F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Installed: CravenSpeed Phone Mount..(w/Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 10:35 AM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by sal1k
Did you have to disconnect the battery (I am not really a DIYer)? With a brand new car, I'm super nervous about tackling this, but it does look extremely good.
no...everything was done with the battery plugged in. i didn't turn on the car thought...everything was done while off. the only thing that happens when you do this is that the mpg, personal odometer, and date/time reset...but that's it.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:39 AM
David Cottrell
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you have to disconnect the battery?
I did it as well and the only thing you really need to worry about is dropping one of the 2 plugs or screws into the dash like I did. Good thing I have the hands of a fetus and could reach in through the bottom of the stack

Old 07-08-2014, 10:42 AM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
i bought this a few months ago so i used it cuz it was laying around:
Powerbot QI Charger Powerbot QI Charger

phase 2 of this project may replace it with this one (5mm thick, less than half of the powerbot):
Anker QI Charger Anker QI Charger

I may also consider removing the X-grips altogether and getting a magnetized QI charger (DIY all over the web) and the nexus 5 would just snap onto it via magnets.

the washers are your standard #8 washer from Home depot. the trick is that the X-grip of the cravenspeed (they call it the scissor XL) spins around the screw in the middle, so if you try to attach it to the x-grips, it makes opening it to place the phone inside rather annoying. so my goal was to attach it to JUST the screw in the middle. the screw sits a hair lower than the overall base so in order to allow it to spin freely w/out hitting the charger, i put the washer to give it a slight gap. i used Loctite super glue. 2 drops and that washer is NOT moving.

the back of the charger has a rubber base. i pulled that off so that it was as flat as possible. i also placed a large washer on the back of that so as to allow the metal to metal bonding and also create a gap between the base of the cravenspeed and the charger.

for now, i have 3m adhesive holding both washers together and it's doing a great job. the charger is smaller than the mount so that allows the x-grips to spin freely.

Installed Washer showing gap between X-Grips and soon-to-be Charger

Another angle

Powerbot attached.

Pressing on the X-Grips showing how the charger does not affect this movement

Side view. sagging a bit due to the 3m Adhesive. if this were superglue, it would be perfectly vertical.

View from underneath phone, showing cable going to charger.

close-up of phone showing charging indicator.

Last edited by MarcoPolo; 07-08-2014 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:43 AM
sal1k
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by David Cottrell
I did it as well and the only thing you really need to worry about is dropping one of the 2 plugs or screws into the dash like I did. Good thing I have the hands of a fetus and could reach in through the bottom of the stack
Originally Posted by MarcoPolo
no...everything was done with the battery plugged in. i didn't turn on the car thought...everything was done while off. the only thing that happens when you do this is that the mpg, personal odometer, and date/time reset...but that's it.
Thanks both of you for your answers, looks easy enough that even a neurotic buffoon like me can do it... I believe I'll be ordering one soon

Old 07-19-2014, 08:51 PM
kongjie
1st Gear
Just installed my craven speed phone holder. It looks awesome!

However...putting it back together I dropped one of the caps that go over the tach screws. No problem, found it in around 10 minutes with a flashlight.

Then in my eagerness I dropped it deep, deep into the recesses of the steering column. It's history.

Anyone know where I can pick up one of those caps?

Old 07-19-2014, 09:05 PM
angrybears
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by kongjie
Just installed my craven speed phone holder. It looks awesome!

However...putting it back together I dropped one of the caps that go over the tach screws. No problem, found it in around 10 minutes with a flashlight.

Then in my eagerness I dropped it deep, deep into the recesses of the steering column. It's history.

Anyone know where I can pick up one of those caps?
Did the same thing... gone baby gone...

Old 07-19-2014, 09:55 PM
sal1k
4th Gear
Originally Posted by angrybears
Did the same thing... gone baby gone...
Based on all these comments about dropping screws and caps into the dash... I am going to try and use a piece of paper wedged between the tach and the steering column in a U shape to hold anything that may come loose when I take the caps out and then the screws.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:17 PM
David Cottrell
3rd Gear
Based on all these comments about dropping screws and caps into the dash... I am going to try and use a piece of paper wedged between the tach and the steering column in a U shape to hold anything that may come loose when I take the caps out and then the screws.
Yeah. I would just grab a microfiber or something and jam it in the crevice. I dropped one in there while taking it out. Didn't want to loose a screw on the way back in

Old 07-20-2014, 01:38 PM
pjsjr13
4th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Thanks for sharing your pics and install. I'm holding out for Mini to come out with their click and drive. If not I'm going with the Cravenspeed

Old 08-04-2014, 05:29 PM
sal1k
4th Gear
Originally Posted by pjsjr13
Thanks for sharing your pics and install. I'm holding out for Mini to come out with their click and drive. If not I'm going with the Cravenspeed
Looks like MINI just came out with their click and drive ...

