F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Launch of the 2014 Mini Cooper (F56)

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 08:35 AM
mini coop
6th Gear
Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
The look is terrible. That is the first impression as to whether to consider and whether to buy a car. If you can not get past the first impression, then the other features do not matter. You will not want to even get into the car. Take for example the Pontiac Aztec. Ugly on the outside and a great car on the inside. Also had a great owner loyalty - even that didn't help the cause. Its a poor outside design and, again, moving or removing the iconic features barely makes it a Mini. Sad.........................

Last edited by mini coop; 12-03-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:47 AM
bela05
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so sad

hideous, glad i bought a 2013, knuckling under to the masses, so sad. is the fiat looking better?…uh oh! it is now losing it's iconic look. WTF were they thinking.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:08 AM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bela05
hideous, glad i bought a 2013, knuckling under to the masses, so sad. is the fiat looking better?…uh oh! it is now losing it's iconic look. WTF were they thinking.
It's the same story every time a new car model comes out: the current owners proclaim it's the end of the world and their current car is the last of the 'classics', then go out and buy the new model and fall in love with the new look. Every time. See R53 to R56 heartbreak.

Those who can't afford the new model whine a bit longer, until it depreciates into their price range.

There is nothing wrong with the new F56 MINI look, except (maybe) the Rocketman Halo concept headlights and butch front overhang.
From headlights back, it's 99% the same R53/R56 proportions and shape. Instantly recognizable. In 3 months aftermarket will glow abuzz with the new Halo-look headlight retrofits for R53/R56 cars at it will be all the rage

The interior is significantly improved with both speedometer and tachometer in the driver cluster, and the special-olympics mid-dash speedo freesby space has finally reclaimed for something useful!

The engine bay gets a proper BMW jewel of an N20 engine. Which is more powerful and sits further back behind the front axle for improved weight distribution.

So the car will be faster.
Pure goodness.

a

Old 12-03-2013, 11:13 AM
bela05
Neutral
well…there are sheet metal differences, the doors are different, the hard edge creases on the fenders, front end is BAD, grill too large, almost looks as if they're learning from, dare i say it, GM. and no, i don't like the excess on the dash, sorry i disagree.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:34 AM
mini coop
6th Gear
The speedo and tach are both on the steering column now......

Perhaps see the attached photo for the progression. With the exception of the original Mini to the R53....the F56 from the R56 is a huge difference.

I think most will agree that the R53 to R56 is acceptable. R53 to F56........well?

Attached Thumbnails Launch of the 2014 Mini Cooper (F56)-mini-lineup.jpg  
Old 12-03-2013, 02:35 PM
jrs66
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ceoengr
Lots of opinion both pros and cons.
Should clarify... almost all con.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:00 PM
afadeev
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mini coop
The speedo and tach are both on the steering column now......

Perhaps see the attached photo for the progression. With the exception of the original Mini to the R53....the F56 from the R56 is a huge difference.

I think most will agree that the R53 to R56 is acceptable. R53 to F56........well?
Is the left-most F56?
And second left-most R56?

I can hardly tell them apart.
a

Old 12-04-2013, 08:30 AM
mrathburn
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by afadeev
it's the same story every time a new car model comes out: The current owners proclaim it's the end of the world and their current car is the last of the 'classics', then go out and buy the new model and fall in love with the new look. Every time. See r53 to r56 heartbreak.

Those who can't afford the new model whine a bit longer, until it depreciates into their price range.

There is nothing wrong with the new f56 mini look, except (maybe) the rocketman halo concept headlights and butch front overhang.
From headlights back, it's 99% the same r53/r56 proportions and shape. Instantly recognizable. In 3 months aftermarket will glow abuzz with the new halo-look headlight retrofits for r53/r56 cars at it will be all the rage

The interior is significantly improved with both speedometer and tachometer in the driver cluster, and the special-olympics mid-dash speedo freesby space has finally reclaimed for something useful!

The engine bay gets a proper bmw jewel of an n20 engine. Which is more powerful and sits further back behind the front axle for improved weight distribution.

So the car will be faster.
Pure goodness.

