F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Enlighten me, please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 08:42 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Enlighten me, please!

Okay, I asked about the headlights about a month ago, but now have a somewhat different question. I've talked to 3 people at 2 different dealerships (2 managers and 1 MA) about them, and have gotten conflicting answers. On the OPTION headlights, not the standard halogen, are they pure LED, or a combination of LED and Xenon? It ought to be simple to get an answer, but apparently it's not. One of the dealerships hasn't even opened yet, so I can understand a bit of confusion amongst the new employees, but since it's where I'll be ordering, I want to make absolutely sure I get what I need. And if I order the cornering lights option, I'll be getting the brightest light available for these deer-studded country roads I frequent, right?

(And no, I don't want to install driving lights.)

Old 05-24-2014, 09:33 PM
dwdyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From what I can tell at realoem.com they are LED, not LED+Xenon

Old 05-24-2014, 09:36 PM
winkayy
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey there!

alrighty so to answer your question, i do not believe they are xenon any longer, but just the mini brand of them. However, still have the same type of lighting. The outside ring, as well as taillights are in fact LED though. No matter what car you buy, there is no comparison to a mini, and yes, of course the cornering would have the brightest lighting. Of course due to the fact the cornering lights come with 100% LED fog lights (not the case in the past) it should be even more brighter. All in all, as far as everything about the lights, weather they are 100% LED or 50/50, they are still going to be the brightest lights on the road, even compared to other cars, so it shouldn't matter, however, if you are absolutely in need of the bright brightest, i would recommend getting the driving fog lights or installing your own. hope this helps!

Old 05-24-2014, 10:00 PM
MotorMayhem
3rd Gear
Everything I have seen on the LED headlights is that they are 100% LED. I have the LED with cornering and like many others here on NAM have mentioned; they are very bright and the cornering function is outstanding. I do not think you will regret this option at all.

Just look at the lens flare in my signature, there is no photoshopping going on there. Just my cell phone camera dealing with those bright lights .

Old 05-25-2014, 09:42 AM
shraz
3rd Gear
I can't believe the non-led doesn't come with the horse shoe running LED lights. Just for that, it is worth spending the extra for them.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:45 AM
gtmotor
2nd Gear
Full LED.

They are really powerful and quite beautiful. It's one option I think EVERY Mini should have.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:50 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MotorMayhem
Everything I have seen on the LED headlights is that they are 100% LED. I have the LED with cornering and like many others here on NAM have mentioned; they are very bright and the cornering function is outstanding. I do not think you will regret this option at all.

Just look at the lens flare in my signature, there is no photoshopping going on there. Just my cell phone camera dealing with those bright lights .
I thank you. The deer thank you. My insurance company thanks you!

Old 05-25-2014, 10:04 AM
StevenZoz
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by shraz
I can't believe the non-led doesn't come with the horse shoe running LED lights. Just for that, it is worth spending the extra for them.
most near luxury or luxury cars are like this. No LEDs unless you get the xenons (or LEDs in this case). Was the same case with my previous car.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:39 PM
mkskchun85
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like MotoMayhem said, the LED lights are HELLA bright.

Not only do the light the entire 4 lane highways here, they also cast a blue/purple light that hits the road signs here. All of the white signs here show a tinge of blue. I've noticed that a lot of the cars slow down when i approach, possibly thinking there's a cop car around...

Attached Thumbnails Enlighten me, please!-dsc_0380.jpg  
Old 05-27-2014, 08:15 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
I found out something today--the cornering headlights aren't what I though they were. I had the impression that they rotate somewhat as you headed into a corner. They don't. They are to illuminate turns onto a street--something that isn't a problem, at least at my age. Granted, I'm approaching the age where a lot of my fellow residents turn short and wind up in the ditch (a common occurrence, according to my small-town newspaper), but I'm not there yet!

So, I'll save some money and just get the LEDs. Only saw 2 deer tonight. Usually see 5 or 6 on the route we took tonight.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:58 PM
TouchUpDirect
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mkskchun85
Like MotoMayhem said, the LED lights are HELLA bright.

Not only do the light the entire 4 lane highways here, they also cast a blue/purple light that hits the road signs here. All of the white signs here show a tinge of blue. I've noticed that a lot of the cars slow down when i approach, possibly thinking there's a cop car around...
Yeah, I'm surprised at how purple the edge of the light is against street signs, cars, etc. The direct light is very white, but the very edge is crazy how much color there is.

Old 05-28-2014, 03:32 AM
randomquickness
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
I found out something today--the cornering headlights aren't what I though they were. I had the impression that they rotate somewhat as you headed into a corner. They don't. They are to illuminate turns onto a street--something that isn't a problem, at least at my age. Granted, I'm approaching the age where a lot of my fellow residents turn short and wind up in the ditch (a common occurrence, according to my small-town newspaper), but I'm not there yet!

So, I'll save some money and just get the LEDs. Only saw 2 deer tonight. Usually see 5 or 6 on the route we took tonight.
the website seems to elude to them rotating as you head into a corner, which my adaptive BMW headlights did...

"These exceptionally crisp LED headlamps with surrounding LED Rings, automatically bend around corners to light your way, adjusting their angle to the road based on your speed and load. With rain and automatic headlight sensors, they also automatically adjust for both rain and darkness."

Old 05-28-2014, 03:53 AM
CobraBob
5th Gear
I have both the LED headlights and the cornering LEDs. I would not want anything less. True, the cornering LEDs consist of a row of LEDs that light depending on your turning angle. But.....they WORK. If they function equal to a traditional corner light, that's all I care about. The LED headlights are extraordinary. Very bright. Gorgeous. And the purple/blue tinge is icing on the cake. If you're on the fence about the combo, I highly recommend you go for it. You will not be disappointed IMO.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:43 AM
Nuke-em
3rd Gear
While reading this thread, I came upon a hypothetical problem with the LED headlights.

It's my understanding that LED's do not generate nearly as much heat as halogen or xenon lights. Many see this as an advantage. However, does this mean LED headlights will be more susceptible to snowing and icing over during the winter?

This was an issue a few years ago with LED traffic signals.

-Matt

Old 05-28-2014, 08:47 AM
SeppTB
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Nuke-em
While reading this thread, I came upon a hypothetical problem with the LED headlights.

It's my understanding that LED's do not generate nearly as much heat as halogen or xenon lights. Many see this as an advantage. However, does this mean LED headlights will be more susceptible to snowing and icing over during the winter?

This was an issue a few years ago with LED traffic signals.

-Matt
Potentially...

but the car itself should be plenty warm enough to melt ice and the lights are right near the engine, so I doubt it'll be an issue when the car is in use. LED traffic lights don't have a running combustion engine sitting directly behind them

Old 05-28-2014, 09:15 AM
Nuke-em
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by SeppTB
Potentially...

but the car itself should be plenty warm enough to melt ice and the lights are right near the engine, so I doubt it'll be an issue when the car is in use. LED traffic lights don't have a running combustion engine sitting directly behind them
Not necessarily. It's not unusual for me to pull into my garage after driving through a snowstorm only to find the entire front end and hood (aside from parts of the headlight housings) plastered with snow and ice.

-Matt