F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 F56 Justa seat belts tangling up

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 04:55 PM
mini-bear
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F56 Justa seat belts tangling up

It's no fun when my wife, a newly minted (580 miles ago) 2014 Justa owner begins a phone call with "I hate that damn car". Four times in the last three weeks I've had to dig around in both the driver and passenger seat belt assemblies with a coathanger to coax the blasted seatbelt to fully retract. It looks like the pivot design (above the shoulder of the passenger or driver) allows the belt to get twisted going through the swiveling plastic thingie leading into the seatbelt storage area. When that happens, the seatbelt gets totally stuck in the assembly and it takes an act of god to free it up. I just had the pleasure of driving her car 20 miles to the dealership with a driver's seatbelt that was fully extended with about three feet of slack in the belt. First time I've driven without a seatbelt in 40 years. I could see it happening once or twice, but four times, evenly divided between driver and passenger sides? Sounds more like a design issue than something being fubar. We both hold the belt when releasing the seat belts and don't just let it flop back into place. According to our tech, the F56 has a new seat belt design.

Has anybody else seen this on F56's?

Last edited by mini-bear; 06-02-2014 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:35 PM
MT Motorin
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow - that doesn't sound good. I had just been thinking about getting the set of two MINI Seat Belt Holders (part #52302208036) that attach to the headrest posts because I have a relatively short torso and seat belts tend to cut across my neck, and because I hate having to do an acrobatic contortion act to reach my seatbelt.

Has anyone tried these seat belt holders? Do you think they would mitigate Mini-Bear's twisting and disappearing seat belt situation?

Originally Posted by mini-bear
It's no fun when my wife, a newly minted (580 miles ago) 2014 Justa owner begins a phone call with "I hate that damn car". Four times in the last three weeks I've had to dig around in both the driver and passenger seat belt assemblies with a coathanger to coax the blasted seatbelt to fully retract. It looks like the pivot design (above the shoulder of the passenger or driver) allows the belt to get twisted going through the swiveling plastic thingie leading into the seatbelt storage area. When that happens, the seatbelt gets totally stuck in the assembly and it takes an act of god to free it up. I just had the pleasure of driving her car 20 miles to the dealership with a driver's seatbelt that was fully extended with about three feet of slack in the belt. First time I've driven without a seatbelt in 40 years. I could see it happening once or twice, but four times, evenly divided between driver and passenger sides? Sounds more like a design issue than something being fubar. We both hold the belt when releasing the seat belts and don't just let it flop back into place. According to our tech, the F56 has a new seat belt design.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:28 AM
emilyanny4u
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is really interesting, well more sad than anything. I have had my MCS 2014 for little over a month and have had no issues like this. I have had my mom complain about how far she had to reach back to get her seat belt but nothing like this. I hope they can fix the issue or something for you.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:47 AM
Patriot!
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MT Motorin
Wow - that doesn't sound good. I had just been thinking about getting the set of two MINI Seat Belt Holders (part #52302208036) that attach to the headrest posts because I have a relatively short torso and seat belts tend to cut across my neck, and because I hate having to do an acrobatic contortion act to reach my seatbelt.

Has anyone tried these seat belt holders? Do you think they would mitigate Mini-Bear's twisting and disappearing seat belt situation?
Originally Posted by emilyanny4u
This is really interesting, well more sad than anything. I have had my MCS 2014 for little over a month and have had no issues like this. I have had my mom complain about how far she had to reach back to get her seat belt but nothing like this. I hope they can fix the issue or something for you.

I haven't had the twisting problem. The sliced neck and pain in the shoulders from the belt being too far back and the buckle being too low are issues though.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:33 AM
steve1ddd
3rd Gear
in over 30 days this has happened to me once. It just got twisted in the holder though not in the "insides" too 10 seconds to fix. If the twist gets into the mechanics, I could see how that might be an issue though. I am very short and ride close to the wheel. I wonder if this has anything to do with how likely you are to get twisted up.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:48 AM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Can't say I've had this happen :(

