F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Clear Window Tinting

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 05:14 AM
wtwien
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Clear Window Tinting

I have never tinting a car before and I see that there is Clear Tinting now. I am looking for Heat Reduction mainly. I also have a Sunroof. Do I go with 3M Crystalline 70 or 90 or Llumar Air 80 or is some other brand or degree. And what price should it cost to have install]Please educate me; this is all new to me. Any links and advise would help.

Last edited by wtwien; 07-06-2014 at 05:17 AM. Reason: Easier to read
Old 07-06-2014, 06:14 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I had 3M Crystalline 90 installed on the windshield of my '13 JCW Hardtop two days after delivery so just shy of one year now.

Noticeable difference in the cabin temperature. On a typical summer day, I'd say it reduces the temp by a good 15 to 20 degrees. Not to mention the protection it provides my dash and interior from the UV rays.

Now... I do not have a sunroof. So you will not get the same temp-reduction results I've experienced. But you should see a difference.

Only drawback for placing it on the windshield: Some objects appear greenish or reddish as I pass them and they are at my 2:00 and 10:00 fields of vision. Only slightly annoying. An FYI in case you think about getting it on your windshield too.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:01 AM
sal1k
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got my car tinted yesterday, also using 3M Crystalline. 30% for the front windows, 70% for the rear and hatch, and 5% for the moon roofs. There's an immediate and palpable difference in cabin heat, I felt it immediately on the ride home.

Check your state laws about what windows and how much you can tint. Here in CA, the windshield and front windows can't be tinted. I've heard variations of things like zero to a percentage. I took the safe route and didn't tint the windshield, but went for a "safe" 70% for the fronts.

I'm really happy with how it turned out. Tinting a black car really does make it look even better!!

Old 07-06-2014, 08:09 AM
Conrad_Thomaier
3rd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I found this source that summarizes tint laws by state:

http://tintlaws.com/

Old 07-06-2014, 08:28 AM
sal1k
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Conrad_Thomaier
I found this source that summarizes tint laws by state:

http://tintlaws.com/
I've gotten different answers from different people about the front windows here in CA. Below is the California Highway Patrol site (see the second question)

http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html

Old 07-06-2014, 02:47 PM
Rocket_man
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sal1k
I just got my car tinted yesterday, also using 3M Crystalline. 30% for the front windows, 70% for the rear and hatch, and 5% for the moon roofs. There's an immediate and palpable difference in cabin heat, I felt it immediately on the ride home.

Check your state laws about what windows and how much you can tint. Here in CA, the windshield and front windows can't be tinted. I've heard variations of things like zero to a percentage. I took the safe route and didn't tint the windshield, but went for a "safe" 70% for the fronts.

I'm really happy with how it turned out. Tinting a black car really does make it look even better!!
3M Crystalline only comes in 40, 50, 60, 70, and 90 VLT. You must have gotten a different product installed. Or did you mean 70% in front and something else in the back and the sunroof?

Old 07-06-2014, 03:08 PM
aafflyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sal1k
I've gotten different answers from different people about the front windows here in CA. Below is the California Highway Patrol site (see the second question)

http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html
Having gotten a fix-it CA ticket for tint on my 2009 MCS driver and passenger door window (about four years after having it tinted), no after market tint is allowed unless you can get a written doctors "prescription" (don't remember the term) as to the medical reason why you need tint.

I had to pay a $25 fine and get it signed off by a law official. Some individuals immediately re-tint, but fines go up for each re-ticket.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the F56. I think I'll start with no tint and see how it goes. I've already spent more than planned on this car loading it up with those darn options

Old 07-06-2014, 03:11 PM
sal1k
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
3M Crystalline only comes in 40, 50, 60, 70, and 90 VLT. You must have gotten a different product installed. Or did you mean 70% in front and something else in the back and the sunroof?
You're correct, I got the numbers mixed up!!

Old 07-07-2014, 02:48 AM
CobraBob
5th Gear
I think the "clear" tint (3M Crystaline) is a smart idea if you're in a hot climate. I want to do tint but haven't made an appointment yet. I hate to spend $599. to tint my sides, rear and sun-roof, especially when the interior cools down so quickly when I crack the sun-roof and put the A/C on. But a big side benefit to tinting the sides is the darker appearance. The factory tint, especially on the rear sides and rear window is too light. I've got to make a decision this week to do it or not do it. If I do, I won't tint the windshield for reasons stated in other tint threads. Distortion of colors at certain angles and the need to be very careful not to scratch the film when cleaning.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:25 AM
J_L
5th Gear
Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
Aside from the question of doing clear tint on windshield, is 3M Crystaline *the* tint to get? Is it the best in general for keeping out UV and heat? Sounds like it's quite a bit more money- is there that big a difference in results?

Old 07-07-2014, 10:04 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
I had not tint on my 2007 and now have tint on my 2014 Coupe (and no sunroof). Not sure what it is because it came on the car (sides and back). It's great and I don't live in the desert either. I'd not clear tint my windshield because I don't want the view distorted and it will pick up rock dings eventually for sure which will be obvious at night.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:26 PM
sal1k
4th Gear
Originally Posted by J_L
Aside from the question of doing clear tint on windshield, is 3M Crystaline *the* tint to get? Is it the best in general for keeping out UV and heat? Sounds like it's quite a bit more money- is there that big a difference in results?
I knew / know nothing about window tinting, but spoke with a friend who belongs to the local MINI enthusiasts group and checked out the local YELP reviews for tinters, and it seemed that all the best ones around my area use 3M Crystalline.

FWIW, this could very well be a coincidence, but I'm happy with it. I'm sure there are other tints just as good or better, but it seemed like I couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a 3M installer around these parts.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:44 PM
red bread
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
I had not tint on my 2007 and now have tint on my 2014 Coupe (and no sunroof). Not sure what it is because it came on the car (sides and back). It's great and I don't live in the desert either. I'd not clear tint my windshield because I don't want the view distorted and it will pick up rock dings eventually for sure which will be obvious at night.
Not sure what you mean about rock chips as the tint goes on the inside and all windshields have a small amount of tint anyway, so color distortion isn't an issue unless it's just a cheap product.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:36 PM
CobraBob
5th Gear
I was wondering about the rock chips statement, too. The tint is installed on the inside of the windshield.

As far as which tint brand is superior, there are a few excellent brands/materials but 3M is pretty much what all of the shops here use. Crystalline is the most expensive due to it properties. If you want to keep heat out, Crystalline would be your choice. In the end you'll be happy you paid a bit more. The only downside of not tinting your windshield (even with the minimal Crystalline film) is that heat will be blocked on the sides, rear and top but not on the windshield. If you choose to not tint the windshield, you should consider a folding windshield sunshade. Not sure if MINI has one out yet for the F56 hardtop.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:53 PM
wtwien
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Any opinions or has anyone have use Prestige Spectra PhotoSync. How does that compared to 3M Crystalline?