F55/F56/F57 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for F55/F56 MINI Cooper AND Cooper S models.

Extended maintenance and extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 09:51 AM
jeepndad
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extended maintenance and extended warranty

Planning on keeping this one a long time. Should hopefully take delivery by end of June.
Is purchasing the extended maintenance program and extended warranty worth it for the mini? I have never purchased them before for other new car purchases.
What are others paying for the longest term and miles available backed by Mini.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:19 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
If you keep up with your routine maintenance and are DIY capable you should be fine without the extended warranty. Mini's do have their issues, but when taken care of as well as keeping up or going beyond the maintenance's required will help extended the life of your Mini. We have a great support of Tech Articles for doing DIY on your Mini. Good luck with the purchase!

-Luccia

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 05-05-2015, 11:22 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 571 Likes on 487 Posts
I think the ext maintenance is overpriced. DIY or a good indy mechanic will save some cash. The ext warranty is a crapshoot, I like to keep the money in my pocket, but a lot of this depends on how many miles you drive, your tolerance for risk, knowledge with dealing with mechanics, etc.

Some people just want a carefree car for as long as possible and are willing to front the money for that. Personal choice.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:29 PM
jeepndad
2nd Gear
I'm thinking with the way my budget works it's easier to budget for a payment than have to spend a chunk of money at a time for a repair. Anybody that has purchased the maint and warranty care to chime in on what you spent. It would be a big help. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-11-2015, 03:57 PM
sanredrose
1st Gear
If you want a carefree driving experience then buy the extended warranty protection for 7yrs/70k miles or 7yrs/100k miles. It is definitely worth it. I bought a non-CPO MCS 2010 hardtop in feb 2011.

The previous owner of my car had driven 18k miles with just one or two oil changes. The damage was already done. Within a week of purchasing the car, i faced a full fledged oil leak in my parking lot and had the car towed to dealership. It took four weeks for them to repair and they ended up replacing all the cylinders in my engine. Service advisor escalated my case to Mini and there were multiple rounds of inspection. Long story short, they offered me two options ...

1. New car discount of $2000 + rebate from my old car for $2000 => Net $4000 discount.
2. Keep the current car => $1800 off the extended warranty program ($2200 for 7yrs/70k & $2500 for 7yrs/100k).

I took the option 2 and i am glad i did it. Every year i face one or two failures. I get it repaired at the service center and they treat me well. I never had a issue getting a loaner car or an update the advisor etc. At various instances they would tempt me to buy the newer model and save some trouble ... But i stuck to it. Now we have roughly 75k miles on the car and it's still my first choice for a quick ride around the town ...

Initially i was irritated and pissed off at having to visit the service center so often. But after i made one long road trip from San Diego to Grand Canyon and back, i changed my mind. It was so much fun and i forgot about all the dealership visits ...

Keep doing oil changes every 4k or 5k miles and you should be fine with a Mini.

Old 06-04-2015, 03:59 PM
jeepndad
2nd Gear
Ended up getting the extended maintenance @1895 but passed on the service contract that they said their cost was $3500 and would sell it to us for $3700.

Old 06-04-2015, 04:17 PM
krashlocke
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not a big fan of these kinds of prepaid insurance contracts; the factory warranty is one of the best in the business, IMHO. If you haven't flushed all of the issues by the time the factory warranty is done, the insurance is a real crap shoot and will likely not cover anything that might be tied to a wear item.

That said, if it gives you peace of mind, then it's fine. Keep in mind that if you really want one, you can shop for one outside of the dealership and may be able to get better rates, since you're cutting the middle man (dealer) out. Never forget that you can always call up the insurance provider and cancel at any time for a prorated refund. If you have to make a claim and don't like their service, definitely cancel.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:15 PM
jeepndad
2nd Gear
Only got the pre paid maintenance.
The one for mechanical failure or electronic failure was outrageously stupid high price.