Old 06-03-2014, 08:49 AM
jbewley
5th Gear
On the R-56, if you buckled the belt, then slide the plastic keeper all the way toward the buckle, it would keep the clip up high on the "B" pillar when you released it. Also, you can put the loop of the belt over the bolster on the seat back when you get out and it is handy when you get back in. Maybe that might also work on the F-56.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:42 PM
CobraBob
5th Gear
I haven't had any seatbelt issues with my '14 MINI-S. Hmmm.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:52 PM
mini-bear
2nd Gear
MINI of Plano is on the case. They're telling me that since it is a new model, they're emailing the engineers to get their take on the issue. Hope our three-week-old MINI gets out of the shop soon, but there are some mitigating factors. Such as driving a 2014 S loaner on their nickel.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:13 PM
IDNTFIT
3rd Gear
Had my F56 Justa for two weeks now, I just let my seat belt go after unbuckling it, no twisting or tangling to report yet...but now that I've read this, I'm going to be more careful!

Old 06-05-2014, 10:24 PM
MT Motorin
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We're taking delivery on our '14 MCS tomorrow. Based on comments below, we asked about the seat belt accessory that attaches to the posts of the headrest thinking this might control the belt from twisting and getting sucked into the retractor mechanism. Our MA asked the parts manager and they strongly advise against the seat belt accessory. Apparently, there have been cases where that part breaks and even a case where it allegedly caused an accident because it broke loose while moving. You know sales people; they love to sell things and when they and their parts people aren't trying to talk you into spending your money - it t'ain't worth it! Also, they said they have not had anyone bring up the issue (although the number of new Justa's and S' out there aren't many yet).

So, has anyone else had this problem? I'm wondering if the retractor mechanism(s) on that car are faulty and should be replaced under warranty? Would hate to see anyone get into an accident.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:46 PM
tuco44
3rd Gear
No problems yet but only had car since Monday. If the belt is guided back into the retractor, and not just let loose, can't see how the problem can develop? What am I missing here?

Old 07-31-2014, 07:44 PM
Heifzilla
2nd Gear
This has happened to me at least 4 times since I got my Mini last Monday, and it's a real pain in the ***.

The first time it took about 10 minutes of swearing to get it fixed, and the next three times it was only a few tugs, and not as much swearing. But it's really annoying that it happens at all.

I have NO idea what I could possibly be doing to have this happen. I unlock the belt and let it go, and it twists as it retracts. Maybe it happens to us shorter females since we can't contort our arms backwards as much to guide the lock back to the retractor? No idea.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:02 PM
sal1k
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MT Motorin
,,,I had just been thinking about getting the set of two MINI Seat Belt Holders (part #52302208036) that attach to the headrest posts because I have a relatively short torso and seat belts tend to cut across my neck...
I've been chewing on the idea of trying these out to see if they'd be more comfortable than the current seat belt position. I also feel like the seat belts cut across my neck. I either have to adjust the seatbelt, or my collar (if I'm wearing a collared shirt) to increase the comfort.

The other option if to buy one of those felt (or other material) seat belt covers (I don't know what they're called)... and slide it around the seat belt.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:22 AM
Patriot!
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by sal1k
I've been chewing on the idea of trying these out to see if they'd be more comfortable than the current seat belt position. I also feel like the seat belts cut across my neck. I either have to adjust the seatbelt, or my collar (if I'm wearing a collared shirt) to increase the comfort.

The other option if to buy one of those felt (or other material) seat belt covers (I don't know what they're called)... and slide it around the seat belt.
Yup! The seat beat in this car is a real pain in the neck. I have one of those sheepskin things, but find that's as annoying as the belt cutting my throat. Everything I've read about that BMW belt holder has been negative (it falls apart due to poor design). I have to keep my seat in as high a position as possible to help lower the belt (this also helps with the armrest shifting issue). It needs belt height adjustment like most cars. Maybe they figured a lot of Miata owners are switching over to Mini's and they're used of this.

As for the tangling belt... I've always taken my belt off and just let it go without issue.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:22 AM
sal1k
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Patriot!
Everything I've read about that BMW belt holder has been negative (it falls apart due to poor design).
Thanks for that note... I'll hold off on the purchase for now. Incidentally last night I jiggered up a cardboard thingy which sort of "maps out" where the BMW seat belt holder would be placed and I think it wouldn't help the throat slashing we're all trying to avoid, but it just might help the tangling.

