F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Launch of the 2014 Mini Cooper (F56)

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013 | 09:24 AM
SpeedRacer0212
4th Gear
I completely HATE it. Can you spell U-G-L-Y! That thing is ugly, the body lines are horrific and it take away from what we all know and love about MINI. When I get a new car it may be a MINI again, but hell if it is going to be this POS. I am really thinking about the Countryman now. Get a lift kit, bigger wheels and tires. Have some fun.

I was really hoping for MINI to announce an ALL WHEEL DRIVE R56 at a rock solid 250+ bhp. That is what one of the Sales Guy of MINI of Reisterstown told me, not the hp of course, but MINIs need to get faster and not be dumbed down or looked at as slow cars. Many new cars nowadays are packing 265 to 305 hp in 4 and 6 cylinder engines. For goodness sakes MINI give a power pack to your rides. But maybe in the next few years. That would be super ideal for me.

Last edited by SpeedRacer0212; 11-26-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Old 11-26-2013 | 11:55 AM
tampadave
5th Gear
I will anxiously await MINI's 2014 sales figures for the F56. Non-MINI owners may find the new design and increase in size attractive. People have different tastes - I chose a Roadster over a Hardtop, Paceman, Countryman, or Coupe. Others chose different models more suitable to their tastes. I hope non-MINI owners like the new look and buy the F56 (or any MINI for that matter). I want to see the brand succeed.

Old 11-26-2013 | 12:51 PM
type79
1st Gear
Question

Just who is this car targeted at?

Old 11-26-2013 | 01:51 PM
mini coop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by type79
Just who is this car targeted at?
Lets see.....taller, wider, bigger, 3 cylinder engine, removing the speedo from the center gauge, window switches on the door and huge tail lights. I would say that by these factors that the demographics is for older buyers and an aging market.

Will the convertible, roadster and coupe follow the same redesign as the front portion and tail lights were the same across all four models?

Last edited by mini coop; 11-27-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-26-2013 | 02:03 PM
type79
1st Gear
The Party's Over.....

As an owner of two new MINI's (2003/2010), it is safe to say,, I have bought my last MINI.

This latest MINI (If you want to call it that) is not for me.

I don't need, nor want, a bigger MINI Hardtop.

And I don't want a MINI that doesn't look like a MINI.

Or a MINI with taillights the size of plate glass windows.

And I like my speedometer right where it is, thank you.

Basically, this new MINI is for people that never liked the MINI.

Old 11-26-2013 | 02:26 PM
lnhervey
1st Gear
:)

It totally justifies my decision to spring for the 2013.

Old 11-26-2013 | 05:58 PM
ceoengr
2nd Gear
Mini is trying to be everything to everybody. In the process losing it's niche car identity. Coming soon near you.... a mini lawnmower. Unfortunately the Mini brand doesn't have the bullet proof reliability reputation as Honda to support this business model. So ultimately the Mini is destined to mean nothing to no one. IMHO this POS accelerates the destiny.

Old 11-26-2013 | 11:53 PM
Ezzy
Neutral
Originally Posted by vtmini38
Ohhh, I'm so pleased I have an R56. Why on earth did they make it bigger and put the fuel cap on the wrong side? I guess that's for those who expect someone other than the driver to fuel the car. The first two Bad Ideas! :thumbsdown:
Why would it matter which side the fuel cap is? Just drive to the other side of the pump? No reason to think someone else besides the driver is filling it, plenty of cars have caps on the right.

Old 11-27-2013 | 07:30 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Jazzop
This version creates a whole new context for my gripes about how the R56 was a bloated, overweight, and boring step backwards from the R53. Now R56 owners will finally understand why the R53 community was so smug.
People hate change. That's pretty much the issue in a nutshell. Original Mini owners hated the BMW-designed R50 design. R50/52/53 owners hated the R56 design. Now R56/R55/etc owners hate the F56.

Almost as if there's a pattern.

Oh, wait: there is!
“Robert Zajonc … observed that exposure to a novel stimulus initially elicits a fear/avoidance response by all organisms. Each repeated exposure to the novel stimulus causes less fear and more of an approach tactic by the observing organism. After repeated exposure, the observing organism will begin to react fondly to the once novel stimulus.”
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exposure_effect

Science!

Seven years from now, passionate F56 owners will be moaning about the next generation's design.

This has all happened before, and it will all happen again.

