F54 After market LED headlight assemblies

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2023, 05:05 PM
msudawg
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
After market LED headlight assemblies

Hello,

I am looking to replace the halogen headlights for my 2016 Mini Cooper Clubman S with LEDs. I would like to replace the entire assembly and not just the bulbs unless there is a bulb that works well with the existing halogen housing. I have looked at VLAND’s F56 animation headlights, but can’t tell if they will work with the F54 and not a good sign that I can’t get a reply to my question when I reached out to them. Are there any good options for LED plug and plays that you would recommend? I have already swapped out my tail lights with Union Jack LEDs as well as the side scuttles from SMPS2012, so the headlights have to be LED too. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

thanks!

Old 01-12-2023, 07:47 AM
reidmefirst
2nd Gear
Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Weird: According to the MINI parts lookup, the LED headlight assembly is the same for both the F56 and the F54? I wasn't aware of that.

See the "What this fits" tab: https://parts.seattlemini.com/p/MINI...117383213.html .

ECS Tuning seems to agree, see their "Fits these cars" tab: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/63117383213/ . They say the same headlight fits F54/F55/F56, all sub-models.

I have no advice on what aftermarket headlights are better or worse build quality, but at least we know that there are options. There may be wiring differences for the genuine MINI headlights, for example the stock halogen may not have canbus lines run to them. I'm not sure if the LED ones have CAN lines but they very well may, since they have cornering lights and other fancy features.

Your cheapest and probably best option for a retrofit might be ebay using junkyard parts: there are a bunch of allegedly genuine LED headlights available there, probably pulled from wrecked vehicles Just search for "mini f56 led headlight". Be sure to read the descriptions because some of them have broken tabs that might not work. Prices seem to be $250-400USD for lights in good working order. Some note that repair is done to the plastic.

The part numbers seem to vary a lot. For example, my 2019 F54 has LEAD headlights which read "Valeo F56 HL" with a part number that is 63.11-7494888-03 (right side). The number might actually be some sort of serial number, in spite of looking an awful lot like a part number, not sure though.

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (01-12-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 08:55 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,017 Likes on 1,813 Posts
Hello, hopefully i can help.

Early design headlights fit the F55 F56 and F54. Then they had a split year update and the newer one fit F55 F56 F57 and F54

The housing overall shell design for the Halogen and LED is the same, its the outputs on the back and the innards. The plug is the same but it has different pinout and what the do. Genuine MINI is Valeo or AL dependent on the year and model.

We have some aftermarket options as some of those ones sold elsewhere may or may not fit US cars as they have set ups for RHD and not LHD like we have here in the states.

You will not get much info and any from those vendors overseas. A. They are not MINI People B. The tend not to speak English. C. They don't know the true differences in headlights or anything for LHD (USA Cars) Vs RHD (UK, Japan, etc) and/or fitments for MINI.

That's were we come in. these are the options https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2016-...ng/Headlights/

We call out on the aftermarkets what works and what it actually does and fits, We were the first to confirm the Spyder headlights design for the R56, in car shots, install shots/how they work. First with the R53 MINI Cooper Depo projectors to confirm and install/photo/how they work.

Most of the pictures you see of the R56 Projector Spyder headlights resold one Ebay/amazon and overseas is my own R58 MINI Cooper Coupe JCW we shot inhouse. They tend to steal our pics. Same with the Depo projector headlights, You will see copied pics of my R52 MINI Cooper Convertible in Hot Orange we shot in house all over Ebay/amazon. Its hard to get them to remove the pics as the next day a new company pops up.

On the F56 design aftermarkets, we were the first to call out the actual design which is off the LCI Bentley GT. None of the reseller even knew were the design inspiration came from.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-13-2023, 06:46 AM
msudawg
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks, ECSTuning,

In looking at the link, I see the Sequential Projector LED DRL Headlights-Pair and the Animated Projector LED DRL Headlights MINI Cooper F56 Bentley Style Pair, both from Vinstar. What exactly are the differences between the two headlights and or their any resources online where I could see them installed and in action? If not, is it easier to contact ECS Tuning directly and ask my questions there? Thanks for the response!

Old 01-13-2023, 07:29 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Welcome.

Always reach out here as I am the knowledge base. Hence the 32,000+ Posts Just a PM away, you can not call me direct.

Calling in is just for simple orders in sales and customer service issues. Not trouble shooting in depth or DIY.

All the info is listed, the two are pretty much the same in function. The F56 LCI+ has a this set up. Non animated. Pictures shows what they look like and harness.

Bentley style has this set up. F56+ Animated. Has more of a light show on start up and signal. Pictures shows what they look like and harness.

Some ones review::

StephenS4882
Verified Buyer
5.0 star rating
07/26/22
Vinstar projector headlights
Review by StephenS4882 on 26 Jul 2022review stating Vinstar projector headlights
Swapped stock f56 (base model) halogen lights for these VINSTAR animated projector LED’s. Easy retrofit, no codes…Paired well with aftermarket DRL’s I also have installed. Make sure to adjust your projector lights throw for night driving!

