Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Rear spoiler brake light flasher module

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006 | 08:08 PM
mininana
|
2nd Gear
Rear spoiler brake light flasher module

Yeah, I know.....been there, done that....but, just say, I want to change from the one I have now. What others are available? Anybody know? I had the "Back-Off" that flashes 4 times, pauses, then flashes 4 times again and never goes completely steady. At present, I have the IBF9 (I think that's what it's called). It flashes MAYBE 9 times and then goes steady, but more times than not it only flashes 7 max. Okay, I'm open for suggestions.......GO!

Old 10-04-2006 | 09:52 AM
jwardell
6th Gear
I really like the one I just got from NAM sponsor GoMiniGo. Read my writeup here:
http://www.jwardell.com/mini/2006/09...d-brake-light/

Old 10-04-2006 | 10:01 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by mininana
Yeah, I know.....been there, done that....but, just say, I want to change from the one I have now. What others are available? Anybody know? I had the "Back-Off" that flashes 4 times, pauses, then flashes 4 times again and never goes completely steady. At present, I have the IBF9 (I think that's what it's called). It flashes MAYBE 9 times and then goes steady, but more times than not it only flashes 7 max. Okay, I'm open for suggestions.......GO!
http://www.comagination.com/bflasher.htm

Although I like the quicker flashing version above...

Old 10-04-2006 | 10:40 AM
mininana
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MSFITOY

Yeah, that's what I have on my PW/B S. I was wondering if anybody has heard about or used a different brand. Thanks for that link though. I had lost it. I can use it if I can't find any other options. I'm shopping for a new one for a friend.

Old 10-04-2006 | 12:27 PM
jwardell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MSFITOY

I think I was behind someone with that one this weekend. It was VERY annoying because it seemed to flash very slowly and forever (4 seconds is a long time to be distracted from everything else you should be watching!).

Old 10-04-2006 | 07:02 PM
CARdiac
5th Gear
Well look who it is! I was thinking about the flasher that is quicker than the one we installed.

Old 10-04-2006 | 07:37 PM
mininana
|
2nd Gear
I just wondered if there were any others out there besides the IBF9 and the "Back Off" motorcycle flasher.

Old 10-04-2006 | 09:45 PM
AntiqueCarNut
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jwardell
I think I was behind someone with that one this weekend. It was VERY annoying because it seemed to flash very slowly and forever (4 seconds is a long time to be distracted from everything else you should be watching!).
Yeah, it's me that has this annoying brake light flasher .

You may want to look at this one from Kisan, http://www.kisantech.com/view_product.php?product=200GW. I have a similar Kisan unit on my morotcycle. Kisan's products are expensive - no doubt, but the flashing pattern is the most effective that I'm aware of. I will probably swap out the Comagination for the Kisan. If you order from Kisan, when they ask, tell them you're a member of the BMWOA (BMW Motorcycle Owners of America) you'll get a discount.

Old 10-04-2006 | 10:01 PM
GoMiniGo
Former Vendor
Here is the link to ours:

http://www.gominigo.com/23445.html

GMG

Old 10-05-2006 | 04:47 AM
CARdiac
5th Gear
Originally Posted by AntiqueCarNut
Yeah, it's me that has this annoying brake light flasher .

You may want to look at this one from Kisan, http://www.kisantech.com/view_product.php?product=200GW. I have a similar Kisan unit on my morotcycle. Kisan's products are expensive - no doubt, but the flashing pattern is the most effective that I'm aware of. I will probably swap out the Comagination for the Kisan. If you order from Kisan, when they ask, tell them you're a member of the BMWOA (BMW Motorcycle Owners of America) you'll get a discount.
I can't tell from the picture... will it fit in the space behing the 3rd brake light on the MINI?

Old 10-05-2006 | 09:46 PM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
It may fit but it only works on bulb type lights not LED's. Read about the products they sell they sell an LED one but it is configured for plug-n-play for motorcycles (goldwings). Ours is only for LED and does the same quick four flashes.

Last edited by mini-rolls; 10-06-2006 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-06-2006 | 06:05 AM
blalor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jwardell
I really like the one I just got from NAM sponsor GoMiniGo. Read my writeup here:
http://www.jwardell.com/mini/2006/09...d-brake-light/
Josh and I are gonna have to agree to disagree. After following him last weekend, I found it didn't get my attention unless I was watching the brake light. Otherwise, I'd completely miss it. The flash rate seemed about right, but the duration was too short. I'd like to get one that's a little more noticeable, but I'm afraid I'll get shunted by Josh on our next run!

