F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 DIY Phone Mount (iOttie Universal Mount)

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 03:18 PM
nlerias
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY Phone Mount (iOttie Universal Mount)

Hey guys! I'm brand new to this forum. Just purchased my F56 a week ago, MCS Midnight black. I have been absolutely loving this car. I went in last week to place my order and they almost had the exact model I wanted except for the Navi but it didn't justify me having to wait 6-8 weeks so I took it home a few hours later.

The only thing that was bothering me was the lack of navigation (mainly the traffic feature). I was really close to ordering the Cravenspeed or the Click N Drive mount for my phone to use the Waze app, but didn't like the price and read some reviews about some wobbling. I had an Ottiemount lying around and figured out a way to permanently mount it to my vent.

The iOttie is a really great suction cup mount, highest rated on Amazon. It's best feature is that you just press the phone onto the mount and it clicks in, one-handed operation. I took apart the mount and only used the parts until the round up/down adjustment. I drilled two small holes in the mount and the second slat on the vent, and secured it with simple machine screws, washers and nuts I had lying around. Obviously the big downside to this mini project is the fact that I had to drill into the vent but it came out so good it's definitely permanent.

I apologize I didn't take pictures while I was assembling the mount but you can get a really good idea of what I did just by the end result. Super simple, only took me about 10-15 minutes and the only cost was the mount ($19.95) plus hardware which is next to nothing. It came out perfect. It's very stable, doesn't obstruct ventilation and is in the perfect position. If I were to do it over I would use black hardware or paint them but you can't see them behind the mount anyway.

Hopefully this is helpful to someone out there that was looking for a good factory-looking phone mount like me.

Here's a link to the mount on amazon...
http://www.amazon.com/iOttie-HLCRIO102-Windshield-Dashboard-Universal/dp/B007FHX9OK/ref=pd_sim_cps_7?ie=UTF8&refRID=06PJDJRWQY67VF00833W http://www.amazon.com/iOttie-HLCRIO102-Windshield-Dashboard-Universal/dp/B007FHX9OK/ref=pd_sim_cps_7?ie=UTF8&refRID=06PJDJRWQY67VF00833W

Attached Thumbnails DIY Phone Mount (iOttie Universal Mount)-img_0611.jpg   DIY Phone Mount (iOttie Universal Mount)-img_0612.jpg   DIY Phone Mount (iOttie Universal Mount)-photo.jpg   DIY Phone Mount (iOttie Universal Mount)-img_0400.jpg   DIY Phone Mount (iOttie Universal Mount)-img_0578.jpg  

DIY Phone Mount (iOttie Universal Mount)-screen-shot-2014-08-15-at-6.13.02-pm.jpg  
Old 08-15-2014, 07:28 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 74 Posts
Phone mount?

Originally Posted by nlerias
Hey guys! I'm brand new to this forum. Justpurchased my F56 a week ago, MCS Midnight black. I have been absolutely loving this car. I went in last week to place my order and they almost had the exact model I wanted except for the Navi but it didn't justify me having to wait 6-8 weeks so I took it home a few hours later.

The only thing that was bothering me was the lack of navigation (mainly the traffic feature). I was really close to ordering the Cravenspeed or the Click N Drive mount for my phone to use the Waze app, but didn't like the price and read some reviews about some wobbling. I had an Ottiemount lying around and figured out a way to permanently mount it to my vent.

The iOttie is a really great suction cup mount, highest rated on Amazon. It's best feature is that you just press the phone onto the mount and it clicks in, one-handed operation. I took apart the mount and only used the parts until the round up/down adjustment. I drilled two small holes in the mount and the second slat on the vent, and secured it with simple machine screws, washers and nuts I had lying around. Obviously the big downside to this mini project is the fact that I had to drill into the vent but it came out so good it's definitely permanent.

I apologize I didn't take pictures while I was assembling the mount but you can get a really good idea of what I did just by the end result. Super simple, only took me about 10-15 minutes and the only cost was the mount ($19.95) plus hardware which is next to nothing. It came out perfect. It's very stable, doesn't obstruct ventilation and is in the perfect position. If I were to do it over I would use black hardware or paint them but you can't see them behind the mount anyway.

Hopefully this is helpful to someone out there that was looking for a good factory-looking phone mount like me.

Here's a link to the mount on amazon...
http://www.amazon.com/iOttie-HLCRIO1...RWQY67VF00833W
Living in Central California, I couldn't give up that air-cond. vent.

Old 08-16-2014, 10:23 AM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Nice job! How stable is it when punching addresses etc?

Old 08-17-2014, 07:41 AM
darex
5th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
I use an iOttie too, but I use it stock, attached via the suction cut to a flat surface, http://amzn.com/B007IVZX6K mounted in my right cup-holder. It's worked out great for me. Yes, it slightly blocks the right-most toggle (to manually lower the HUD), but the only time that's used is at the car wash. I had a similar unit in my old MC, but those cup-holders were too small to be useful anyhow. For me, giving up one cup holder to gain a stable, convenient iPhone holder, nearby the USB port, is a convenient (and neat!) solution. I have a manual transmission, and this does NOT interfere with the travel of the stick.