F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Can someone explain the front/rear foglight "option"?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 04:58 PM
silus
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can someone explain the front/rear foglight "option"?

I'm sure this has been covered, but can't find it under the search. The front and rear foglight is one of the few additions on Mini's website that doesn't change the look of the car, whether it's the S or the base model. It appears that foglights already come standard. So what is the distinction when the addition is made? Thanks!

Old 05-26-2014, 05:15 PM
mini-mine
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When you add the fog lights, they just become operational versus just empty housing/non-operational buttons. The two buttons next to the lights become actual buttons (with light-up icons). Also, actual bulbs will be in the fog light housings.

So visually, it seems only the interior would be where you would notice any change and even then it's tucked in the corner where only the drive would really notice. It is a must less noticeable add-on than previous generations where you would get the additional toggles. Personally, I would have liked the two end toggles to have been the fog lights as the only way you can get all the toggles is to add two very expensive options...

Old 05-26-2014, 05:27 PM
silus
1st Gear
Thanks!

Old 05-26-2014, 10:00 PM
TouchUpDirect
2nd Gear
I wish the car would remember when you have the fog lights on after a restart. Just about every other vehicle I've had if the lights are set to on, they come on every time the car is started.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:12 PM
silus
1st Gear
Would you recommend the option? I'm not getting the LEDs so I figured I would at least go for the fog lights.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:17 PM
TouchUpDirect
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by silus
Would you recommend the option? I'm not getting the LEDs so I figured I would at least go for the fog lights.
Well I have the LED's and therefore the LED fog lights. And there's also running lights that are always one...the fog light lamp is split into two lights, the fog light and the running light. I was a little bit confused about this at first because I thought my car had the fog's on all the time. It turned out to just be running lights and there was even more light to be had with the fogs on. But the fogs always need to be turned on after the car has been shut down.

So now that I've completely evaded your question, I would say yes. But I always say yes to lighting upgrades. Probably best to go to a dealer and check it out and see what you prefer.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:23 PM
silus
1st Gear
Thanks!

Old 05-26-2014, 10:29 PM
TouchUpDirect
2nd Gear
Oh, BTW, my car does not have a rear fog lamp from what I can tell. There is a block off plate where the rear fog light switch would be. I'm not even too sure if the rear fog is available in the US, but I'd be curious to know if anyone on here has it.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:31 PM
dwdyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The rear fog lights are not bad if you drive in fog a lot. I know that sounds obvious but they are to increase your visibility to others and if you're not in fog a lot, they are of questionable value. Some cops in the US have stopped people with them on because they thought they were stuck brake lights. They may not be fully legal to use in some places in the US as well.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:35 PM
TouchUpDirect
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by dwdyer
The rear fog lights are not bad if you drive in fog a lot. I know that sounds obvious but they are to increase your visibility to others and if you're not in fog a lot, they are of questionable value. Some cops in the US have stopped people with them on because they thought they were stuck brake lights. They may not be fully legal to use in some places in the US as well.
Yeah, they're certainly not a necessity here in Los Angeles! It never seems to rain or be foggy and if, by chance it is, every fool on the roads crashes anyway so it's just one big traffic jam!

Old 05-26-2014, 10:38 PM
dwdyer
5th Gear
And while I'm thinking of it -- in some states you have to use front-facing fog lights the way you'd use high beams. That is, turn them off when you're within so many feet of oncoming traffic or behind someone else.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:41 PM
silus
1st Gear
I still don't understand what you're supposed to have on during heavy fog. I always just used standard headlights.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:22 AM
JohnBLZ
5th Gear
Originally Posted by TouchUpDirect
Oh, BTW, my car does not have a rear fog lamp from what I can tell. There is a block off plate where the rear fog light switch would be. I'm not even too sure if the rear fog is available in the US, but I'd be curious to know if anyone on here has it.
I have it....it's somewhat useful in lighting up things behind me at night....including people who seem to think it's appropriate to drive 5 feet behind me at 80 mph.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:02 AM
tigerhonaker
4th Gear
I still don't understand what you're supposed to have on during heavy fog. I always just used standard headlights.
Silus,

I have both options on my MCS.

I have the (Front & Rear) LED fog-lights.

I ordered them along with the Front LED headlights with Cornering-Lights.

They all work perfect for different driving conditions.

I am really impressed with the LED headlights with Cornering-Lights.
They work and are IMO well worth the cost.
The LED headlights going from Dim to Bright are totally "Awesome".
They light up the world.

