F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 My Review of the 2014 MINI Coupe S

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014 | 10:55 AM
davidtobin
|
2nd Gear
My Review of the 2014 MINI Coupe S

I've owned 4 2nd GEN MINIs -- a 2010 Clubman (wife's car) 2009 Clubman S, a 2011 CM S All4 (family car), and a 2012 Clubman S. I've also owned a few BMWS, including 2002 330cic, 2006 X5, and 1972 3.0cs. I love my Clubman especially that I've completed customizing it to my specifications but I had an opportunity to spend a couple of days with a 2014 Coupe and approached it prepared to trade my R55 LCI for a F56 - that is if it proved to be as improved as some of the reviewers claimed it to be. In sum the change from 1st Gen to 2nd Gen is comparable to this most recent evolution from Gen 2 to Gen 3 --It is technically updated but now two steps removed from the best-styled 1st Gen. Let's talk about looks first. The hood is flatter and longer (and abit wider) but the rear is fatter and not pretty solely to retain the bulldog look. the rear lights are too big and look like they were pasted on a clay model, not designed and integrated into an overall pleasing shape. THe front end has lost anything resembling a clean and simple (classic?) look. It's not cluttered with odd protrusions. The windshield now has ore rake but from the inside seems smaller. No doubt the 1st Gen is the prettiest of the 3, with flowing lines, delicate touches, integrated elements. The exterior of this latest version is none of those things. As for the interios I see no improvement in materials quality (some pieces are even chintsy and remind me of a plastic dashboard, steering wheel, windshield toy I had as a kid (with working wipers!), especially the gauge cluster in front of the driver. It's cheap and toy-like. The (auto) shift **** is uncomfortable for resting your palm and the steering wheel (like previous versions) is just too hard. When will the MINI engineers, who are so "driver-oriented" realize that the steering wheel is the critical point of contact between car and driver. It needs to be fatter and softer, period. There's nothing impressive about the interior when compared with previous generations. Now for the driving part. Keep in mind I am comparing this model S automatic (w/out shift paddles) and factory runflats to my LCI Clubman S with shift paddles and non runflats. Ride quality seems about the same. Handling about the same. Transmission geared very differently to help with gas mileage (which it does, averaging 4-5 MPG in Sport mode better than my 2012) but you pay a prie for that in fun. It doesn't rev as high and while it has more torque it doesn't FEEL as quick. The D mode and Green modes are useless (I might as well drive my wife's Tiguan). The auto-off option is weird and not a smooth transition (so much so that I kept it off). The first couple gear changes the transmission makes a funny sound I can't describe but to say its alien like (You wouldn't hear it if you had the radio on.). The exhaust note inside the cabin is nice and deep but that's probably the only detail of the newest generation that I found preferable over my 2012. Interested in hearing from other MINI owners. Let me know If I'm way out of line with any of these comments/observations. For those of potentially new to MINI and may be considering a 2014 drive a new (2013) or slightly used LCI MINI (2011+) coupe or Clubman and compare.

Old 10-02-2014 | 11:10 AM
Rajapruk
3rd Gear
I agree to a lot of what you are saying.
You missed commenting on the biggest and most fundamental improvement of the gen3, no torque steer, and the seats!

Old 10-02-2014 | 11:42 AM
Mosco
2nd Gear
So what car did you drive? You mention coupe many times and if so, that would explain why you didn't see much improvement. The coupe hasn't been upgraded to the new engines/interior so I wouldn't expect much change.

Old 10-02-2014 | 11:45 AM
Chazman
4th Gear
The 2014 MCS is my first MINI.

Looks/Styling - Acceptable.

Interior - Cheap, too much plasticky, can't believe it's an European car! But it's roomier than I thought it was gonna be.

Engine/Performance - Love it! Awesome torque band from way down low idle rpm all the way to the red line. And I'm still getting 36.7 MPG in my everyday Los Angeles commute.

Overall - Fun to drive, very acceptable MPG, good handling, respectalble power/torque (in Sport mode), looks way more unique than other typical econobox like Civic or Corolla. I sold my 2006 MB C230 V6 Sport and was originally considering a Miata as a replacement, but it was just not practical. I'm VERY happy with my 2014 MCS and will buy it again if I'm shopping for a new car.

Old 10-02-2014 | 11:46 AM
davidtobin
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Rajapruk
I agree to a lot of what you are saying.
You missed commenting on the biggest and most fundamental improvement of the gen3, no torque steer, and the seats!
I meant to mention the seats, which were very good and have the adjustable bolster I enjoyed on my BMWs. My LCI Clubman has minimal torque steer, so I really didn't notice the lack of it in the 2014.

Old 10-02-2014 | 11:46 AM
Nuke-em
3rd Gear
Previous MINI owners are bound to be more stubborn and biased than "conquest" buyers such as me. Say what you will about size, exterior styling, the "MINI-ness" of it all. I get it. I'll give MINI owners a lot of leeway in that regard.

That said, you must be completely off your trolley to think there is no improvement in the interior material quality. The R56 interior was a cheap, buzzy, Tonka-toy-esque place to be. The shift **** was the size of a small child's head, the leather on the steering wheel was worse than the Saturn I had in college, the switches felt as though they would break off, the ***** had the quality of of my Toastmaster and the whole interior creaked over bumps. The interior of the R56 was one of the biggest reasons I bought a GTI and A3 over the MINI. The F56, while not quite as good as the VW/Audi product, is VASTLY better than the R56. Don't even get me started on the R53...