A
+1

Old 12-04-2013, 02:32 PM
jaldeborgh@gmail.com
3rd Gear
Okay, I waited a few day and took another look. Nope not any better, I still think this car has lost much of it's charm and appeal. I'm a big BMW fan but they have had some styling duds and this looks like a step backwards to me.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:05 PM
Kyran
2nd Gear
I am not a fan of the new look. I like the fact that there is more power but thats about it.

Old 12-05-2013, 06:44 AM
LearningCS
Neutral
well…there are sheet metal differences, ... the hard edge creases on the fenders
The hard edge creases on the fenders allow the car to be more aerodynamic and increase fuel mileage according to the head of MINI design, interviewed here:

http://www.motoringfile.com/2013/11/...ng-on-the-f56/

Is the left-most F56?
And second left-most R56?

I can hardly tell them apart.
a
+1

I like them more and more, and I especially like the new Deep Blue color. I can't wait to test drive a Cooper S when the dealers get them in March.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:08 PM
cmacattack
1st Gear
As much as i hate the front end and can honestly say i will never buy one of these models, my biggest gripe is that they have moved the door and window controls to the doors. One of my favorite things is watching people get into my mini and look around the car in total confusion on how to roll down their window.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:25 PM
JesseA
1st Gear
Too long

Last edited by JesseA; 12-06-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:30 PM
JesseA
1st Gear
The front end is just getting too long. I have a r56 but I actually think the r53s are have a better appearance because they are more compact looking like a mini should be. It looks less mini like but the added horse power still makes it appealing to me

Old 12-06-2013, 10:17 PM
ChiliRedR56raleigh
4th Gear
Originally Posted by JesseA
The front end is just getting too long. I have a r56 but I actually think the r53s are have a better appearance because they are more compact looking like a mini should be. It looks less mini like but the added horse power still makes it appealing to me
The length doesn't bother me as much as the height, and shape. The lights really throw me off, and the black grille divider that looks like an exposed crash bumper.

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Old 12-07-2013, 09:29 AM
BlackIce
4th Gear
Where's the non-turbo 2.0l?

Sad not to see a non-turbo 2.0L offered. I like torque and reliability! Can always go S-Turbo and swap it out for a Super Charger.

That said, can't wait to see what the JCW's pumped up 2.0L Turbo will be.

And, the 2.0L Turbo should do wonders for the Countryman and Paceman once they get the new squirel mill.

PS: I like my "Special Ed" center speedo!

Old 12-07-2013, 10:23 AM
Danielng0811
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have a 2012 Clubman S and a 2014 BMW X1. X1 also using a 2.0 twin turbo engine with 8 speed. The low RPM is very good at 2,000 rpm.

I think new mini can do the same thing. Looking forward to testing drive

Old 12-07-2013, 11:06 AM
ChiliRedR56raleigh
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BlackIce
Sad not to see a non-turbo 2.0L offered. I like torque and reliability! Can always go S-Turbo and swap it out for a Super Charger. That said, can't wait to see what the JCW's pumped up 2.0L Turbo will be. And, the 2.0L Turbo should do wonders for the Countryman and Paceman once they get the new squirel mill. PS: I like my "Special Ed" center speedo!
Turbos make torque where non turbo engines can't. I don't get your post.

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Old 12-07-2013, 01:01 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Doubt we will ever see a supercharger set up again. Less efficient. Turbo everything is the future for petrol engines.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:11 AM
jrs66
3rd Gear
what's a 'special ed' center speedo??

