F55/F56/F57 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for F55/F56 MINI Cooper AND Cooper S models.

OIL Filter Housing Failures

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 07:28 PM
cradlerobber
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
March 2014. Not sure about the VIN and TSB. Couldn't find that information with search.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:53 PM
Hoitu
Neutral
Just had my 14 cooper s towed in to dealer with the same problem.

Build date 5/14
Mileage 4600

No warning light or message from computer. IT let go on the interstate. By the time i got over and stop, there was pretty much nothing left in the engine.

Thank god it a lease this is Major problem number 4...

Old 02-05-2015, 06:41 PM
Spoooolin
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Hoitu
Just had my 14 cooper s towed in to dealer with the same problem.

Build date 5/14
Mileage 4600

No warning light or message from computer. IT let go on the interstate. By the time i got over and stop, there was pretty much nothing left in the engine.

Thank god it a lease this is Major problem number 4...
There is NO TSB related to oil leaking from the oil filter housing.

Also, Hoitu, what are the other three major issues you had if you dont mind me asking?

Its very odd you did not get any check control messages, or Faults. Every single one of these I have seen have had some sort of warning. Some people stop withing a mile or two, others have gone 6-10miles with the messages telling them to pull over.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:18 PM
Hoitu
Neutral
Originally Posted by Spoooolin
There is NO TSB related to oil leaking from the oil filter housing.

Also, Hoitu, what are the other three major issues you had if you dont mind me asking?

Its very odd you did not get any check control messages, or Faults. Every single one of these I have seen have had some sort of warning. Some people stop withing a mile or two, others have gone 6-10miles with the messages telling them to pull over.
First problem was the ac condensate drain leaked on to the passenger floor pan. it was in the shop 42 days for this fix. This happened 20 days in to the lease. They were suppose to replace the carpet but it was back ordered so they just cleaned the carpet. still has the smell of chemical used to clean it.

Number 2 has been several drive train malfunction lights. after trip to the dealer they find nothing major wrong but yet 3 lights came on. This was shortly after getting the car back..

Number 3 is first gear jumping out. So now i just hold first gear in place. People have had transmission replaced but there has never been a change from the factory so eventually they will have the same problems.

Now the oil filter housing, Im just now concerned with internal engine damage. as soon as i saw the smoke rolling out the back of the car i got over through 5 lanes of traffic and off the interstate.

Mini never stepped up to the plate when the car was in the shop for 42 days. I was hopping they would at least credit a payment since it was off the road for longer then a month, at no fault of my own...

Old 02-05-2015, 07:43 PM
cradlerobber
1st Gear
The only warning I had was the smell of gasoline and the pools of oil under the car.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:48 AM
kgehrig
1st Gear
There is a service bulletin against certain VINs. When I went in to replace rear shocks it showed up in their computer. They had already replaced it, and there was no changes to the part so they did not do it again.

Old 02-07-2015, 03:42 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Can't believe this is still happening!

Old 02-10-2015, 04:45 AM
fenderpicks
4th Gear
Stopped by my local dealer to buy some coolant...
Went in and checked if my VIN had any recall or TSB.
Was advised my VIN was clear, no recall or TSB. So i told him about the oil filter failure, and this Dealer have had about 3 Failures came in so far.

Well at least the Dealer knows about this now, and hopefully i am good since my VIN did not show as one of the affected ones.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:46 AM
Pennengr
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I got a couple of oil lights just before pulling into airport parking last week. When I got back I had about a six foot puddle of oil under the car. The leak was at the oil filter housing gasket according to the dealer. I have about 9600 miles on the car, and I think the build date was late April.

Old 03-07-2015, 03:57 PM
Coopie81
1st Gear
I got lucky today... :(
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...not-happy.html

2014 S with 2600 miles... Bought it about 6 weeks ago...

Attached Thumbnails OIL Filter Housing Failures-20150307_140903s.jpg   OIL Filter Housing Failures-20150307_141038s.jpg   OIL Filter Housing Failures-20150307_152731s.jpg  
Old 05-26-2015, 04:56 PM
rk15000
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry if I'm bringing this post back from the dead, but I didn't want to start a new thread on an already well known (or maybe not so well known) issue.

My Cooper S was a June 2014 build, no issues yet, but this issue with the filter housing genuinely has me concerned, especially since MINI only thought it was with the Cooper and now it seems like Cooper S' have had some failures too. My car only has about 400 miles on it so it's still a baby

So worries aside, I have some questions that I was hoping people could help me with

1) Is the part actually revised? If so, have we seen failures on the revised part?

2) I checked my VIN on MINIUSA...no open recalls against my car. I was concerned that mine might still have a defective housing, so I dialed my MINI dealer to see if they had inspected this prior to delivery. The SA was very kind but gave me this very generic canned answer of "we can't sell a car without fixing recalls, so if yours has no open recalls we've taken care of it". That still doesn't sit well with me...I want to see written proof and possibly a service record that my car has a revised part. How can I figure this out without ripping the part off the car?