Although I haven't had the tangling issue, my habit is to not let go of the seat belt outright. I give it some slack before letting it go. Too many times in my previous car I just let it go, and the seat belt would tangle or not get wound up tightly enough and block the door (Audi TT), and I developed this habit of gradually letting loose of the belt ensuring it does what it is supposed to do.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:08 AM
jeanstpierre
2nd Gear
don't buy the seat belt holders. I bought some a few years ago and they work well as long as they stay together but they don't stay together long and you have to keep putting them back together and this is more frustrating than having to reach back to grab the seat belt. very poor design. guess bmw designed these to pull apart rather than break but they pull apart too easily. tried using electrical tape to reinforce them but this didn't help.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:29 AM
Moflash1
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes,it happens when you just let go of the belt when exiting the car.It some how retracts folded in half and jams.I have had it happen more than once.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:51 PM
Miata13
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
[QUOTE=Patriot!;3969618} .....Maybe they figured a lot of Miata owners are switching over to Mini's and they're used of this. [/QUOTE]

Well...I don't yet have a MINI...but can certainly attest to the Miata comment above..am 5' 6" and am frustrated by the Miata seatbelt cutting across my neck...

Too bad it appears to be a similar issue with the new F56...

Old 08-04-2014, 12:18 PM
e46jb
4th Gear
In my experience with BMW and MINI the tangling of the seatbelt is mainly a result of the user not the car.

I have leased or owned 4 MINI's as well as over 8 BMW's with no issues at all. This is between myself and my wife (5'9 and 5'5 respectively)

Old 08-04-2014, 02:22 PM
tuco44
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by e46jb
In my experience with BMW and MINI the tangling of the seatbelt is mainly a result of the user not the car.

I have leased or owned 4 MINI's as well as over 8 BMW's with no issues at all. This is between myself and my wife (5'9 and 5'5 respectively)

I agree with you. I have had several recent BMWs and now the F56 MINI; and have experienced no problems with belts jamming or bunching up.

If you just undo it and let it go, I can see where it may cause a problem. That is no unique to MINI nor BMW, and many belts in other makes may do the same thing if you just let them go. To me, the simple solution is not to let the belt just fly and hope it will retract properly. Not too hard to learn, one might think.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:32 PM
Heifzilla
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by tuco44
Not too hard to learn, one might think.
Should I be insulted by this comment? Because it really came off as snotty.

Yanno, I don't feel like oh so carefully easing the belt back into the seatbelt slot each and every time I get out of the car. James, my trusty chauffeur, isn't always there to open my door for me and help me out of the car so I can make sure I have oh so carefully eased the oh so touchy, high maintenance belt into the slot and make sure it is seated *just so* and not twisted. I am usually too busy grabbing my purse, my Filo, my phone.

It's a seatbelt. It should be designed to be unbuckled, let go, and retract properly.

Shouldn't be too hard to design, one might think.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:54 AM
tippin
Neutral
Originally Posted by mini-bear

I've had this happen 3 times in the 3 weeks I've owned my Mini S. The last time I got so irritated I just took it to the dealer and made them untangle it, but that meant a 30 minute drive with no seat belt. At what point does this become a recall issue, or is there a permanent fix available yet?

Old 10-21-2014, 06:31 AM
George 2014
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by tippin
I've had this happen 3 times in the 3 weeks I've owned my Mini S. The last time I got so irritated I just took it to the dealer and made them untangle it, but that meant a 30 minute drive with no seat belt. At what point does this become a recall issue, or is there a permanent fix available yet?
Ha! Just saw this thread and thought it must be only me who is tangling these things. It has done this to me several times so far and usually, a sharp tug solves it but it got really folded over and I had to actually pop off the plastic trim piece over th swivel to free it.

Here is what I think: It's a user-created issue. My wife drives the Mini more than I do and has never had it happen to her at all. I suspect that there is some particular body mechanic that induces this. Some of us probably just happen do create this condition without thinking. I drive mostly an older 4Runner and have a habit of "whipping" the belt over my shoulder while un-buckling and suspect this muscle-memory motion creates the issue. At least in my case. What I have done is slowwwwed down on whipping out the seatbelt as I un-buckle. That gives it time to guide itself through the swivel. As long as I am paying attention and remember this, zero issues.

I would personally not take a car to the dealership for this. They won't know what to tell you except "Do it differently". Hope this helps.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:42 AM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Just a shot in the dark here. Would it help if you opened the door before you removed the seat belt?

Quick Reply: F55/F56 F56 Justa seat belts tangling up