can overload the BC1 and cause damage to it". Do you have to cut into the wiring harness to install it, or is it a simple plug in? ( I read where after 10-4-04 the proper wiring is installed at the factory ) My MINI was recently hit in the rear end, it is repaired now, but I'm thinking an extra light back there wouldn't hurt! Any info greatly appreciated, thanks guys.........HFM

Old 07-23-2006 | 11:18 AM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
I would not recommend this mod. Too many people have had to replace the module under and out of warranty. To help with others seeing the brake lights you could always go with something like this http://www.webelectricproducts.com/blp/blpdetails.htm. Look under brake light pulser.

Old 07-23-2006 | 01:47 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
I've heard of people reporting a BC1 failure for the '02-'04 model year brake mod. I haven't seen anybody report a problem for the '05-'06 model year version of the brake mod that uses the fog lamp in the bumper. You can be conservative by replacing the fog lamp bulb with a red LED bulb.

The kit uses quick-splice connectors. Essentially it is a jumper between two wires in the existing harnesses.

Old 07-23-2006 | 01:56 PM
holdenontoit
6th Gear
one of the very first things I did back in Aug of 02. 77,700 miles later .........NO probs with this mod. my .02 worth. followed Gabe's how to on Motoringfile.No module, just a short piece of wire used to bridge 2 terminals on each side.

Old 07-23-2006 | 01:57 PM
HFM
|
1st Gear
Sent an E-Mail directly to MYMINI asking the question directly to them, as to whether or not this mod can cause a failure of the BC1 Module. Might as well go right to the source . When I receive a reply from them, I will share the info on this thread. Thanks for the replies..............HFM

Old 07-24-2006 | 02:41 PM
HFM
|
1st Gear
UPDATE....................! Received an E-Mail reply from Mr. Fogler at MYMINI. They have sold well over 250 of these kits and have not had anyone report a BC-! Module failure. He also informed me that they put a note on their website page asking anyone who has had a failure, to report it to them. Very quick reply from Mr. Fogler, its nice to deal with a company that is responsive to its customers. Thumbs-up to MYMINI ...............HFM

Old 07-24-2006 | 05:18 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Good news, but remember that this will void any warranty work if you do have any problems.

Old 07-24-2006 | 08:02 PM
sagworks
running with scissors
I thought the failure was due to overloading the circuit by adding the extra light. I read (I thought I read) that changing the taillight bulbs to LED's (which use way less power) would help eliminate this as a possible problem. I

Old 07-24-2006 | 08:18 PM
umberto
6th Gear
I did the mod on my MC '04 a year ago and have had no problem...but then read of the BC-1 module getting burned out which seemed amazing since it is just a couple extra itty bitty lil bulbs being lit not drawing too much current, so I replaced the two bulbs with some LED bulbs from Autozone.

The LED's are not as bright but come up to brightness a fraction of a second faster than the incadescent bulbs...so now my upper lights come on a fraction earlier than the lower ones which is subtle but kinda cool. The LED's draw only a tenth the current, I think, so I think this should be safe for the BC-1 module.

Old 07-24-2006 | 08:36 PM
sagworks
running with scissors
Umberto- I got the Autozone bulbs are they were pretty dim (clear tails) though I upgraded to these (but in red - not amber) and they are bright and me and the people behind me are happy now. There are lights similiar to these, btu I can not vouch for them.

I am getting ready to do the mod too.

Old 07-25-2006 | 04:26 AM
umberto
6th Gear
sagworks...those bulbs are pretty ingeneous how they get 30 LED's without making the bulb so fat so it can fit into most lens housings...but those are the dual filament 1157..make sure you get the single filament type replacements, I believe they are type 1156 bulb, if they make that type..the one's I got from Autozone are not quite as bright but they are pretty close to the brightness of the stock....you can see it at www.jamstrait.com they are the 1156R red ones. They just barely barely fit into the MINI's taillight housing so you may want make sure the 30 LED ones will fit

Old 07-25-2006 | 07:08 AM
sagworks
running with scissors
Umberto, I know the 30LED bulbs fit. I have been using them for the past 3 months. I replaced the flat faced LED bulbs which Autozone sells with these bulbs. They fit the taillight housing w/o probems and work great!

Old 10-01-2006 | 07:41 AM
MY4thMINI
6th Gear
this thread has been quiet a while

I just ordered the brake light - from MYMINI
would love to hear more comments from others who installed the extra brake light

Old 10-01-2006 | 09:47 AM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
My2ndMINI - there is no direct relationship to the Brake Light MOD causing BC1 failures. I make the kit that MYMINI sells and I have never received any e-mails from any customer that they have had a failure of the BC1. I have been selling this modification kit since 2003. I have installed this mod on over 150 MINIs myself from members of our local club and I have not seen one issue and some of these have been installed since 2003. Also, I have had this mod looked at by a senior tech at our local dealer; he actually installed it on his 2004 MCS, so if he thought it would void the warranty why would he install it. I have this mod on my 2005 MCSC and installed it on day one.

