F55/F56/F57 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for F55/F56 MINI Cooper AND Cooper S models.

Engine replacement issues?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 08:55 AM
alanz
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine replacement issues?

I am one of the 'lucky' few who has been having intermittent clutch pedal issues.

Unfortunately, my car is one that has problems with the crankshaft bearings, and they are replacing the engine. The new engine should be arriving at the dealership tomorrow.

Are there any other updates on how folks have dealt with this issue (extended warranties, upgrades, trade-ins, etc.). I have had our 2014 S for 16 months, and it only has 6,800 miles on it.

What are your thoughts on possible issues after an engine replacement?
I am not so much concerned about the engine, as I am about all the things that connect to the engine, and the possibility of future failures.

Has anyone gone through this before?

Old 11-12-2015, 11:09 AM
rootsnes
Neutral
In August, I had the same thing happen to my 14' MCS 6 speed with 14k miles. I got the car from Mini of Baltimore so they did the service/engine replacement. They said my car was the first they've seen with this issue so it took a little longer to get sorted out than what they expected.

Once they figured out it was a crankshaft defect, with the help of Mini Corporate, they also found it caused damage to the transmission, clutch, flywheel, and turbo (due to metal shavings getting in the oil from the crankshaft). I might be missing a part or two but they ended up replacing everything along with my engine. I would definitely talk to the Mini dealership you're working with about looking into those parts along with anything else the crankshaft might effect. I was lucky that my Motoring Advisor heard of the problem before and he made sure the service department looked into all the other parts for damage. That definitely saved me a TON of future issues.

Old 11-12-2015, 01:12 PM
alanz
2nd Gear
Thanks for the reply. I don't yet know what they are going to replace... I will find out early next week. My dealer is Prestige MINI, a great group, and they are fortunately only a few minutes from MINI corporate headquarters, so having corp eyes on this repair is likely.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:04 PM
BennyF
2nd Gear
Man, I would be pissed...new engine...Had a ford years ago that the engine blew up at 3K. Had a new one put in, stalled at lights every so often. Took it to the dealer a dozen times or so and they could not fix it. Dumped it, have not had a Ford since.

Old 01-16-2016, 02:39 PM
mopar2ltr
1st Gear
Crankshaft failure

My 2015 MCS with 7k is at the dealer now with all of the same issues mentioned here , they are thinking it will need engine,transmission , turbo

Old 01-18-2016, 04:15 PM
GSracer
Neutral
Gee, you guys are sure making me feel good. Just bought my wife a 2015 MCS with 12,000 miles for Christmas. Had heard stories before buying but wanted one anyway. Couple of reasons, 1 is covered until 2019 and 2 I'm a ASE Master Tech for 35+ years and figured worse case fix it myself. Will hate fooling with a dealer that can't fix anything. Have driven it 2,000 with no problems.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:04 PM
vetsvette
Received 453 Likes on 344 Posts
Has anyone seen anything referencing production dates for the bad engines? I spent a couple of hours online today and could only find threads like this. Nothing in BMW/MINI TSB's.

Old 02-10-2016, 03:22 PM
vetsvette
UPDATE: Took the Mini to the dealer to have them fix my LED door sills and try to find a noise in the rear suspension. (10000 miles) After she stuck my fob in the key reader she turned and said, "oh look! Your car has a recall!". I don't think I was as thrilled as her though. It's for the crankshaft bearings. They couldn't schedule it for today because they had no loaners. Now scheduled for the 22nd, and she said they'd need it for at least a week and probably more if they replace the engine. The only upside is they're sending someone to pick up my car and drop off the loaner. At least it'll save me the gas and 150 miles round trip drive. Aaarg! :(

Old 02-11-2016, 06:47 PM
BennyF
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by vetsvette
UPDATE: Took the Mini to the dealer to have them fix my LED door sills and try to find a noise in the rear suspension. (10000 miles) After she stuck my fob in the key reader she turned and said, "oh look! Your car has a recall!". I don't think I was as thrilled as her though. It's for the crankshaft bearings. They couldn't schedule it for today because they had no loaners. Now scheduled for the 22nd, and she said they'd need it for at least a week and probably more if they replace the engine. The only upside is they're sending someone to pick up my car and drop off the loaner. At least it'll save me the gas and 150 miles round trip drive. Aaarg! :(

Old 02-11-2016, 07:34 PM
vetsvette
No symptoms at all. Built 7/26/2014

Old 02-11-2016, 07:46 PM
BennyF
2nd Gear
No symptoms at all. Built 7/26/2014
I heard metal shavings in the oil filter cartridge or removed oil. I plan on getting an oil analysis. This co says the can tell early failure from used oil.

Old 02-13-2016, 10:56 AM
VYPUR
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just took mine in today for the side collision recall and had the same "ohhhh look you have another recall" story about the engine replacement. Drove 2 hours today to get here and they don't have a loaner and will have to come back in 2 weeks. Needless to say I'm pissed why didn't they know that before I got here today and I could have re-scheduled and not came here today!!! Had a transmission replaced at 6k miles and took about 2 months if I have got to get a new engine I'm going go balistic. So I get to sit here all day for the the side impact recall just to bring it back in 2 weeks.