Last edited by bratling; 11-27-2013 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Fixed URL formatting error. Added some silly. ;-)
Old 11-27-2013 | 08:04 AM
ASKtheteach
5th Gear
Originally Posted by bratling
People hate change. That's pretty much the issue in a nutshell. Original Mini owners hated the BMW-designed R50 design. R50/52/53 owners hated the R56 design. Now R56/R55/etc owners hate the F56. Almost as if there's a pattern. Oh, wait: there is! “Robert Zajonc … observed that exposure to a novel stimulus initially elicits a fear/avoidance response by all organisms. Each repeated exposure to the novel stimulus causes less fear and more of an approach tactic by the observing organism. After repeated exposure, the observing organism will begin to react fondly to the once novel stimulus.” en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exposure_effect Science! Seven years from now, passionate F56 owners will be moaning about the next generation's design. This has all happened before, and it will all happen again.
Absolutely true. The petty whining approaches the level of ridiculousness sometimes. As a Countryman owner (who has also owned an R50 and an R56), I get sick of the "not a real MINI" BS. Soometimes I feel like I want to punch the next person who says that in the head. Get over it, folks. They are all REAL MINIs.

It should be about welcoming new owners into the fold and not about "mine is better than yours". There's a right to express an opinion and then there's needless bashing.

Old 11-27-2013 | 08:06 AM
mini coop
6th Gear
I hope that Mini Corporate monitors NAM and reads the comments stated here. There is a big base of buyers that are (were) loyal and we sustained the brand by buying new Mini's and/or owning multiple Mini's. As previously stated, I too own 2 Mini's. This will be my last "new" Mini based on the photos and the changes. There is no reason to buy the new version that I can see. I have never purchased a used car so does the new Ford Fiesta ST look more attractive?

Old 11-27-2013 | 09:06 AM
maddog
1st Gear
Message to MINI

I hate to weigh in before seeing the car in person, but the comparison photos that MINI posted in their release (the ones with 4 generations all lined up) have pretty much sealed it for me.

Let me state that I have bought 4 new MINIS (one of the first back in 2002 - I signed up 18 months before it got it). I might be in the target demographic of this new car (old guy with enough money for toy cars).

I don't mind paying more if the car gives me more. But as it stands, I see no reason to upgrade. With the expected price increase (not just base price, but an OTD price for a typically equipped model), and the styling that removes one of the only differentiators to the VW GTI (as in for the same price, and less performance, I might buy the MINI because I like the looks - no more). If I wanted a large practical hatch, I would be looking elsewhere. I like my MINIs because they are fun, handle well, and efficient.

If adding BMW features to the MINI is your planned path to success, I say if I wanted a BMW I would buy a BMW (and have, I've also bought 4 BMWs).

So for me, unless the new S can be had with 300 HP, or something that can out weigh the fatter looks, I'm not buying the 3rd gen. I'm sad to have to say that.

BTW the car that I believe shares the MINI chassis, the Active tourer, seems like a better package/deal. More focused in intent. Not the MINI market, but probably a pretty good choice for it's market.

Old 11-27-2013 | 09:08 AM
ceoengr
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mini coop
i hope that mini corporate monitors nam and reads the comments stated here. There is a big base of buyers that are (were) loyal and we sustained the brand by buying new mini's and/or owning multiple mini's. As previously stated, i too own 2 mini's. This will be my last "new" mini based on the photos and the changes. There is no reason to buy the new version that i can see. I have never purchased a used car so does the new ford fiesta st look more attractive?

+1.

Old 11-27-2013 | 12:29 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
I don't think people are bashing the F56. I wanted to like the new design.
It just doesn't look nice/good to many people here, myself included.

The transition from R53 to R56 was nice and smooth. All the basic things that made the R53 the MINI we know and love made it's way to the R56, with quality improvements.

Now this current iteration removes, and changes those key components that made this brand standout from the rest.

I personally sat in the car that everyone has seen pictures of. The interior isn't that bad, it's just the rearrangement of buttons that takes the MINI taste away. If anything, the quality is on par with the 2nd gens if not, a tad better. They just packed a lot more electronic gizmos into the car.

The nail in the coffin was the lack of center speedo.

Changes were made based on surveys of new owners who didn't understand the brand and all it's weirdness(aka quirkiness). It's the new owners that forced this change. So we can all thank them.