Old 12-08-2013, 07:54 AM
borderwave2
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's the same story every time a new car model comes out: the current owners proclaim it's the end of the world and their current car is the last of the 'classics', then go out and buy the new model and fall in love with the new look. Every time. See R53 to R56 heartbreak. Those who can't afford the new model whine a bit longer, until it depreciates into their price range. There is nothing wrong with the new F56 MINI look, except (maybe) the Rocketman Halo concept headlights and butch front overhang. From headlights back, it's 99% the same R53/R56 proportions and shape. Instantly recognizable. In 3 months aftermarket will glow abuzz with the new Halo-look headlight retrofits for R53/R56 cars at it will be all the rage The interior is significantly improved with both speedometer and tachometer in the driver cluster, and the special-olympics mid-dash speedo freesby space has finally reclaimed for something useful! The engine bay gets a proper BMW jewel of an N20 engine. Which is more powerful and sits further back behind the front axle for improved weight distribution. So the car will be faster. Pure goodness. a

That is incorrect. The F56 will use the B38 engine not the N20. Both are 2.0 turbos, but until we get a 240 hp mini, we can't say that are in any way the same.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:28 AM
afadeev
6th Gear
Originally Posted by borderwave2
That is incorrect. The F56 will use the B38 engine not the N20. Both are 2.0 turbos, but until we get a 240 hp mini, we can't say that are in any way the same.
Good catch.

There is a LOT of confusion new engines' naming conventions out there.
The only thing for sure is that all engines will conform to BMW's 0.5L/cylinder philosophy.

B37 is the 3-cylinder 1.5L diesel engine that is rumored to be coming to the us for MINI and BMW 1-series.

B38 is the gasoline powered derivative of B37, and is the new 3-cylinder 1.5L turbo that will go in F56 Justa's. The best I can gather, F56 Justa will be the guinea pig for this engine's mass production.

F56 MCS will get a derivative of 2.0L turbo N20, but there are important differences between B48 (frequently also referred to as B38?) and N20. B48 will have vertically positioned injectors (similar to N54 engine) on top of combustion chamber, and should be lighter and more fuel efficient than N20 !!!

Though MINIs and 1-series will share the same transversely mounted engines, MINIs are due to only get 6-speed gearboxes vs. 8-speeds for 1-series.

http://www.autoevolution.com/bmw-blo...els-67891.html
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/07/b...-drive-review/
http://blog.caranddriver.com/first-l...engine-family/

a

Old 12-08-2013, 11:41 AM
mini coop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jrs66
what's a 'special ed' center speedo??
What are you asking?

Old 12-08-2013, 02:07 PM
bela05
Neutral
i think a lot of posters here are missing why people are upset. it is moving too far away from the eclectic, nostalgic, minuscule car that is the draw. when you step into it you're stepping into a bit of history, quirky, racy, fun, and NOT NORMAL, with all of the perks of a well built fabulous machine. when it starts to veer into the direction in style that it is with this new model, it is leaving that history further behind, no longer being as INDIVIDUAL. which most mini owners are! it is the LOOK that is homogenizing, becoming less unique, looking more like other cars, and who wants that?

Old 12-08-2013, 04:52 PM
afadeev
6th Gear
i think a lot of posters here are missing why people are upset. it is moving too far away from the eclectic, nostalgic, minuscule car that is the draw. when you step into it you're stepping into a bit of history, quirky, racy, fun, and NOT NORMAL, with all of the perks of a well built fabulous machine. when it starts to veer into the direction in style that it is with this new model, it is leaving that history further behind, no longer being as INDIVIDUAL. which most mini owners are! it is the LOOK that is homogenizing, becoming less unique, looking more like other cars, and who wants that?
Bela05,

I get your point, but also disagree with the underlying thesis for the following reason.

I had the pleasure of driving the original 60s Mini - tiny, fun, and brutally simple car. I squeezed into it, and felt that if anything was going to go wrong (mechanical breakdown or an accident), I would be done for. Luxurious, safe, or comfortable it certainly was not. Not by a long shot.
Originally Mini was a simple, cheap car, that also happened to be fun on many levels.

21st century's Mini reincarnation under BMW ownership had completely flipped those priorities. Both R53 and R56 are semi-luxuries, safe, comfy, and fun to drive. Roughly in that order. They are relatively small by the modern standards (though much bigger than the original), but certainly neither simple, nor cheap.

F56 is just a progression of that trend, with a higher content of BMW engineering that will make the car yet more luxuries, safe, comfy, and fun to drive. In that order. It will remain neither simple, nor cheap.

And it will sell like hot cakes.

a

Quick Reply: F55/F56 Launch of the 2014 Mini Cooper (F56)