F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Tinted Windows on the F56. How dark to go?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014 | 11:49 PM
Acrofilo
|
2nd Gear
Tinted Windows on the F56. How dark to go?

My city allows for tinting as dark as 35% (remember that the lower the percentage, the darker) but my question is if the windows on the MCS already have some tinting on them. If so, what percentage?

If they already come from the fabric at 90% or anything lower than 100%, then installing 35% would turn them too dark (and illegal). I read somewhere that they are 70% out of the fabric, is that true?

I'm talking about the regular non spec'd windows. Anybody can advice?

Old 06-29-2014 | 03:19 AM
DeepBonnet
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Acrofilo
My city allows for tinting as dark as 35% (remember that the lower the percentage, the darker) but my question is if the windows on the MCS already have some tinting on them. If so, what percentage? If they already come from the fabric at 90% or anything lower than 100%, then installing 35% would turn them too dark (and illegal). I read somewhere that they are 70% out of the fabric, is that true? I'm talking about the regular non spec'd windows. Anybody can advice?
You can read on the lower right of the window where it has the "MINI" symbol that from the factory they are 70%. Which is basically not tinted at all. If your state is 35%, go with that all around. My state is 35 and I went with 30 on the five side and back windows. I'm not concerned about the 5% difference. And cops here won't mess with it unless they're obviously a lot darker.

Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring

Old 06-29-2014 | 04:36 AM
CobraBob
5th Gear
Connecticut allows for 35% tint (with 3% tolerance) on the sides (front and rear) and any tint % on the rear glass. Same with the sunroof. I'm leaning towards 3M Crystaline film or Huper Optik. I still have questions as to whether it is worth spending $599.00 (quote from two area installers) for the 3M Crystaline, especially since the windshield will still allow heat to enter the interior. Here is a link to an Audi forum discussion that has been VERY informative and helpful. Read through all of the comments. And there's a YouTube video towards the bottom comparing the 3m Crystaline and Huber Optik. http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-the-way-to-go

Old 06-29-2014 | 07:05 AM
tuco44
3rd Gear
I went 35% on three windows back of driver's seat, and 5% on the two sunroofs. Did not tint the fronts at all.

Old 06-29-2014 | 08:39 AM
QBear
3rd Gear
Thirty-five per cent is the maximum in my state, so that's what I had done on all windows.

I was glad I didn't try to fudge that a little darker because, when I had the state inspection done (my F56S was purchased in an adjoining state), the inspector used a tool that measured the percentage of tint. That was a bit of a surprise to me as I had never seen that done.

Old 06-29-2014 | 11:02 AM
djpic
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by QBear
Thirty-five per cent is the maximum in my state, so that's what I had done on all windows.

I was glad I didn't try to fudge that a little darker because, when I had the state inspection done (my F56S was purchased in an adjoining state), the inspector used a tool that measured the percentage of tint. That was a bit of a surprise to me as I had never seen that done.
In Florida, some state troopers have this tool and they will check, even if you are stopped in traffic.

Old 06-29-2014 | 11:41 AM
Acrofilo
|
2nd Gear
Thanks for all your insight. I guess 35 is the way to go.

Is it worth it to put transparent film onthe windshield and sunroof to protect from UV?

Old 06-29-2014 | 12:30 PM
fxdavis
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by QBear

I've got an appointment to get tint done in a few weeks. Here in NC, not only do they check the tint during the yearly inspection, the inspection itself costs more. This is what the NC DOT website says...

"There is an additional charge to check a vehicle with tinted windows. All windows with applications of after‐factory window tinting must be checked during the safety inspection.

Windows may not be any darker than 35% visible light transmission. This standard is considered to be met if the window tint is no lower than 32% visible light transmission when measured by the station with a photometer.
"

Old 06-29-2014 | 02:56 PM
becky1711
4th Gear
Originally Posted by fxdavis
I've got an appointment to get tint done in a few weeks. Here in NC, not only do they check the tint during the yearly inspection, the inspection itself costs more. This is what the NC DOT website says...

"There is an additional charge to check a vehicle with tinted windows. All windows with applications of after‐factory window tinting must be checked during the safety inspection.

Windows may not be any darker than 35% visible light transmission. This standard is considered to be met if the window tint is no lower than 32% visible light transmission when measured by the station with a photometer.
"
My son has NC legal (35%) and on his first inspection he was charged the extra $10 fee and told it was too dark but passed. He left it the way it was because he bought 35% and wasn't going to have it pulled off. 2nd year inspection, passed. 3rd year inspection, wasn't even checked (which he knows by not being charged the $10).