Old 10-06-2006 | 06:58 AM
mininana
|
2nd Gear
I had the "Back-Off" module on my red Cooper. It blinks a steady four blinks then goes steady, then starts all over again with four blinks and a steady. I now have the IBF9 (quarter sized hockey puck shape) in my "S" JCW that is supposed to blink up to 9 times then go steady and stay there. Depending on how long it's been since the circuit has been activated, it blinks between 4 & 7 times then goes steady. I'm not too sure I'm real crazy about either one, but they're better than nothing at all, I'm convinced. I think the Back-Off one IS programmable so you can have it go steady after 4 and stay steady while the brake is on. Maybe that would be the best for me anyhow. It's hard to install in a Cooper, but it can be done. The box is about the size of a credit card, only thicker and it's for motorcycles (Goldwings). Now I'm beginning to think that's the one I want.

Old 10-06-2006 | 11:13 PM
AntiqueCarNut
4th Gear
Originally Posted by CARdiac
I can't tell from the picture... will it fit in the space behing the 3rd brake light on the MINI?
I'm pretty sure it will - it's small. Call Kisan 888.464.5472 and ask for Andy. He'll give you the exact dimensions.

Originally Posted by mini-rolls
It may fit but it only works on bulb type lights not LED's. Read about the products they sell they sell an LED one but it is configured for plug-n-play for motorcycles (goldwings). Ours is only for LED and does the same quick four flashes.
I'm not sure that's true - but you can verify with Kisan. They may well be willing to custom wire one for you - ask Andy. The '25LED' Gold Wing unit is a plug and play set-up for the accessory Gold Wing spoiler that has and LED brake light in it. The Kisan does three quick flashes, then two slower flashes, then steady, which gives the indication to the person behind you that you're slowing down, like this:

Old 10-07-2006 | 07:35 AM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini-rolls

I'm not sure that's true -

[/quote]

I was referencing to the 20GW and it states that it increases the abiltiy of the bulb, it does not state anything about LED lights. The other ones on their site state they do not work on LEDS, on the products with the LED in the name state they work on LEDs

Old 10-07-2006 | 11:12 AM
benaj
1st Gear
Anyone have any experience with the LED brake light module from Signal Dynamics? Using Mode 2 of their BackOFF XP module ($40) seems to be less offensive for car use than some of the other motorcycle modules on the market today:

http://www.signaldynamics.com/produc...les/xp_car.asp

I think that I might pick up either one of BackOFF XP units or support GMG with their unit. I am leaning toward the BackOFF XP unit because it blinks slightly less fast than the GMG unit, but not nearly as slow as the VisiStop IBF9 unit.

ben

Old 10-07-2006 | 11:06 PM
mininana
|
2nd Gear
The Back-Off is the one I had on my CR MC and it repeats the four blinks which annoys me. I'm pretty sure it can be programmed to hold steady after the first four blinks, but my dealership installed it without asking me which one I preferred. I know it AND the IBF9 both work on LED's though.

Old 10-07-2006 | 11:50 PM
IrishCooper
5th Gear
Originally Posted by GoMiniGo
Here is the link to ours:

http://www.gominigo.com/23445.html

GMG
I like this one alot better than anything else ive seen my only complaint is that the flashes seem TOO fast, and it looks like its shorting out rather than actually blinking. I still want one im just wondering if its really going to flash 4 times that quickly.

Old 10-08-2006 | 09:22 AM
benaj
1st Gear
The Back-Off is the one I had on my CR MC and it repeats the four blinks which annoys me. I'm pretty sure it can be programmed to hold steady after the first four blinks, but my dealership installed it without asking me which one I preferred. I know it AND the IBF9 both work on LED's though.
Yes, it appears Mode 1 of BackOFF is four flashes pause constant on, then repeat. They have a Mode 2 which is four flashes, then constant on and won't repeat with the flashing until you reapply the brake.

What did you think about the length of the flashing when you did have the BackOFF installed? Was it fast enough for your tastes? I don't want to annoy those behind me when we are stuck in traffic, but the GMG module seems a bit too brief and indeed just seems like a 3rd brake light short.

ben

Old 10-08-2006 | 12:51 PM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
The flash of 4 times does not look like a short in person, you are looking at a video over an internet connection . The programming of 4 flashes was created after talking with various MINI owners. We looked at the what people wanted and developed it based on that.

Old 10-08-2006 | 03:00 PM
mininana
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by benaj
What did you think about the length of the flashing when you did have the BackOFF installed? Was it fast enough for your taste? I don't want to annoy those behind me when we are stuck in traffic, but the GMG module seems a bit too brief and indeed just seems like a 3rd brake light short.

ben
I like it, still.....I go places with my daughter and am behind her part of the time. She bought my CR/CR MC from me. I think I'd like it on the Mode 2 better though....don't like the repeating thang.