Old 11-27-2013 | 09:01 PM
LearningCS
Neutral
I really like the new design and I'm probably going to buy a new Cooper S in the spring. It would be my first new car. I have been aware of Mini's for a long time and have admired the classic Mini since the 90's, before the new versions. I only recently have been able to afford a new car so I am not familiar with the debate over the new models and I'm surprised at how many current Mini owners are upset with the new design.

It's bigger than the previous version, but that doesn't matter to me. It is still a very small car (2 ft shorter than a Civic coupe) with a sporty engine. The original Mini could never be made today because of government regulations and even if it was available, I probably would not buy it. For a daily driver, I want a new car with contemporary technology designed with the Mini philosophy in mind - FWD, light weight, tires pushed to the corners for stability and handling, and a powerful enough engine to have a blast behind the wheel. That is exactly what the new F56 will be. It will be lighter, handle better, and be more fun to drive than almost anything on the road.

As for the styling of the front, it is designed to meet pedestrian crash regulations and is following the design cues of every new global car on the market. Look at the new Mazda3, the new Mustang, Focus, Fiesta, BMWs, and any other new car with an engine in the front that will be sold in Europe and Asia. Most have space between the engine and hood and large flat grill openings. If you look at the new Mini in comparison to any other new car, it looks distinctive and contemporary. The round headlights and LED running lights are unique in a sea of wedge shaped headlights. If you look at just the new F56 by itself, without any idea that it should look a certain way, it is an attractive design. And no car design is static.

Car designs are evolutionary and usually, the best designs become standards. The center mounted speedometer, while quirky and unique, is a poor design. The driver should have an indication of the cars speed directly in front of his/her line of vision. Forcing the driver to look to the center of the car is unusual and potentially distracting. The Toyota Yaris, another contemporary car which had only a center mounted speedometer has dropped that design. As in the case of the Mini, if the car has a speedometer indicator in the driver position, then having a second speedometer in the center of the dash is redundant and a waste of space. A car design should not sacrifice efficiency and functionality for quirkiness and the Mini's are better off with that space dedicated to other instruments or gauges. Honestly, the lack of a center speedometer is a big plus for me.

First impressions are powerful enough to put off a buyer and if BMW felt the need to drop the center mounted speedometer, or make other design changes in response to consumer surveys, then I think they had good reason. If it were more advantageous to sales to keep a design unchanged, it would remain unchanged.

I think there are a lot of positives in the new design and I hope that many more people agree with me if I end up buying a new Cooper S in the spring. I agree with the Mini philosophy and whether or not I become an owner, I would like to see the brand grow as big as possible.

Old 11-27-2013 | 09:58 PM
Audiophile_Mark
2nd Gear
I could learn to like the ugly... probably could deal with losing the rally racing center speedo, but a 2.0 turbo charged engine (circa 2014) should have more than ~180BHP. Either BMW did this so as not to take away sales from their primary brand, or they were cheap, or lazy. Either way BMW should ask itself, do I want to compete with boring mass market vehicles or build a premium small sports car?

No thanks on the F56 BMW.

Old 11-27-2013 | 10:21 PM
BMBULBE
5th Gear
Why doesn't Mini release detailed pricing and option info on the 2014? You can't order a 2013 anymore, or order a 2014. What's going on?

Old 11-27-2013 | 10:42 PM
ZIPPY "S"
6th Gear
Hmmm like a lot have said.. the front end is out of control.. and the back end isn't to far behind.. What the heck is up with having such large taillights?? Way out of proportion.. Are they worried that people cant see when you brake?? Good Lord help us all!!! I don't understand how these engineers think..lol. I cant wait to see how sales reflect this outrageous design.. Numbers will have to be down..

Old 11-27-2013 | 11:26 PM
LearningCS
Neutral
Originally Posted by Audiophile_Mark
... a 2.0 turbo charged engine (circa 2014) should have more than ~180BHP. Either BMW did this so as not to take away sales from their primary brand, or they were cheap, or lazy. Either way BMW should ask itself, do I want to compete with boring mass market vehicles or build a premium small sports car?
The new Mazda3 has an NA 2 liter 4 cylinder with VVT that generates 155hp and the new Focus NA 2 liter 4 cylinder with variable timing makes 160hp. So 180-189 for the Mini 2 liter is good. Plus, if they turn up the Cooper S engine to 11, where will they go with the JCW version? They need to leave some room for the JCW model and the JCW bolt on parts to make enough performance to justify their price.