3) This last question is a general one. When I took delivery, I swear that my MINI salesman showed me that you could see the specific oil level on a line, similar to a dipstick, whether you were a little low or a little high.

However, when I go into the computer and start a detailed measurement with a warm engine + in park, it won't show me the accuracy of the reading. All it does is go from 0% to 100% in an instant and says "Engine Oil OK"

I don't care if it's "OK"; I care about how much or how little oil is in the engine.

Does anyone know how I can see the oil level on a measurement line?

Okay, I'm done obsessing over this for now. Time to go get a beer and relax

Thanks,

-Ryan

Old 05-26-2015, 05:04 PM
hp79
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, there was somebody's car that wasn't part of the recall VIN but had that oil swamp happening to their mini. I don't think they completely fixed anything. I think it's just a bad design to start with (prone to fail).

Good luck with getting written anything. lol.

Couple days ago I read MINI is one of the worst reliable, Fiat being the top, lol. I still like how it drives, but really hate all those rattles and weird software bugs such as Green Mode miles counter resetting on its own and not counting most of the times, harsh start from a stop when lifting the brake pedal and some other minor things that they pretend don't exist.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:51 AM
Dbartondpt
1st Gear
I just dropped my 2014 mini off at the dealer for a regular service. 25,000 miles and no issues but my service advisor told me I have a recall for my oil filter housing so they will be replacing it. Never had a single issue with the car as far as oil is concerned. Fingers crossed they caught the problem before it became one for me. Hope everyone who is potentially affected gets fixed with this recall.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:07 AM
Chazman
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Can anyone confirm if the oil filter housing issue is really a "RECALL" by MINI?

RECALL is for safety related issues only and usually mandated (and always overseen) by NHTSA.
For RECALL issues, manufacturers are also required to inform affected customers with mail notice.
If it's not related to safety and just a technical issue, then it is a TSB.

Last edited by Chazman; 07-01-2015 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:43 AM
papawhiskey
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dbartondpt
I just dropped my 2014 mini off at the dealer for a regular service. 25,000 miles and no issues but my service advisor told me I have a recall for my oil filter housing so they will be replacing it. Never had a single issue with the car as far as oil is concerned. Fingers crossed they caught the problem before it became one for me. Hope everyone who is potentially affected gets fixed with this recall.
My MCS was an early April 2014 build and has been completely problem free for 23K miles, so this concerns me that they're now adding the S to the mix and cars that "old." My 24K check up is looming and I think I'll contact the service department at the dealer. The services is usually done in an hours time, where replacing the housing would take significantly longer for sure.

I have purchased oil filter housings for both the 'B' engines and the "N' engines from the R Series cars as product development parts for my spin on oil filter adapter and oil cooler products. The designs of both are very much identical in concept and execution and seem well developed. I can't find what I would call a "weak" spot with them so I can only assume that there must be some fatigue related failure of the plastic used in the housing that's probably aggravated by probable over tightening of the cap. This is just supposition on my part so I'd really like to hear something definitive as to just what the failure is.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:16 AM
Dbartondpt
1st Gear
When I pick up my car from the dealer tomorrow I will post a picture of the paperwork they give me. I called them back and they said it's a recall and is covered by mini.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:27 AM
Chazman
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I checked NHTSA webpage but could not find a RECALL notice on the subject Mini's Oil Filter Hoursing issue.

The only recent RECALL that came up on Mini was the "hot tail pipe" issue (that can burn your leg) on the previous gen 2 model as following.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/..._ids=08V657000

Old 07-02-2015, 10:26 PM
lsmith42
2nd Gear
My dealer used the word "recall" as well. I'll be in there on Monday to have it addressed.

Old 07-19-2021, 08:50 AM
RPM55
Neutral
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My 2011 Mini S R56 just blew the filter housing completely off engine bolts are still in tact with metal pieces under each one but entire housing in dangling !! Wow ! What do you think would cause this ?? I’m second owner and have put 40,000 on it. It had 117,000 when I bought it and previous owner always serviced and I did too ☹️

Old 07-20-2021, 08:02 AM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by RPM55
My 2011 Mini S R56 just blew the filter housing completely off engine bolts are still in tact with metal pieces under each one but entire housing in dangling !! Wow ! What do you think would cause this ?? I’m second owner and have put 40,000 on it. It had 117,000 when I bought it and previous owner always serviced and I did too ☹️
This thread is specifically F56 related, but I woul have to say that for the oil filter housing to break/blow off like you describe, something internal may have blown and windowed the block....I can't see oil or coolant pressure getting high enough to catastrophically destroy the filter housing like that. I also have a 2011 R56S, with 127k, so would be interested in your findings. Maybe post in the second-gen section?

Old 07-20-2021, 07:15 PM
RPM55
Neutral
I’m on the road so after further checking I can see block damage maybe wrist pin came loose ? Will add photos later !

The following users liked this post:
renchjeep (07-21-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 07:16 PM
RPM55
Neutral
Sorry I’m on the road as traveling lol I will give all details later but this blows my mind

The following users liked this post:
renchjeep (07-21-2021)