F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Hooray! Got mine and my first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 07:25 PM
MotorMayhem
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hooray! Got mine and my first impressions

Greetings all, I am very happy to report after an insanely hectic week I have gotten my F56 MCS. Simply put I love the car more with each drive. I have the Sports Auto Trans with paddle shifters, DDM, and numerous other bells and whistles. It's midnight black with black interior and JCW rugs. I was also able to get it tinted this morning and am very happy with the results. Just wish our Florida sun would come out and play so I can speed up the curing process. Pics below.

I have almost 300 miles on it already with a mix of city and highway. Still haven't pushed it super hard yet as I break her in. There have been many great first impressions already listed; but below are some of mine (in no particular order).

- Green mode is only nice (for me) on the highway. Didn't use it too much, but I could see it being handy on big drives in the future. I do not see myself using in city driving at all.
- Engine Auto start is easily disabled and the car recalls this setting so this is not an issue.
- I am happy I got the Dynamic Dampener, I do feel a clear ride difference between the three settings and in sport the car firms up pretty darn well. I also feel its effect in breaking when in Sport mode. I can't wait to push that harder in the days to come.
- New Mini Connected Tech/Nav is simply worth the money IMO. It is a great refinement over the R56 connected set up and made a BMW fanatic friend of mind very jealous (since he has few year older BMW with a much older iteration of the system).
- The updates made to the Aisin transmission are great. Hard to believe it was all just software updates that really made the difference
- The HUD is a great option, I love it. Also kinda of cool that there is one item in the ride that is just for you, the driver.
- The car did "feel" a bit bigger than my R56 on the first day, but by day number two it felt perfectly normal.
- just like other Mini's before it, the F56 is a great performer in rainy weather (which we have had plenty of this week)
- So far, no rattles, creaks, or random noises. Curious to see how that holds in the days,weeks, months to come.
- For me the car is pure joy in a can. Just open the door, get in, and enjoy.

Attached Thumbnails Hooray! Got mine and my first impressions-pic-1.jpg   Hooray! Got mine and my first impressions-pic2.jpg   Hooray! Got mine and my first impressions-pic3.jpg  
Old 05-02-2014, 07:26 PM
MotorMayhem
3rd Gear
more pics

Attached Thumbnails Hooray! Got mine and my first impressions-pic4.jpg   Hooray! Got mine and my first impressions-pic5.jpg   Hooray! Got mine and my first impressions-pic6.jpg  
Old 05-02-2014, 07:42 PM
VYPUR
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks freaking awesome!! Congrats!!

Old 05-02-2014, 08:07 PM
russmini
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Nicely "Murdered Out"!

Old 05-02-2014, 08:36 PM
MotorMayhem
3rd Gear
Thanks to both of you, I am very happy with the sheer aggressive look of the all black set up. Here is a larger version of my new sig pic as well.

Attached Thumbnails Hooray! Got mine and my first impressions-pic7.jpg  
Old 05-02-2014, 09:31 PM
champ198
3rd Gear
Nice ride!! Love the spoiler and congrats!

Old 05-02-2014, 09:40 PM
jmeryllman
2nd Gear
Congratulations!!

Old 05-03-2014, 02:48 AM
JohnBLZ
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MotorMayhem

- Green mode is only nice (for me) on the highway. Didn't use it too much, but I could see it being handy on big drives in the future. I do not see myself using in city driving at all.
- Engine Auto start is easily disabled and the car recalls this setting so this is not an issue.
I used Green pretty extensively with start/stop in the city and have no problems. Averaging 33MPG in the city with it....so added incentive there. It's pretty easy to flip over to sport mode to have some quick fun when traffic allows.

Old 05-03-2014, 03:26 AM
VYPUR
5th Gear
Very nice...the LEDS look nice.

Old 05-03-2014, 03:32 AM
richreef
3rd Gear
Congrats- It's a beauty. Love the matching body and roof color along with the spoiler. Hope the Florida sun doesn't get to you in with the black color.

Old 05-03-2014, 06:26 PM
MotorMayhem
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by richreef
Congrats- It's a beauty. Love the matching body and roof color along with the spoiler. Hope the Florida sun doesn't get to you in with the black color.
thanks

Nah, heat should be fine. I also got the ceramic based lumar tint which from previous experience is pretty good at reducing the interior temp

Old 05-03-2014, 07:16 PM
JS24
2nd Gear
more pics
Looks really good man. Wish I could have joined you in getting mine as well.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:20 PM
MotorMayhem
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by JS24
Looks really good man. Wish I could have joined you in getting mine as well.
Thanks dude Me too, I feel for you brother. I'm having a scotch for you right now.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:21 PM
JS24
2nd Gear
Thanks dude Me too, I feel for you brother. I'm having a scotch for you right now.
Appreciate it. And I'm having a White Russian for my fallen car now.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:37 PM
kellmark
1st Gear
Love the black

I love the black. It does a lot to get rid of the "frog mouth" look of the F56S.

