F55/F56/F57 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for F55/F56 MINI Cooper AND Cooper S models.

2019 F57 Motor Mount Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2020, 03:53 PM
SavannahMan
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question 2019 F57 Motor Mount Leaking

I have a very well maintained ‘19 S Convertible with about 58,000 miles. I had the plugs replaced today and was shown a leaking motor mount on the right side of the engine. Due to the location, and labor to fix it, the cost will be over $1100. They said it’s not urgent but as it leaks more fluid it may cause vibration. Does anyone have experience with this? Is it generally something that will, in fact, get worse? I love the Mini and this is my first real repair but I’m a little gun shy about the potential cost of things to come, so wondering as well about trading it in, possibly for a new Mini or BMW. (I know, repair costs wont be any less on either one, right?, but at least I would have a few years of warranty.). Thoughts welcome.

Old 11-07-2020, 06:20 AM
NBCGLX
4th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Given the warranty expired just 8,000 miles ago, have you tried working with MINI on the repair? They may cover the repair fully or at a discount out if good faith.

Old 11-07-2020, 06:31 AM
SavannahMan
2nd Gear
Thanks NBCGLX. I was hoping Mini would offer some support but they didn’t. I will call and ask.

Old 11-11-2020, 01:25 PM
Yupetc
4th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 107 Posts
If you're near Houston, I won't hesitate to offer help and take the mount out and do the 3M rubber repair (3M windshield bond, I think). I've joined that discussion a few months back, if you search you will find how this is a common issue and how there is a way to fix it on your own. I'd even go as far as searching for repair on your own. The quoted $1,100 is robbery, but when I did mine, it did take a few hours because pretty much that whole portion of brackets, headlight, shrouds, all need to come out. And A/C lines are in the way in a very awkward manner which makes it a pain to deal. But it's a very doable job if you have all the tools.

Old 11-11-2020, 04:49 PM
SavannahMan
2nd Gear
Yupetc: thanks for your note and very generous offer to assist. Unfortunately, I am in Georgia. I don’t have many tools and experience has taught me to steer clear of repairs I really don’t know how to do. I did find a local, reputable shop that is going to replace the mount for about 1/2 dealer cost.
My next task will be reviewing the posts re: run flat vas traditional replacement tires.😄

Old 11-12-2020, 07:05 AM
Yupetc
4th Gear
Originally Posted by SavannahMan
Yupetc: thanks for your note and very generous offer to assist. Unfortunately, I am in Georgia. I don’t have many tools and experience has taught me to steer clear of repairs I really don’t know how to do. I did find a local, reputable shop that is going to replace the mount for about 1/2 dealer cost.
My next task will be reviewing the posts re: run flat vas traditional replacement tires.😄
The repair shop will simply change out your motor mount, no doubt it will address your current issue. But the motor mount itself has a fundamental error in design. The effective cross sectional area where torque and vibration is absorbed is too small. The new mount that goes onto your car will go through the same stress cycle again and likely another 50,000 miles later you will get another one of this work again. What I'm pointing out with the 3M window weld is to add some reinforcement to certain voids to increase the rubber content to increase the effective dampening cross sectional area, that'll likely be a permanent fix than just doing the straight replacement.

Old 11-12-2020, 09:37 AM
SavannahMan
2nd Gear
Yupetc: I found the fix you were describing. Looks pretty good. I will discuss with my mechanic. At a minimum, I will take the leaking one now on the car and do the window rubber repair in case the replacement also fails down the road. Again, I really appreciate your time and thoughtfulness trying to help me fix my Mini for lowest total cost. Thank you.

Old 11-13-2020, 06:11 AM
NBCGLX
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Yupetc
The repair shop will simply change out your motor mount, no doubt it will address your current issue. But the motor mount itself has a fundamental error in design. The effective cross sectional area where torque and vibration is absorbed is too small. The new mount that goes onto your car will go through the same stress cycle again and likely another 50,000 miles later you will get another one of this work again. What I'm pointing out with the 3M window weld is to add some reinforcement to certain voids to increase the rubber content to increase the effective dampening cross sectional area, that'll likely be a permanent fix than just doing the straight replacement.
Wouldn’t it be better to just go with an aftermarket mount to get rid of the issue long term? I know there are aftermarket options for the dogbone mount, not sure about the upper one.