The Focus ST is generating 252 hp without any forced induction. I don't imagine Mini wants to lose many sales to the Focus ST or Fiesta ST, so I think the JCW options will be something special.

EDIT: Not to mention, if the life of this model and engine will be 6 years as the outgoing model was, in that time, Mazda will likely be building a new Mazdaspeed 3 with similar performance to the Focus ST. Mini will want to compete with these cars, along with Subaru, Mitsubishi, Scion, Nissan, and Chevrolet. The only way to grow is to take sales away from competitors. There's only so many ways the pie can be sliced and Mini wants as big a slice as possible.

Last edited by LearningCS; 11-27-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Old 11-28-2013 | 03:41 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
For those who say the negative comments are just because "people don't like change" are off base.

Car owners expect change. We know model lines do not stay the same more than 5-10 years. But we expect positive changes. Improvements. We don't expect to be handed a models that we view as a huge degradation of what we own and love. That's the problem, not the fact that it changed.

And FWIW, I did forward this thread to my SA. Asked him to forward it to any contacts he might have at MINI USA or even the corporate office. If enough of us do that, maybe someone who actually cares and can do something about the future of the MINI will see it.

Old 11-28-2013 | 07:14 AM
mini coop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LearningCS
I really like the new design and I'm probably going to buy a new Cooper S in the spring. It would be my first new car. I have been aware of Mini's for a long time and have admired the classic Mini since the 90's, before the new versions. I only recently have been able to afford a new car so I am not familiar with the debate over the new models and I'm surprised at how many current Mini owners are upset with the new design.

It's bigger than the previous version, but that doesn't matter to me. It is still a very small car (2 ft shorter than a Civic coupe) with a sporty engine. The original Mini could never be made today because of government regulations and even if it was available, I probably would not buy it. For a daily driver, I want a new car with contemporary technology designed with the Mini philosophy in mind - FWD, light weight, tires pushed to the corners for stability and handling, and a powerful enough engine to have a blast behind the wheel. That is exactly what the new F56 will be. It will be lighter, handle better, and be more fun to drive than almost anything on the road.

As for the styling of the front, it is designed to meet pedestrian crash regulations and is following the design cues of every new global car on the market. Look at the new Mazda3, the new Mustang, Focus, Fiesta, BMWs, and any other new car with an engine in the front that will be sold in Europe and Asia. Most have space between the engine and hood and large flat grill openings. If you look at the new Mini in comparison to any other new car, it looks distinctive and contemporary. The round headlights and LED running lights are unique in a sea of wedge shaped headlights. If you look at just the new F56 by itself, without any idea that it should look a certain way, it is an attractive design. And no car design is static.

Car designs are evolutionary and usually, the best designs become standards. The center mounted speedometer, while quirky and unique, is a poor design. The driver should have an indication of the cars speed directly in front of his/her line of vision. Forcing the driver to look to the center of the car is unusual and potentially distracting. The Toyota Yaris, another contemporary car which had only a center mounted speedometer has dropped that design. As in the case of the Mini, if the car has a speedometer indicator in the driver position, then having a second speedometer in the center of the dash is redundant and a waste of space. A car design should not sacrifice efficiency and functionality for quirkiness and the Mini's are better off with that space dedicated to other instruments or gauges. Honestly, the lack of a center speedometer is a big plus for me.

First impressions are powerful enough to put off a buyer and if BMW felt the need to drop the center mounted speedometer, or make other design changes in response to consumer surveys, then I think they had good reason. If it were more advantageous to sales to keep a design unchanged, it would remain unchanged.

I think there are a lot of positives in the new design and I hope that many more people agree with me if I end up buying a new Cooper S in the spring. I agree with the Mini philosophy and whether or not I become an owner, I would like to see the brand grow as big as possible.

Congratulations on being able to afford your first new car.

