F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 The F56 Cooper S - My Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 07:07 AM
R99
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The F56 Cooper S - My Thoughts

I will start by saying that I ordered a Cooper S last week - so I've been a little back to front as I only just got to drive a demo model today.

Most people will know that I have owned 3 MINI's and this will be my 4th (1 x 1st gen and 2 x 2nd gen) so I wasn't too concerned about ordering the car without the chance to drive it.

Anyway, my salesman offered me the chance to take an extended test drive and today and I got a feel for the car I have ordered!

Exterior

I have to say, bar the massive wheel gap (which will be sorted once some aftermarket parts are available) I love the look of the new car. It will be marmite to some, but for me I can see why MINI have made the changes they have and it looks very much like a MINI.

I don't like the launch spec Orange colour, and I think more people will come round to it once some other colour options start to become more common. I have opted for Thunder Grey.

The new LED headlights and halo rings look great and are stupidly bright! Its nice to see some forward thinking here with putting new tech into the car.

Driving

On the road, it felt very swift - its not brutal, but before you know it, you are doing speeds that would get you in trouble! The rev matching feature has been a subject of contention, but honestly, its great and it makes the exhaust pop and bang too (especially when in sport mode)

I had a play between the various different driving modes, and unlike on my 2007 JCW Stg 1 - its nice to see that pressing the button actually DOES something!! Sport mode felt much more aggressive in terms of engine note, exhaust sound and the car I drove had the EDC suspension, so the handling tightened up nicely too.

It felt as though the car really does have an alter ego when you mash the throttle - it sounds very flat buzzing around at 30 in 4th, but it sounds absolutely fantastic in the cabin when you floor it, and the engine feels so much more torquey than my previous experience with my R56 JCW Stage 1. I would like to hear more sound from the exhaust though if I'm honest! Although its pleasing to still hear the all too familiar noise of pops and bangs.

I would also say the engine sounds and feels totally unstressed, you certainly don't get the impression that you are having to wring its neck to get every last HP from it.

Eco mode really did dull the car down, but I guess thats how they can claim 48 mpg and to be totally honest on my daily 45 mile dual carriageway commute, I will be using this mode quite a lot!!

Yes, I would agree that its a much more grown up version of the R56 yet IMO it still manages to display the same character and engage you just as much as the previous two versions of the MINI - in short, it makes you want to drive it!!

Interior

Its a massive change, but I love it! I have gone to town with the options on mine, as I will be using it 6 days per week and I wanted to have somewhere nice to be.

The launch spec car I drove had all the same features as my order, plus a few others. The HUD for me is a gimmick and I'm glad I haven't opted for it - it also clutters the smooth lines of the dash. The seats are a league ahead and the leather with alcantara is a really nice touch - which makes the car feel very upmarket. They also hug nicely when you are giving the car some beans through the corners.

The sat nav screen at 8.8" is massive, but it doesn't look too big sat there - the menu seemed a little complicated to me, however with more time to explore it I'd imagine that its not as clunky as it appears at first glance.

My only other criticism is that I think the steering wheel and gear **** are not very tactile. I will be looking forward to seeing the JCW options!

Finally, it could be a placebo for me since I have been out of MINI's for 9 months, but I certainly felt as though the windscreen is a lot shorter than on my old R56. Its like looking through a pillbox - I loved it. It could also be that the dash seems to sit higher?

Summary

In essence, I am really happy I have ordered - I was smitten by the car just from sitting in it to be totally honest, hence ordering before driving. I would say there are things that could be better and I hope the JCW range has some nice options to replace things like the steering wheel, gear **** and hand brake.

I also hope MINI will bring out a range similar to the BMW Performance catalogue where they offer things like exhausts and air induction kits, as I would like to see the car have some warranty friendly options to make it a little more 'hardcore' than it currently is. Some will say thats the job of the coming JCW model, but again when you look at the BMW marketing strategy they offer various exhaust upgrades for most of their model range.

For anyone sitting on the fence, go and have a drive!!