Old 11-14-2020, 04:47 AM
SavannahMan
2nd Gear
I’m told there is not an aftermarket mount available.

Old 11-14-2020, 04:48 AM
NBCGLX
4th Gear
I’m told there is not an aftermarket mount available.
Bummer. I wonder if the GP3 upper mount is different in a meaningful way, and if so whether or not it fits other F5X cars.

Old 11-15-2020, 06:31 AM
Jstancampiano
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Aftermarket mount is available, but expensive. Looks like it may work, but vibration levels may be high.

https://www.direnza.co.uk/bmw-mini-f...rque-mount-kit

Joe

Old 11-16-2020, 03:21 PM
J_L
5th Gear
Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by NBCGLX
Bummer. I wonder if the GP3 upper mount is different in a meaningful way, and if so whether or not it fits other F5X cars.
I believe in one of those threads someone found that it was the same part #. Or maybe we were only able to find the Clubman JCW (300 hp) was the same, can't recall. Worth researching again.

The following users liked this post:
NBCGLX (11-17-2020)
Old 11-17-2020, 10:19 AM
Yupetc
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Jstancampiano
Aftermarket mount is available, but expensive. Looks like it may work, but vibration levels may be high.

https://www.direnza.co.uk/bmw-mini-f...rque-mount-kit

Joe
I had just taken a look at these. Glad you're able to find them and post them here. For a pair of mounts, the listed price is actually quite reasonable, considering a much beefier design and utilizing the PU material for it. The only question I have left is what sort of PU they use, and what's the Durometer rating? If these are used on factory spec S, I'd reckon they'd do just fine.

But for full bolt-on's especially if an aftermarket downpipe is installed (In my particular case, Mario's catless DP), there are certain angles the DP has pushed its limits and therefore will cause some vibration at low engine load. And as I've trialed with 3M window weld to fully seal both the passenger and driver side factory mounts, it turns out to be too stiff and it's given off some VERY annoying rattling and vibrations at idle. I can feel the whole engine shake from the cabin, it's bad. Once I put the unmodified mounts back on, everything turned out fine, although a slight hint of vibration between 800-1000 rpms is quite pronounced, this comes from the catless DP I have. Therefore, I have lots of skepticism about the Direnza momor mounts on how well they can idle or how much vibration gets transferred to the cabin. The PolyUrethane mounts usually are much stiffer than the regular rubber, but PU does fare much better in terms of longevity and strength, though.

Old 04-05-2021, 02:42 PM
miniwheels
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
my mistake

my mistake

Last edited by miniwheels; 04-05-2021 at 02:50 PM.
Old 06-07-2024, 01:22 PM
leskfish
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a very well maintained ‘19 S Convertible with about 58,000 miles. I had the plugs replaced today and was shown a leaking motor mount on the right side of the engine. Due to the location, and labor to fix it, the cost will be over $1100. They said it’s not urgent but as it leaks more fluid it may cause vibration. Does anyone have experience with this? Is it generally something that will, in fact, get worse? I love the Mini and this is my first real repair but I’m a little gun shy about the potential cost of things to come, so wondering as well about trading it in, possibly for a new Mini or BMW. (I know, repair costs wont be any less on either one, right?, but at least I would have a few years of warranty.). Thoughts welcome.
I know this is an old thread but I have the same 2019 f57 Convertible (not the S model) and ironically had the same issue right after 57,000 miles.... Had to cover the cost myself. Also had wire harness issues that would make the front and rear lights on all of one side not work. That happened right before the warranty was up so they covered it and they told me it was a "known issue" however they wouldn't go ahead and replace the other side so I have that replacement to look forward to when it goes out. ugh.

Old 06-07-2024, 03:11 PM
SavannahMan
2nd Gear
I found an independent shop that did the motor mount for $500 including a BMW mount. Apparently, if you can prove you purchased an original BMW MOUNT AND IT FAILS WITHIN 2 years, Mini will replace it, part and labor. One running light ring went out and was replaced by the dealer. The second went dim well out of warranty and they wanted $2400. Aftermarket replacement not available. I decided to trade it in for a ‘24 hardtop. I don’t like the ‘25 design and don’t like BMW’s China arrangement. I bought another Mini because I was used to it and the hatchback was easier to carry golf clubs. I bought the standard interior and radio this time as I am driving less and just wanted a nimble car. Good luck with your wire harness.