Everything that you mention is available on the current car. This is not an outdated and technologically inferior car. And, the speedo is not only center mounted but above the steering wheel as well. You have a choice electronically. Nothing is redundant as the steering gauge also is your tach and info center too. Moving iconic features defeats the uniqueness. You state that you hope that the Mini brand grows......check sales numbers. It is very successful. This new version is an attempt to attract mainstream buyers but the attempt brings it in line with other brands with nothing to differentiate it from competitors who offer better reliability, space, performance that is close, and competitive cost. We are the people who made Mini what it is. How about this idea.....want to grow volume and business, then, increase the number of dealerships! Make it convenient to own a Mini. I have no lack of comments or interest in my cars as it is and people want one, just not the inconvenience. Also marketing could be better to the mainstream to attract buyers. The current marketing is based on the uniqueness and word of mouth from us......the current and loyal owners. Redesign is risky and alienating current owners not only jeopardizes existing business but future business as we are the voice of like or dislike and we have the money to spend or not spend. As it is documented ....for every dislike from a consumer it reaches an additional 10 people. Then exponentially grows from there. We love our beloved current versions and moderate improvements would have been welcome.

Obviously you work for BMW/Mini..........

Last edited by mini coop; 11-28-2013 at 07:39 AM.
Old 11-28-2013 | 08:39 AM
LearningCS
Neutral
Originally Posted by mini coop
Obviously you work for BMW/Mini..........
No, I just like the new model. I'm 95% sold on it and I think it will be a car I enjoy. I want to feel good about my decision and I thought that a different perspective would be helpful.

I think the new Mini is just as unique as the old one. I could go to a Chevrolet dealer tomorrow and buy a Cruze if I wanted a regular car. I'm not knocking the Cruze, BTW. I had one for a rental car in July and I was very impressed with the quality of the interior and the driving experience. GM has made a very good car.

Old 11-28-2013 | 09:29 AM
ChaiLatte
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Audiophile_Mark
I could learn to like the ugly... probably could deal with losing the rally racing center speedo, but a 2.0 turbo charged engine (circa 2014) should have more than ~180BHP. Either BMW did this so as not to take away sales from their primary brand, or they were cheap, or lazy. Either way BMW should ask itself, do I want to compete with boring mass market vehicles or build a premium small sports car?

No thanks on the F56 BMW.
I think stuffing the 2.0 in there was a fantastic idea. Yeah 180HP is kind of lame, but the heavier 3 series (which has the same engine) is averaging around 26-30+MPG. Factor in that this engine is capable of pushing out another 40HP with ease and it really isn't so bad. I'm personally hoping the JCW gets the 328i's 2.0 with 240HP, because that version of the engine is capable of pushing out 280+HP. A280HP MINI? I think yes.

Old 11-28-2013 | 09:44 AM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Originally Posted by LearningCS
The Focus ST is generating 252 hp without any forced induction. I don't imagine Mini wants to lose many sales to the Focus ST or Fiesta ST, so I think the JCW options will be something special. EDIT: Not to mention, if the life of this model and engine will be 6 years as the outgoing model was, in that time, Mazda will likely be building a new Mazdaspeed 3 with similar performance to the Focus ST. Mini will want to compete with these cars, along with Subaru, Mitsubishi, Scion, Nissan, and Chevrolet. The only way to grow is to take sales away from competitors. There's only so many ways the pie can be sliced and Mini wants as big a slice as possible.
The Mazdaspeed 3 is already competing with the Focus ST. They are the fastest FWD cars on the market in stock form at the moment.

And the Focus ST has a turbo, as does that little feisty Fiesta ST.

And both these cars are at a lower price point. This next MINI will only cost more then the current offerings.

I wish they would have gave a bit more oomph with the bigger engine. My guess is all that extra headroom in the engine department will be shown in the JCW trim.

Old 11-28-2013 | 10:20 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Originally Posted by NewCooperFanatic
The Mazdaspeed 3 is already competing with the Focus ST. They are the fastest FWD cars on the market in stock form at the moment. And the Focus ST has a turbo, as does that little feisty Fiesta ST. And both these cars are at a lower price point. This next MINI will only cost more then the current offerings. I wish they would have gave a bit more oomph with the bigger engine. My guess is all that extra headroom in the engine department will be shown in the JCW trim.
The sad part is the Dodge Dart SRT4 will be the fastest when it's in production sometime late this year or early next year from news articles online.

But yeah the price point will be ridiculous to even buy another MINI.

I will be looking at the Subaru(coupe) STi and possibly the Fiesta ST. Seen a Fiesta ST on the highway yesterday, looks better than the Focus ST IMO. And all those cars I mentioned look better than the F56 from the exterior standpoint. The interior looks good, I have no complaints there. We'll see what happens two years from now if the F56 JCW looks really good:-).

Quick Reply: F55/F56 Launch of the 2014 Mini Cooper (F56)