Fx - if you don't mind my asking, where are you having it done. You can pm me if this is inappropriate for forum. (I'm new to forum ediquette )

Old 06-29-2014 | 05:05 PM
Acrofilo
|
2nd Gear
In Mexico City the law only says "it shouldn't be so dark that the inside cannot be seen at all". No photometers, no taxes, no anything. There had to be something good about living in the third world

Old 06-29-2014 | 05:05 PM
Acrofilo
|
2nd Gear
Another question, aren't 35% tinted windows too dark to look from the inside to the outside?

Old 06-29-2014 | 06:37 PM
seabrooktx
2nd Gear
I was going to an installer to have FormulaOne Pinnacle (ceramic) done. I wanted 35 on the windows and 15 on the sunroof. Texas is legal at 25 on the front windows and whatever you want elsewhere. They said they had 30 available, so I got 30 on the windows and 15 on the sunroof. I don't think it is too dark on either. I did not want it too dark on the sunroof, as I still wanted some light. It does block 99.5% of the UV. Only had it for a few days, so can't comment further, other to say I like it.

Old 06-29-2014 | 07:10 PM
Acrofilo
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by seabrooktx
I was going to an installer to have FormulaOne Pinnacle (ceramic) done. I wanted 35 on the windows and 15 on the sunroof. Texas is legal at 25 on the front windows and whatever you want elsewhere. They said they had 30 available, so I got 30 on the windows and 15 on the sunroof. I don't think it is too dark on either. I did not want it too dark on the sunroof, as I still wanted some light. It does block 99.5% of the UV. Only had it for a few days, so can't comment further, other to say I like it.
What about the windshield? Don't you worry about the UV damaging the interior from there? Transparent protection would be useful here. Has anyone done this? What do y'all think?

Old 06-29-2014 | 07:18 PM
seabrooktx
2nd Gear
What about the windshield? Don't you worry about the UV damaging the interior from there? Transparent protection would be useful here. Has anyone done this? What do y'all think?

I did not do the windshield. I saw where others had something done there. I have owned several cars for 8-12+ years. Most people don't own cars that long. I can't say that there is real sun damage from the front windshield. I doubt that anyone will notice it. I think it is more a comfort issue from visual on your eyes and temperature. I would be more worried about any visual distortion on the windshield. It would be more of an issue than the side windows.

Old 06-29-2014 | 08:15 PM
Acrofilo
|
2nd Gear
I did not do the windshield. I saw where others had something done there. I have owned several cars for 8-12+ years. Most people don't own cars that long. I can't say that there is real sun damage from the front windshield. I doubt that anyone will notice it. I think it is more a comfort issue from visual on your eyes and temperature. I would be more worried about any visual distortion on the windshield. It would be more of an issue than the side windows.
I agree. I also worry about some posibke visual distortion. Particularly when wearing my prescription sunglasses, which for some reason tend have me perceive weird shades on polarized windows.

Can anyone advice on this issue based on own experience?

Old 07-01-2014 | 08:49 AM
CobraBob
5th Gear
I'm undecided as to watch type and percentage I'm going to go with. I am not doing anything with the windshield. I'm leaning towards 50% for the front side windows and 35% for the other windows and sunroof (3M Color Stable). Or 70% for the front side windows and 40% for the other windows and sunroof (3M Crystalline). I want to keep the front windows lighter than the rears for better outward visibility at night.

Old 07-01-2014 | 10:46 PM
Rocket_man
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by CobraBob
Connecticut allows for 35% tint (with 3% tolerance) on the sides (front and rear) and any tint % on the rear glass. Same with the sunroof. I'm leaning towards 3M Crystaline film or Huper Optik. I still have questions as to whether it is worth spending $599.00 (quote from two area installers) for the 3M Crystaline, especially since the windshield will still allow heat to enter the interior. Here is a link to an Audi forum discussion that has been VERY informative and helpful. Read through all of the comments. And there's a YouTube video towards the bottom comparing the 3m Crystaline and Huber Optik. http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-the-way-to-go

We are going with 3M Crystalline 40 on the 5 windows and 90 on the windshield. I have a quote for $600 for the entire job. The 40 allows a little better visibility but still great heat performance. I've had HO Ceramic on my car for 8 years and it has been very solid. Excellent brand.

BTW that youtube clip where the guy rips the tape off the supposed 3m Crystalline tint it bogus. He obviously sells HO and not 3M. The 3M tint is not even close to that color.

Thanks for all your insight. I guess 35 is the way to go.

