F55/F56/F57 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for F55/F56 MINI Cooper AND Cooper S models.

And it gets worse... Air in ABS pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016 | 08:36 PM
eforer
|
1st Gear
And it gets worse... Air in ABS pump

So after the brake pad debacle. See this thread: http://www.northamerrums/suspension/...elp-needed.htm. I spent the afternoon hastily putting the stock pads back in, bleeding the brakes and getting the wheels and tires back on the car so it could go back on the road.

Now I'm stuck with a spongy pedal despite nearly endless bleeding because I believe I trapped air in the abs pump. I used a pressure bleeder for the first time, which worked great... I only put 1 quart in, and on the last wheel, I ran the reservoir empty and the pressure bleeder empty and sucked up a whole bunch of air in to the system. I re-bled the system numerous times with no air coming out of any of the bleeder valves, but the pedal is terrible.

I tried driving in gravel and repeatedly kicking the abs on in hard stops to "cycle the pump." Some suggested this followed by another bleed would solve the problem. It did not. Is my only option a visit to a technician with the scan tool which can cycle the abs pump and have them deal with it? I'd love to avoid that if possible.

The only other thing I've considered in this dilemma is that whilst I was under the assumption that I had spiffy thick new pads to go in to the car, I screwed the rear brake pistons back to accommodate new pads. Of course I put the old ones back as no performance aftermarket pads exist yet. While there is still a lot of meat on the bone on the stock pads, they were far from a snug fit upon re-installation. It was my impression that the pistons would self adjust back to where they should be with use. Is it possible my low and mushy pedal could be improved by moving the pistons back out manually?

I still have 3 quarts of RBF600 high temp fluid, if anyone knows a tech in RI or anywhere in southern New England who isn't the dealer that can deal with this (if that is the only option) for a reasonable price, please send me the info!

Thanks,
-Ed

Old 06-22-2016 | 10:32 AM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
I think you will need the dealer to bleed your brakes. They can bleed the pump you can't. Pulling up the e brake will screw the pistons out on the rear calipers. It will take time to accomplish.

Old 06-22-2016 | 09:04 PM
vetsvette
Originally Posted by ashchuckton
I think you will need the dealer to bleed your brakes. They can bleed the pump you can't. Pulling up the e brake will screw the pistons out on the rear calipers. It will take time to accomplish.
Yep. Needs to be hooked up to the computer to cycle the ABS system and purge the air. It takes a little while. I had the same problem on my R56 and had my indi mechanic take care of it.

Old 06-27-2016 | 02:25 AM
subguy658
1st Gear
You can get the Schwaben by Foxwood OBDII Computer from ECS Tuning. For $199 it claims to be able to cycle the ABS motor, among about a hundred other things. I plan to get one soon.