Pretty much both are plug and play.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
rabia (01-14-2023)
Old 01-15-2023, 06:13 PM
David9962000
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm about to try these:

TurgidFlux (01-30-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 11:31 AM
David Baker
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
My wife has a 2015 F56 that I put GTR Lighting Ultra2 H13 bulbs in it. The light output is considerably brighter and I also preserved the same light pattern as the halogens had. The GTR LED bulbs aren't cheap but they pride themselves on maintaining the factory beam pattern.

https://www.gtrlighting.com/gtr-ligh...-h7?quantity=1

Last edited by David Baker; 01-17-2023 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-18-2023, 09:50 AM
WhatV8
4th Gear
Received 79 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by David Baker
My wife has a 2015 F56 that I put GTR Lighting Ultra2 H13 bulbs in it. The light output is considerably brighter and I also preserved the same light pattern as the halogens had. The GTR LED bulbs aren't cheap but they pride themselves on maintaining the factory beam pattern.

https://www.gtrlighting.com/gtr-ligh...-h7?quantity=1
That is the biggest thing about using an LED in place of a halogen bulb (yellow bolded above). Sure, any bulb can be overall 'brighter', but if that light is scattered everywhere, it is only a nuisance to all oncoming drivers. I see multiple vehicles every morning and evening on my work commutes that exhibit the 'brighter has to be better' LED bulb syndrome, where there is zero focus or cutoff to their light beams.

A couple of years ago, I ran across this guy who not only sells various LED headlight bulbs, but also does a good job trying to explain and educate on what to look for and how to properly evaluate. Worth the 15 minute watch, IMHO. Mind you, I ordered my F54 with the LED light upgrade, which I have to say was worth every penny, even though I hemmed and hawed about it filling out the order form. YMMV.

mountainhorse (11-21-2023)
Old 01-18-2023, 10:52 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yes its not as focused, they work as I have them in my wife honda, but she has the factory projector halogens that focus the light.

1. Yes it work for Ziza headlight leds (correct low beam cutoff) in non projector housing. But its not as good as projectors.
2. MINI does not have halogen projector housings from the factory, all of them were either Xenon or LED factory. Gen 2 MINI have aftermarket ones.
3. People that don't option for Xenon or LED factory headlights from MINI really suffer when driving the car at night. I have driven rental MINIs with stock halogen headlights and its like two candles up front compared to the lighting options from the factory upgrades,

Old 01-19-2023, 08:19 AM
David Baker
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by WhatV8
That is the biggest thing about using an LED in place of a halogen bulb (yellow bolded above). Sure, any bulb can be overall 'brighter', but if that light is scattered everywhere, it is only a nuisance to all oncoming drivers. I see multiple vehicles every morning and evening on my work commutes that exhibit the 'brighter has to be better' LED bulb syndrome, where there is zero focus or cutoff to their light beams.

A couple of years ago, I ran across this guy who not only sells various LED headlight bulbs, but also does a good job trying to explain and educate on what to look for and how to properly evaluate. Worth the 15 minute watch, IMHO. Mind you, I ordered my F54 with the LED light upgrade, which I have to say was worth every penny, even though I hemmed and hawed about it filling out the order form. YMMV.
Here is the video I watched a couple of years ago that helped me decide on which LED light to use.

Old 01-19-2023, 10:09 AM
WhatV8
4th Gear
Received 79 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by David Baker
Here is the video I watched a couple of years ago that helped me decide on which LED light to use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPcE-fWHmww&t=120s
Thanx for posting that, looks like I frosted over and forgot to post it...that is the exact same video/guy!

Old 11-21-2023, 02:50 PM
zuruca
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Aftermarket Tailights

Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Welcome.
Always reach out here as I am the knowledge base. Hence the 32,000+ Posts Just a PM away, you can not call me direct.
Hi ECSTuning,
I'm asking for your help.
I have a 2016 Clubman F54 and I bought some rear lights like these but I have a question. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ziza-par...1-f5417-sm-a~/
How can I route the cable from the taillights in the rear doors to the lights in the bumper? Where can I run this long cable?

Thank you in advance for your help.
And I apologise to the author for using his thread.

Old 11-22-2023, 10:19 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
hello,

Run near the door and the factory wires, zip tie near the boots for the harness, then into the body and through one of the rubber seals right above the bumper, their might be some rubber blank seals that you can poke a hole into the outside of the body and near those rear lights.

You can go beside the door and that upper bumper gap near the body if you don't want to go through the rubber body circular hole poke job.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=63_1736

Last edited by ECSTuning; 11-22-2023 at 10:35 AM.
zuruca (11-22-2023)
Old 11-22-2023, 11:57 AM
maaii
2nd Gear
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
How many brake lights in F54 LCI?

If you install this aftermarket taillight, I think you will get 5 brake lights.

Is it legal for 5 brake lights in your country?

Old 11-22-2023, 12:24 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
You can have 5. They just need to have lights visible in red and distance at not less them 300 feet.

What's required in the USA is that you have to have stationary rear brake lights/reflective light, hence that's why the lights are in the bumper. When the doors are open on the back you cant see a reflective light on the rear if their was no bumper light.

Last edited by ECSTuning; 11-22-2023 at 12:30 PM.
Old 11-24-2023, 07:40 PM
maaii
2nd Gear
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Today , I help my friend to install this taillight.

I use my adapter cables and code the car.

3 brake lights and bumper lights also work.

Demo 3 brake lights
https://imgur.com/pZcFqb9
Bumper lights
https://imgur.com/IMkNBdD

Last edited by maaii; 11-26-2023 at 08:46 PM.