The claims of of BC1 failures never state that the brake light mod caused the problem. I do state that install is at your risk but I have a good track record and if I did have complaints about BC1 failures I would no longer sell this product.

If anyone has any questions please contact me directly dave@gominigo.com

Last edited by mini-rolls; 10-01-2006 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-01-2006 | 12:43 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
I will strongly disagree with you. I have personal knowlege of 2 owners that had to replace the BC1 module on there cars. Both done out of warranty. They were an 03 and 04 S. There is probably no way to definitively state whether or not the mod cause the fault, but the dealer didn't cover the failures under warranty. Dealer claimed the mod "over worked" the module.

I see no disclaimer on the website nor do I see anything posted about asking folks to let you know if you do have problems.

What exactly does your kit for the 02-04's include? Is it simply a jumper installed between the lines in the plug (like the how-to at motoringfile.com http://www.motoringfile.com/howto/brakelight_mod.pdf)?

Old 10-01-2006 | 12:51 PM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by ScottinBend
I will strongly disagree with you. I have personal knowlege of 2 owners that had to replace the BC1 module on there cars. Both done out of warranty. They were an 03 and 04 S. There is probably no way to definitively state whether or not the mod cause the fault, but the dealer didn't cover the failures under warranty. Dealer claimed the mod "over worked" the module.
Show me proof......this is all hear say. As you stated the dealer said that 'There is probably no way to definitively state whether or not the mod cause the fault' ,this statement is cause to push the issue. To many people accept it as fact this is not fact. If I was told this by the dealer I would make them prove it, there have been defective BC1's and the mod had nothing to do with it.

Also, you say you know of two MINI's, did these MINI's have MY mod or did they install something themselves??????

I will not respond to anymore of your flames - if you wish to discuss it email me directly.

Old 10-01-2006 | 01:00 PM
MY4thMINI
6th Gear
why did it have to come to this

Gosh i can taste the love in the air...

it's a brake light
not weapons of mass destruction,,,,,,

i guess i wanted more cutesy responses
pics of how it looks.
Maybe i will just place the brake light in and not connect it up...

Wait a few more years before i make the final connection

anything would look better then the black grill on there now

Old 10-01-2006 | 01:17 PM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by MY2ndMINI

it's a brake light
not weapons of mass destruction,,,,,,

i guess i wanted more cutesy responses
pics of how it looks.
Maybe i will just place the brake light in and not connect it up...

Wait a few more years before i make the final connection

anything would look better then the black grill on there now
If you want to contact me directly please feel free I can provide you pictures and answer any other questions you may have. As far as not installing it and just using the light, I would be be willing to work with MYMINI and see if we can do something for you. Just let me know.

And I understand it is a just a brake light but when people post things like without facts it really gets to me. It would be like the posting on the supercharger issues a person had, so since something happened because they put on a reduction pulley maybe we should tell people to never ever install a reduction pulley. BTW; I have a 17% pulley and have no issues with that also......

Old 10-01-2006 | 01:59 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MY2ndMINI
oh yeah, welcome to NAM...

....oh 'n BTW
i bought one of them goofy light mods from MyMini 'n it almost cost me a grip to get it repaired(700bux)

do it at ur own risk!

if u have teh time to deal w/a dealer on coverin' this under warranty then go ahead be my guest... mine wuz repaired under warranty but only cuz (like i said) i had teh time 'n knew sum key people to help me w/my issue.

Old 10-01-2006 | 02:47 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
mini-rolls,

Chill dude. This is not a flame. Just my personal experience with this mod. I can't see how you can claim this is heresay. Please answer the question regarding what exactly your mod includes. I have no way of comparing yours to what has been done before. I don't have any idea what proof you would accept. It has been posted and affirmed before on this board that you can damage the BC1 by drawing to much current. Whether or not this occures with every mod is not under question, just that it is a possibility. I had my BC1 replaced and one of the things the SA checked was whether or not I had this mod.

As I asked before, where on your website does it state anything about this problem? I couldn't find it. I am not advocating that no one do this mod, just asking to be aware that there have been problems.

Old 10-01-2006 | 07:06 PM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by ScottinBend

What exactly does your kit for the 02-04's include? Is it simply a jumper installed between the lines in the plug (like the how-to at motoringfile.com http://www.motoringfile.com/howto/brakelight_mod.pdf)?

No my kit for the 02-04 is not a simple wire. It is a jumper assembly the has a diode intergrated into the wire and it attaches securely to the wires, not push it to the taillight plug assembly.

Old 10-01-2006 | 07:37 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
As I thought. The diode is installed to allow the use of the foglights and not light up the lower brake lights, correct?

Old 10-01-2006 | 09:01 PM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
Correct.

Old 10-01-2006 | 10:34 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Thanks for the clarification. Sounds like it is basically the same as a wire jumper then.

I am glad you haven't experienced any failures. But I am not going to take any chances.

Old 10-02-2006 | 03:15 AM
MY4thMINI
6th Gear
early coopers

it sounds like the isses are happening with Coopers before the 2005 2006 model year .......
my cooper is 2006

Quick Reply: Electrical Brakelight Mod Question ?