Old 02-13-2016, 01:19 PM
BennyF
2nd Gear
If you have ever followed how Saturn was discontinued by GM, you will see a coralation between MINI and BMW.

They are going down the wrong path with quality and customer service.
My dad says, and he is a car NUT, you can't give him a MINI.

I love my mini, but yes, they are very worrisome and finicky. This I know will be my last one.

Last edited by BennyF; 03-07-2016 at 06:10 AM.
Old 02-14-2016, 01:20 PM
VYPUR
5th Gear
Those who have had to have the motor replaced how long did the process take? Did y'all receive any compensation for this total screw up? If I have to get a new engine I'm going to be pissed. Less than a year ago at 6k miles mine was in the shop for 2+months for a transmission replacement. If wasn't for negative equity I'd trade the dang car. I take mine in the 26th..damn I'm pissed.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:53 PM
BennyF
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by VYPUR
Those who have had to have the motor replaced how long did the process take? Did y'all receive any compensation for this total screw up? If I have to get a new engine I'm going to be pissed. Less than a year ago at 6k miles mine was in the shop for 2+months for a transmission replacement. If wasn't for negative equity I'd trade the dang car. I take mine in the 26th..damn I'm pissed.
Hi, May I ask your build date? and appently no symptoms of issues.

Old 02-14-2016, 04:29 PM
Stargate
Neutral
I was the first engine replacement for my dealership (San Diego Mini). My build was June 2014 (S/stick). Only put 4000 miles on it. They had my car for almost 2 months (mid Nov 15 thru mid Jan 16). Engine was a new short engine; also replaced turbo, flywheel, clutch, and transmission because they found metal in oil. Their ordered parts list had more than 50 line items. A lot of parts (screws, bolts, washers, gaskets, nuts, seals, etc.) can only be used once and must be replaced new. They gave me 2 months of finance payments as compensation. They did a fantastic job and it has be running great.

Old 02-19-2016, 06:39 AM
VYPUR
5th Gear
Never thought about this until a guy told me about when his caddy had to have a new engine. Trade in value...he told me his Cadillac had a engine replacement and when he went and traded it in it killed his trade in because numbers didn't match the car. He was told before the change that it wouldn't effect the value but after a few years he went and traded and it killed the value because they told him it wasn't a matching parts car.

Old 02-19-2016, 08:51 AM
Stargate
Neutral
I guess the only way someone could tell the engine was replaced, they would have to get into the mini service department data base. I don't know if other car dealers can see that.
There is nothing on the car that signifies a change?

Last edited by Stargate; 02-19-2016 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Edit
Old 02-19-2016, 01:32 PM
VYPUR
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Stargate
I guess the only way someone could tell the engine was replaced, they would have to get into the mini service department data base. I don't know if other car dealers can see that.
There is nothing on the car that signifies a change?
The numbers of the car and the motor will not match. So it would be a non part matching vehicle. That's how you can tell if a vehicle has been wrecked because numbers on the parts are not the same.

Old 02-23-2016, 12:25 PM
Stargate
Neutral
Talked to my service manager about engine replacement (VIN numbers not matching) affecting resale value/being devalued. He said No...dealers don't normally compare the numbers but get a history report on the vehicle and if it shows a Mini manufactured P/N replaced by a authorized dealer there is no issue. If numbers didn't match and there's no record of why/how it happened, it could be a problem. Also, it's not like the vintage vehicles where everything needs to match to get top dollar.

Last edited by Stargate; 02-23-2016 at 12:39 PM. Reason: edit
Old 02-24-2016, 05:28 AM
VYPUR
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Stargate
Talked to my service manager about engine replacement (VIN numbers not matching) affecting resale value/being devalued. He said No...dealers don't normally compare the numbers but get a history report on the vehicle and if it shows a Mini manufactured P/N replaced by a authorized dealer there is no issue. If numbers didn't match and there's no record of why/how it happened, it could be a problem. Also, it's not like the vintage vehicles where everything needs to match to get top dollar.
That's good to know.

Old 03-04-2016, 05:53 PM
Lucila
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mopar2ltr
My 2015 MCS with 7k is at the dealer now with all of the same issues mentioned here , they are thinking it will need engine,transmission , turbo
What month was your car built in?

Old 03-07-2016, 06:13 AM
BennyF
2nd Gear
Let's find the latest build date for the engine replacement issue.

Just post the build date of your Mini if you have already had the engine replace. I will update this with the date span when we get some numbers together.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:20 PM
vetsvette
7/2014

Old 03-08-2016, 08:21 AM
ThunderDolphin4
Neutral
what i found out about this issue from working at a mini dealership is that depending on how much you ride your clutch, determines how chewed up the bearings are and wether or not you need a whole engine. I believe the recall applies to all f56 s models and the engine replacement is not based on production date

Quick Reply: Engine replacement issues?