Is it worth it to put transparent film onthe windshield and sunroof to protect from UV?
I've had Air Blue 80 on my windshield for a few years now. Distortion is not a problem at all. I can hardly tell it is there unless I look in the lower corner where the inspection sticker is (the tint is cut out there). No one who gets in the car even realizes it is there. For me it does cut down a little on heat but I really like that it knocks down glare from on coming headlights and 'sun flashes' off of other cars that can sometimes trigger a migraine. I wish I had done this earlier. I've been through 2 car inspections and no issues. We're getting 3M Crystalline 90 on the Mini. It is even more clear than the Air Blue 80. The biggest maintenance issue it cleaning it and making sure you don't scratch it. Somehow I put a 1" scratch right in my sight line. Drives me crazy.

Last edited by Rocket_man; 07-01-2014 at 11:11 PM.
Old 07-04-2014 | 09:57 AM
seabrooktx
2nd Gear
Just made a road trip after getting my windows tinted last week. Drove 360 miles on I-10 thru Texas and Louisiana. 90 deg temperatures, full sun. I have the Pinnacle 30 on the windows and 15 on the sunroof. It felt very comfortable in the car. A/C was not running full out at all. Opened the shade on the sunroof, it was a little warm but not bad at all. It did not feel at all like heat was rolling off the sunroof. The amount of tint was just fine.

Old 07-08-2014 | 09:44 AM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
bring this thread back to life for a bit. have an appointment scheduled here in Queens, NY with Long Island Paint Protection (they relocated to flushing). i was given the choice of either Suntek Ceramic or 3M crystalline. the installer did not recommend crystalline as he felt it was not worth the additional cost over suntek ceramic. i would tend to agree with that.
all around i am undecided at either 35% or 50% ceramic.
front windshield i'll be doing 70% ceramic.
anyone have any feedback on doing something similar to what i am going to do?

Old 07-08-2014 | 10:58 AM
sacandagadano
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MarcoPolo
bring this thread back to life for a bit. have an appointment scheduled here in Queens, NY with Long Island Paint Protection (they relocated to flushing). i was given the choice of either Suntek Ceramic or 3M crystalline. the installer did not recommend crystalline as he felt it was not worth the additional cost over suntek ceramic. i would tend to agree with that.
all around i am undecided at either 35% or 50% ceramic.
front windshield i'll be doing 70% ceramic.
anyone have any feedback on doing something similar to what i am going to do?
I had my 06 Saab sportcombi(wagon)done with Suntek ceramic,35 front 25 rear sides/rear window. That car has tan leather.I am very happy with it/no scratches,fading etc. Our MCS is getting done Tuesday.Same film, 35 all the way around.With the darker interior and anthracite headliner I think 35 will be fine.Quoted $200.I never had windshields done,let us know how that comes out.

Old 07-08-2014 | 12:03 PM
Sailorlite
3rd Gear
'dano - If possible, please post a pic or two showing how dark the 35 looks. Does it look blacked out or not (in daylight)? Thanks.

Old 07-08-2014 | 02:37 PM
seabrooktx
2nd Gear
The 30 that I had done does not look "blacked out".

Old 07-08-2014 | 02:42 PM
bluvw69
3rd Gear
Just got 35% done today on all windows (nothing on windshield). The look is not "blacked out" but a subtle darkening all the way around. With the black interior and anthracite headliner, it looks darker than it actually is and I love it.

Name:  2014-07-081503321_zps637ef986.jpg
Views: 978
Size:  80.0 KB

Old 07-08-2014 | 02:53 PM
sacandagadano
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Sailorlite
'dano - If possible, please post a pic or two showing how dark the 35 looks. Does it look blacked out or not (in daylight)? Thanks.
Well i am embarassed to say my wife or i cant seem to post pics.WE still dont know how we got that pic in my signature.That being said i can assure you 35% is nowhere near being blacked out.You can still see in and night visibility out is fine.Tint laws in N.Y. are 70% on front windows,which you might as well not bother.I have never been pulled over in the saab.A guy at work is running 25% all around in a lowered Jetta and always getting hassled.Your tint guy should be able to show you what different %look like.

Old 07-08-2014 | 03:00 PM
sacandagadano
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by bluvw69
Just got 35% done today on all windows (nothing on windshield). The look is not "blacked out" but a subtle darkening all the way around. With the black interior and anthracite headliner, it looks darker than it actually is and I love it.

Your car looks great, i think 35% is perfect is perfect for our coopers.

Quick Reply: F55/F56 Tinted Windows on the F56. How dark to go?