F55/F56/F57 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for F55/F56 MINI Cooper AND Cooper S models.

2017 F57 Dim/Failed Taillight Ass'y Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 06:56 AM
igoeco2001
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 F57 Dim/Failed Taillight ***'y Issue

Here's a failure data point from my 2017 F57 Cooper (3-cyl) Convertible:

A month or so ago I noticed the driver side's rear taillight (what comes on with the parking lights) was significantly dimmer than the right side.
The brake, turn and backup lights seemed normal at that time. No Check Control messages.
Made an appt with my fortunately not too far away MINI dealer, 1.5 weeks out to ensure the availability of a loaner, at their suggestion.
Drove carefully at night for a week, to avoid a taillight traffic ticket.

Two days before my appt, Check Control suddenly and concurrently complains of failed brake, backup and turn lights, with rapidly flashing left turn display arrow. I guess it was A Good Thing that it totally failed then.
Driver side taillight ***'y now totally dark, no left-side rear lights working at all.

Warranty ($0) repair took 48 hrs, due to parts order.

o Bulb socket
o Repair kit for bulb socket
o "Contact Bushing MQS ELA" (?)
o "Found wiring shorted at circuit board. replaced circuit board and performed wiring repair."
Per my service advisor, all this took a while to perform as it involved crimping new contacts onto wiring.

I love my MINI convertible, and find my dealer warranty service...fine,
but this does not augur well for electrical system reliability... "Wiring shorted at circuit board?" Really?
I can only imagine what this repair would have (will?) cost when (not if?) out-of-warranty.

PS. My loaner was a loaded 2018 Cooper S (4-cyl) 2-door hardtop.
-igoeco2001

Old 08-17-2019, 10:26 AM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 520 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by igoeco2001
Here's a failure data point from my 2017 F57 Cooper (3-cyl) Convertible:

A month or so ago I noticed the driver side's rear taillight (what comes on with the parking lights) was significantly dimmer than the right side.
The brake, turn and backup lights seemed normal at that time. No Check Control messages.
Made an appt with my fortunately not too far away MINI dealer, 1.5 weeks out to ensure the availability of a loaner, at their suggestion.
Drove carefully at night for a week, to avoid a taillight traffic ticket.

Two days before my appt, Check Control suddenly and concurrently complains of failed brake, backup and turn lights, with rapidly flashing left turn display arrow. I guess it was A Good Thing that it totally failed then.
Driver side taillight ***'y now totally dark, no left-side rear lights working at all.

Warranty ($0) repair took 48 hrs, due to parts order.

o Bulb socket
o Repair kit for bulb socket
o "Contact Bushing MQS ELA" (?)
o "Found wiring shorted at circuit board. replaced circuit board and performed wiring repair."
Per my service advisor, all this took a while to perform as it involved crimping new contacts onto wiring.

I love my MINI convertible, and find my dealer warranty service...fine,
but this does not augur well for electrical system reliability... "Wiring shorted at circuit board?" Really?
I can only imagine what this repair would have (will?) cost when (not if?) out-of-warranty.

PS. My loaner was a loaded 2018 Cooper S (4-cyl) 2-door hardtop.
-igoeco2001

Techs get creative writing warranty repairs in order to get paid properly!!

I used to write up a fuse replacement as "trace and repair open circuit", as the warranty
book barely paid to diagnose, and replace fuses.