Old 03-19-2014, 09:01 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Thanks for the detailed report! I look forward to seeing and driving the F56.

Originally Posted by R99
The sat nav screen at 8.8" is massive, but it doesn't look too big sat there - the menu seemed a little complicated to me, however with more time to explore it I'd imagine that its not as clunky as it appears at first glance.
Don't count on it. The system on current BMW's is clunky (and was even worse in the past). This seems to be an area that BMW just doesn't know how get right.

Old 03-19-2014, 02:08 PM
marcussoori
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad you got a chance to drive a test car! Does anyone know when US dealers will have test cars available? I heard some time ago that there would be "special preview events" at dealers during March...?

Old 03-19-2014, 03:23 PM
CobraBob
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great review! Makes me even MORE excited about getting my own MCS in early April.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:20 PM
gtmotor
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by marcussoori
Glad you got a chance to drive a test car! Does anyone know when US dealers will have test cars available? I heard some time ago that there would be "special preview events" at dealers during March...?
My local dealer is telling me they are expecting them next week

I've been bugging them on a fairly regular basis... I can't wait to sit in an F56.

Thanks for the review R99!

Old 03-20-2014, 06:38 AM
marcussoori
3rd Gear
Thanks, gtmotor! If that's true, then federal certification should be done before then! That's good news for those whose cars are waiting at the distribution center.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:18 AM
Mrdi
5th Gear
Nice write up-thanks.

"Leather w/ Alcantara?"
Are those the seats that are offered on the Mini site as
Leatherette w/ cloth/Black Pearl, inserts in black $750

Old 03-20-2014, 09:31 AM
hammerhands
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Did the car you drove have the sports suspension? Are you ordering the sports suspension?

I see in another thread that you did order it. How did that car drive? Compared to an R50/53?

Last edited by hammerhands; 03-20-2014 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:00 PM
Mrdi
5th Gear
Originally Posted by marcussoori
Thanks, gtmotor! If that's true, then federal certification should be done before then! That's good news for those whose cars are waiting at the distribution center.
The certification is done before they're allowed to be imported for sale.

Last edited by Mrdi; 03-20-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:20 PM
marcussoori
3rd Gear
Mrdi, my comment was based on my seeing many other posts stating that the certification has not yet been completed.

Old 03-20-2014, 03:06 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
A dude from Oxford took delivery of one today.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:11 PM
CobraBob
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Mrdi
The certification is done before they're allowed to be imported for sale.
Then my dealer gave me wrong info. I was told that the certification wouldn't be done until the cars arrived here in the states. He said it shouldn't take long but might delay delivery of my MINI. I know as of the middle of February the MINI was not yet certified by the EPA. Great if the certification is complete. Then there should be no delays.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:36 AM
papawhiskey
4th Gear
Folks,

I was in to Mini of Birmingham (AL) this past Saturday. The sales Mgr there told me that the car had just past the EPA Certification process and should be going on sale possibly this week as deliveries to dealerships can now occur.

I went ahead and ordered a MCS Hardtop and should find out today/tomorrow about the build and delivery.

Paul_F

Old 03-24-2014, 10:02 AM
Mrdi
5th Gear
I think they are just spot checking for smog/EPA

Old 03-24-2014, 10:09 AM
CobraBob
5th Gear
Spot checking? Where did you hear that?

Old 03-24-2014, 10:35 AM
Mrdi
5th Gear
Originally Posted by CobraBob
Spot checking? Where did you hear that?
So Cal Dealer

Old 03-24-2014, 03:41 PM
ojedam64
3rd Gear
I'm new to mini's drove my buddies 2010 hardtop and loved it. was going to wait to test drive then after reading and watching a bunch of you tube I pulled the trigger last month and ordered one. mine went into production on the 19th of this month.....hopeing to see it soon.

Great write up, makes me even more excited to get it! sold my 2005 ram 2500 for the mini! wow this is going to be huge difference! I'm going to love the MPGs.

I went with volcanic orange, but then I'm a bright and in your face kinda guy so it fits.

Mike