The rear LED fog-lights are BRIGHT and I run them in heavy rain conditions.
Trust me the idiot tailgating you will see them

Here are a few pictures of Front & Rear for you.

Name:  2014MCSfoglightbtns_zpsb8a0f929.png
Views: 9900
Size:  495.1 KB

Name:  2014BlazingRedMetallicMCSPics3_zps2a8cfa2a.png
Views: 3854
Size:  1.69 MB

Name:  2014BlazingRedMetallicMCSPics10_zpsdfbd30c9.png
Views: 3912
Size:  1.12 MB

Name:  2014BlazingRedMetallicMCSPics5_zps784070e3.png
Views: 3813
Size:  1.58 MB

Terry

Old 05-27-2014, 09:18 AM
Angib
4th Gear
I wish the car would remember when you have the fog lights on after a restart. Just about every other vehicle I've had if the lights are set to on, they come on every time the car is started.
In Europe rear fogs must 'cancel' when the ignition is switched off - so that all those peoplem who switched on their rear fogs to drive home yesterday don't still have them on this morning because they forgot to turn them off. Many manufacturers make front fogs work the same way for the same reason.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:39 PM
silus
1st Gear
Terry,

Thanks for the great info!

Old 05-27-2014, 08:50 PM
tigerhonaker
4th Gear
Terry,

Thanks for the great info!
I was not exactly sure what you wanted to see so glad I provided you with what you wanted.

Terry

Old 05-28-2014, 04:31 AM
CobraBob
5th Gear
Mine is equipped like Terry's. I like the front fog lights because they add even more light to the superior light provided by my LED headlights. I haven't used the rear fog lights yet, though. I mainly bought them for my MINI to be better seen by those behind me in fog and heavy rain.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:27 AM
papawhiskey
4th Gear
Well I have the LED's and therefore the LED fog lights. And there's also running lights that are always one...the fog light lamp is split into two lights, the fog light and the running light. I was a little bit confused about this at first because I thought my car had the fog's on all the time. It turned out to just be running lights and there was even more light to be had with the fogs on. But the fogs always need to be turned on after the car has been shut down.
I'm still a bit confused by this myself. I see the front "fog" lights are in a vertically split housing. Now the upper ones come on with the switch in the first manual position clockwise from "off" and light the upper element. You say these are the running lights? I've never had the bottoms go on but I know I have the LED fogs along with my LED headlights so I'll have to try that switch tonight.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:24 AM
TouchUpDirect
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by papawhiskey
I'm still a bit confused by this myself. I see the front "fog" lights are in a vertically split housing. Now the upper ones come on with the switch in the first manual position clockwise from "off" and light the upper element. You say these are the running lights? I've never had the bottoms go on but I know I have the LED fogs along with my LED headlights so I'll have to try that switch tonight.
Yes, that's correct. Press the switch a couple times at night and you'll see the difference in light.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:31 AM
papawhiskey
4th Gear
Yes, that's correct. Press the switch a couple times at night and you'll see the difference in light.
Last question: Given that the driving lights are wired so they can only be on when the high beams are on - is there a similar situation with the fogs eg. does something else have to be on for them to function?

Old 05-28-2014, 09:54 AM
JohnBLZ
5th Gear
Originally Posted by papawhiskey
Last question: Given that the driving lights are wired so they can only be on when the high beams are on - is there a similar situation with the fogs eg. does something else have to be on for them to function?
Just the parking lights/middle switch setting. I use them frequently that way when its dusk/dawn outside.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:18 PM
shraz
3rd Gear
It's actually nice they put the housing on even if you didn't purchase them. It looks much better than the cover piece.

Old 05-30-2014, 04:54 PM
lsmith42
2nd Gear
Useless trivia #234... I do not have the fog light option on my F56 MC, but I just crawled under there and not only does the rear fog have a bulb in it, it's wired to somewhere...

Old 07-04-2014, 10:26 PM
sal1k
4th Gear
Originally Posted by lsmith42
Useless trivia #234... I do not have the fog light option on my F56 MC, but I just crawled under there and not only does the rear fog have a bulb in it, it's wired to somewhere...
I just noticed this earlier tonight after a short drive as I was inspecting the car. I wonder if it could be wired up to a switch through my local service (obviously for a charge)

Quick Reply: F55/F56 Can someone explain the front/rear foglight "option"?