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ve-system.html

Much more expensive than the Cravenspeed mount, still unclear how the MINI one installs, though it seems to be more than just a mount (ie. iPhone app, USB / charging, etc) - I wonder if it is virtually plug and play, or would it need wiring, and someone handy to install it.

Old 08-06-2014, 05:37 PM
sal1k
4th Gear
Installed my mount...

So I installed my new Cravenspeed mount. I'll still be looking at what this Mini click&drive really is, but in the meantime, this'll do the trick...

I did run into some "issues" which others may not have.... so I'll document them here.

1. I couldn't seem to get 2 out of the three snap in cable harnesses off of the back of the tach assembly. The center one came off, the other two, well, I didn't want to force anything. Even pressing the tabs which should have released them wouldn't work. So I had to install my mount with the tach resting on top of my steering column

2. 1 rubber stopper did get loose in the steering column, but a pair of needle nose pliers helped fish it out

3. The supplied longer screws for the mount had a significantly tighter fit in the back of the tach. I certainly had to use much more force to get them in than to get the shorter ones out from the back of the dismounted tach.

The mount is a very well made and has heft to it. I recommend it to anyone, but please be aware you may have to improvise in getting it installed.

I had no use for the 12V outlet, so it is sitting in the original box.

Let's see what advantages, if any, MINI's click and drive has over this very functional and elegant product.

Last edited by sal1k; 08-06-2014 at 05:50 PM.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:58 PM
Danger Dan
3rd Gear
Just ordered one of these, looks like a great design. However I will be trying to remove the spring loaded end and attach a steelie magnet ball mount to it.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/nitei...xTVxoCm4vw_wcB

Old 08-07-2014, 04:21 PM
pjsjr13
4th Gear
does Craven Speed offer us any discounts?

Old 08-08-2014, 09:04 AM
George 2014
3rd Gear

1. I couldn't seem to get 2 out of the three snap in cable harnesses off of the back of the tach assembly. The center one came off, the other two, well, I didn't want to force anything. Even pressing the tabs which should have released them wouldn't work. So I had to install my mount with the tach resting on top of my steering column

3. The supplied longer screws for the mount had a significantly tighter fit in the back of the tach. I certainly had to use much more force to get them in than to get the shorter ones out from the back of the dismounted tach.
+1 for both above points. The big connector just would not disconnect for me. No biggie: There was enough slack inthe harness to just flip the tach around and complete the install this way.

Originally Posted by pjsjr13
does Craven Speed offer us any discounts?
I received a discount code when I registered with them as a new customer.

Old 08-08-2014, 03:25 PM
pjsjr13
4th Gear
Thanks George 2014

Old 02-09-2016, 09:35 AM
Dai Shan
Neutral
Sorry for the thread resurrection, but since this was the thread that convinced me to go with Cravenspeed mount, I thought i post my thank you here.

Also, Thank you MarcoPolo for the Qi inspiration. Instead of the scissor mount though, I bought the garmin ball mount. Then I command stripped the Nexus wireless charger (the square one with built in magnets) to a small 17mm ball adapter of Amazon.

Since the pictures, Cravenspeed has hooked me up with Femur arm. Now, the charger stands more to the right and I've been able the hide the wiring better, making for a cleaner look.

I love the results. It's going to be a sad day when my N5 bites the dust.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:35 PM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
NICE..good job...i was rocking the qi charger for a bit...but then...the N5 bit the dust. have the 5x running on Fi and well...the 5x nixxed wireless charging...so i'm back to running a cable...grrr...it was great while it lasted though.

how strong is the magnet in that charger? i have a note3 that i use for my monitoring and it's currently mounted on a magnetic car mount. that wireless charging could in handy for the note.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:04 AM
Dai Shan
Neutral
the magnets are pretty strong. It can hold a Nexus 7 vertical, although I haven't tried driving with that (yet). It's pretty rock solid* holding the N5 through all kinds of bumps and crappy roads.

*of course the first time I showed the completed mount to my wife, the phone totally slid off. Needless to say, she wasn't impressed, even though it's been the one and only time it's done this.