If I was to get one, I would also try to do something about that damned horizontal chrome bar in the front grill. It is very visually disturbing to me. But that is just me. Maybe some folks like it.

I wish you the best with your new baby. Enjoy it.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:03 PM
MotorMayhem
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by kellmark
I love the black. It does a lot to get rid of the "frog mouth" look of the F56S.

If I was to get one, I would also try to do something about that damned horizontal chrome bar in the front grill. It is very visually disturbing to me. But that is just me. Maybe some folks like it.

I wish you the best with your new baby. Enjoy it.
Thanks Dude,

I don't mind the horizontal line by itself personally. Originally I was thinking I would also black out all the chrome but once I got her I felt differently. Still undecided overall but I do like the contrast it gives on my other wise black ride. I am forcing myself to be patient on what I change to see what options will come forward in the months to come.

On a side note on the "bumper", my MA advised that he has been told that Mini will be offering new accessory options to cover these with either the color of the car or other designs (similar to the side scuttles and mirror covers). Only time will tell I guess if this turns out to be true.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:22 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
gotta say again, the black looks pretty good

Old 05-05-2014, 06:37 AM
CapriGT
2nd Gear
SNAP! Looks fab, I love the tints. I put a nano coating paint protection on mine to help with the cleaning :-)

Old 05-05-2014, 06:59 AM
MotorMayhem
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by CapriGT
SNAP! Looks fab, I love the tints. I put a nano coating paint protection on mine to help with the cleaning :-)
Thanks Man, I am thinking of doing something similar for mine as well, just doing some research on what treatment I want to go with. I am very glad to hear that you've had good results for your half of our twins separated by the pond.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:16 AM
zwazoo
2nd Gear
thanks

Nah, heat should be fine. I also got the ceramic based lumar tint which from previous experience is pretty good at reducing the interior temp
Looks great in all Black, quite a family of 1st generation F56s we have here.

You've had good experience with the ceramic based lumar tint, good to hear as I'm considering that for mine.

Tom

Old 05-05-2014, 07:51 AM
MotorMayhem
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by zwazoo
Looks great in all Black, quite a family of 1st generation F56s we have here.

You've had good experience with the ceramic based lumar tint, good to hear as I'm considering that for mine.

Tom
Thanks Tom,

I would agree, the F56 train is just rolling in faster and faster it appears

On the ceramic tint I am happy to report I noticed a pretty significant effect with it yesterday in my F56. I was out for most the afternoon and the Florida sun had finally decided to come back out. It was easily 90ish degrees in the direct sun.

I left car sitting in the sun for a few hours while I having lunch with some friends and was very pleased that when I returned to the car; the interior was warm but certainly not hot. I do also use the Mini branded windshield screen as well but it was still noticeably different from my R56 which had the metalized Llumar film on it.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:58 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
Nice car man, congrats. Now get some real floormats! Cocomats.com. Accept no knockoffs. Black with various colored dots would look great you pick.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:13 AM
tigerhonaker
4th Gear
OP,

Outstanding

Terry

Old 05-05-2014, 09:00 PM
MotorMayhem
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Nice car man, congrats. Now get some real floormats! Cocomats.com. Accept no knockoffs. Black with various colored dots would look great you pick.
Thanks for the suggestion Newt, those a pretty sweet mats. I will stick with the JCW Mini brand ones for now. They do look very sharp in the car (much better than the pic). Plus they are a heavier fabric than the default mats that come with the car. I will certainly check the cocomats out though when the time comes as I plan on having this ride for some time .

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
OP,

Outstanding

Terry
Thanks Terry. Just so many gorgeous F56's on NAM now. :D

Old 05-06-2014, 06:17 AM
zwazoo
2nd Gear
Thanks Tom,

I would agree, the F56 train is just rolling in faster and faster it appears

On the ceramic tint I am happy to report I noticed a pretty significant effect with it yesterday in my F56. I was out for most the afternoon and the Florida sun had finally decided to come back out. It was easily 90ish degrees in the direct sun.

I left car sitting in the sun for a few hours while I having lunch with some friends and was very pleased that when I returned to the car; the interior was warm but certainly not hot. I do also use the Mini branded windshield screen as well but it was still noticeably different from my R56 which had the metalized Llumar film on it.
Very good; our sun here, Northern Virginia, is not as direct, but it does get hot. Particular brand you use or just looking for ceramic?

Quick Reply: F55/F56 Hooray! Got mine and my first impressions