F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Tinted Windows on the F56. How dark to go?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014 | 03:29 AM
CobraBob
5th Gear
Originally Posted by J_L
Cobra- are you seeing the blue reflections that I'm complaining about? Not really seeing it in your pics, though might be because your glass is reflecting dark trees and stuff.

Rocket- It's now been 10 days (very hot days at that), and the blue is still there. Sounds like some cars just have a reaction. I had read about it on a Tesla forum, but forgot to have them test it out for me... duh.
No, I have absolutely no blue reflections at all. Actually no color reflections. I'm very pleased.

Old 08-30-2014 | 08:34 AM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Macro, how did they deal with the stickers on your windshield? We plan to get Suntech 80% on the windshield but Crystalline 40% on the sides and back.
the BS stickers they removed and threw away. i don't care for those. the inspection/registration sticker they did a pretty damn good job peeling it off and basically covered it in tape to make it sturdy and must have used some light sticky tape to place it back onto the corner of the car. the other option was to cut out a square for where the registration/inspection would be but i did not want that.

when i get to my car again i'll see how taking a close-up shot of that area.

Old 08-30-2014 | 03:21 PM
Rocket_man
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MarcoPolo
the BS stickers they removed and threw away. i don't care for those. the inspection/registration sticker they did a pretty damn good job peeling it off and basically covered it in tape to make it sturdy and must have used some light sticky tape to place it back onto the corner of the car. the other option was to cut out a square for where the registration/inspection would be but i did not want that.

when i get to my car again i'll see how taking a close-up shot of that area.
Thanks, so when you get the car inspected how does the inspection place apply the new sticker? I was under the impression that it had to be stuck on the windshield. The registration sticker as well. Otherwise they are too easy to remove. If it is 'legal' to adhere them with tape I'd be all over that!

Old 08-30-2014 | 03:24 PM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Thanks, so when you get the car inspected how does the inspection place apply the new sticker? I was under the impression that it had to be stuck on the windshield. The registration sticker as well. Otherwise they are too easy to remove. If it is 'legal' to adhere them with tape I'd be all over that!
when i go to the inspection station, i'll tell them right off the bat that i am attaching it myself using my own method. if they dont' agree, then i'll have to find another inspection station. it MAY be tough....but someone will give in. i mean, this is NYC...someone will give in. i will let you know when i get to that point.

Marco

Old 08-30-2014 | 03:48 PM
Rocket_man
3rd Gear
Sticker Shield

Marco, I found this cool product...

http://www.stickershield.com/home.html

May be available at O'Reilly Auto....

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/br...+Shield&mc=SSH

http://kk.org/cooltools/archives/2853

Old 08-30-2014 | 03:50 PM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
talk about perfect timing. i've been leaving my EZPass in my door pocket because i didn't want to give into permanently placing it on my windshield.

thanks!

Old 08-30-2014 | 04:05 PM
Rocket_man
3rd Gear
talk about perfect timing. i've been leaving my EZPass in my door pocket because i didn't want to give into permanently placing it on my windshield.

thanks!
Here is a YouTube video...

I have an EZPass too but it says it is required to be in direct contact with the windshield to work properly. But this looks like a cool product. Apparently Ace hardware no longer carries it, but maybe a local autoparts store. I might order a pack and test it out.

Old 08-30-2014 | 04:10 PM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
I have an EZPass too but it says it is required to be in direct contact with the windshield to work properly.
eh...i dunno....the EZPass uses velcro adhesive on both ends to attach to the windshield, so it really never connects to the windshield but sits about 1/4-1/2" away from it. i dont' see the windshield acting as an amplifier. ive held my ezpass in the air when driving through and it took and i even purposely placed it behind the dot matrix portion in the top-center and it also took.

Old 08-30-2014 | 04:19 PM
Rocket_man
3rd Gear
eh...i dunno....the EZPass uses velcro adhesive on both ends to attach to the windshield, so it really never connects to the windshield but sits about 1/4-1/2" away from it. i dont' see the windshield acting as an amplifier. ive held my ezpass in the air when driving through and it took and i even purposely placed it behind the dot matrix portion in the top-center and it also took.
Mine is different, it is a thin plastic sticker with a tiny chip in the center. It supposedly uses the windshield as an antenna. It is actually called 'TxTag'

Yours must be that box looking thing. The TxTag looks more like a decal.

Old 08-30-2014 | 05:04 PM
JimVL
1st Gear
I bought this for my EZ Pass http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005HF3BWW

Old 08-30-2014 | 06:25 PM
seabrooktx
2nd Gear
Mine is different, it is a thin plastic sticker with a tiny chip in the center. It supposedly uses the windshield as an antenna. It is actually called 'TxTag'

Yours must be that box looking thing. The TxTag looks more like a decal.
Rocket_man, next year TX will only have one sticker. The reg and insp will be combined as one. So, whatever you do on your windshield, you will only have one. You'll still have the EZtag, but it stays on for the life of the car. I placed mine just below the mount for the rear view mirror. You can not really see it from the driving position.

Old 08-30-2014 | 07:41 PM
Rocket_man
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by seabrooktx
Rocket_man, next year TX will only have one sticker. The reg and insp will be combined as one. So, whatever you do on your windshield, you will only have one. You'll still have the EZtag, but it stays on for the life of the car. I placed mine just below the mount for the rear view mirror. You can not really see it from the driving position.
Thanks for letting me know about this. I just read up on it and I'll be glad to get that sticker off the car. I guess I need to figure out then how to mount the stickers without cutting the windshield tint.

BTW I went to O-Reilly Auto and they never heard of the Sticker Shield.

Old 09-04-2014 | 10:12 PM
J_L
5th Gear
Overcast this morning... I think all the IR light bouncing around becomes more obvious in these conditions- it's not overpowered by the sun itself. See pics. Kinda sad about it =(

Tinted Windows on the F56. How dark to go?-photo-1a.jpg

Tinted Windows on the F56. How dark to go?-photo-2a.jpg

Old 09-05-2014 | 06:01 AM
CobraBob
5th Gear
I see what you mean about the bluish tint. It helps that you have white paint. I've seen cars with bluish tint and never have given it a thought. I think you're fine.