You're entitled to your opinion and if the design is not your cup of tea, then fine. But c'mon...I mean...C'MON...

Old 10-02-2014 | 11:47 AM
davidtobin
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Mosco
So what car did you drive? You mention coupe many times and if so, that would explain why you didn't see much improvement. The coupe hasn't been upgraded to the new engines/interior so I wouldn't expect much change.
I drove the F56 which is considered the coupe and is the only new generation with upgraded styling and drivetrain.

Old 10-02-2014 | 11:52 AM
Mosco
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Nuke-em
That said, you must be completely off your trolley to think there is no improvement in the interior material quality. The R56 interior was a cheap, buzzy, Tonka-toy-esque place to be. The shift **** was the size of a small child's head, the leather on the steering wheel was worse than the Saturn I had in college, the switches felt as though they would break off, the ***** had the quality of of my Toastmaster and the whole interior creaked over bumps. The interior of the R56 was one of the biggest reasons I bought a GTI and A3 over the MINI. The F56, while not quite as good as the VW/Audi product, is VASTLY better than the R56. Don't even get me started on the R53...

You're entitled to your opinion and if the design is not your cup of tea, then fine. But c'mon...I mean...C'MON...
I have to agree on this point. It may not be a Mercedes inside, but it is leaps and bounds better than Gen1/2. I drove a R50 for ten years, and just got done with a 2014 Clubman. Going between those and the F56 feels like a time warp as so much has been improved.

Old 10-02-2014 | 12:06 PM
Mosco
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by davidtobin
I drove the F56 which is considered the coupe and is the only new generation with upgraded styling and drivetrain.
Thanks for clarifying as I'd never heard of the hardtop being referred to as the coupe before.

It sounds like you and I had polar opposite reactions to the new car. While it's not a Gen1, it's not THAT big of a departure. If anything, I think the new car has a bit of a sportier edge but still overall looks great.

I've been driving a 2014 clubman and paceman for the last ~3 months. Going from the interior of those to the F56 is like passing through a timewarp. The interior is so improved that if I was unable to get an F56, I would likely be shopping outside of the MINI family.

I haven't driven the automatic so can't comment on that part. That said, I was still sold from the first test drive as it is still MINI and still a blast to drive.

Old 10-02-2014 | 12:13 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Good review from someone quite familiar with the R56 family of cars. I too drove a 2007 MCS for 7 years and waited for the F56, read all the reviews, and looked at several and drove one. I liked the car a lot. But I didn't get all the hype about the higher quality interior materials. I thought my MCS was very good, and my R58 with Recaro seats is excellent too. I thought the F56 drove great. What it boiled down to for me were the 5 new features: the 3 driving modes, the adjustable shocks, the LED headlights, and the new center ring with the lights, and the new sport seats. I was always gonna use Sport mode and shock setting, I don't drive at night much, the light show was a novelty that will wear off, and the Recaro seats in my JCW Coupe are superb (and so is the car). But I did try to put down a deposit on an F56 MCS. It's an improved Mini, I just don't need many of the improvements. I like the body style though. I could care less about gas mileage. (I didn't test drive the Justa).

Old 10-02-2014 | 01:15 PM
davidtobin
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Chazman
The 2014 MCS is my first MINI.

Looks/Styling - Acceptable.

Interior - Cheap, too much plasticky, can't believe it's an European car! But it's roomier than I thought it was gonna be.

Engine/Performance - Love it! Awesome torque band from way down low idle rpm all the way to the red line. And I'm still getting 36.7 MPG in my everyday Los Angeles commute.

Overall - Fun to drive, very acceptable MPG, good handling, respectalble power/torque (in Sport mode), looks way more unique than other typical econobox like Civic or Corolla. I sold my 2006 MB C230 V6 Sport and was originally considering a Miata as a replacement, but it was just not practical. I'm VERY happy with my 2014 MCS and will buy it again if I'm shopping for a new car.
Excellent. If I weren't so wedded to my Gen2 and had never driven a MINI I would probably have the same reaction. That's exactly what MINI is hoping for, and hopefully (I am loyal to the BRAND) will see a surge in sales.

Old 10-02-2014 | 01:23 PM
davidtobin
|
2nd Gear
I have to agree on this point. It may not be a Mercedes inside, but it is leaps and bounds better than Gen1/2. I drove a R50 for ten years, and just got done with a 2014 Clubman. Going between those and the F56 feels like a time warp as so much has been improved.
I guess my commentary on the interior are a little off because in my 2012 Clubman S I have lounge leather, chrome line, redone steering wheel, colorline dash, tinted windows, etc. and find my interior more attractive and elegant than the base 2014 coupe I "test drove." I also think the LCI interior (no more silver stuff) is a great improvement over the older Gen 2s. Having said all that, I found the drive mode wheel around the trans to be very chintsy, as was the console between the seats. I expected better (meaning MORE BMW DNA).

Old 10-02-2014 | 01:49 PM
WhiteSilverMCS
2nd Gear
Talk about eye sore. Use spacing lol.

Anyways, I think the seats, interior, engine, and everything is nicer than my gen2.

The only real problem i have with the f56 is the fact that it hardly resembles the classic mini body style. The gen 1 and 2 maintained a lot of the design cues from the classic but making the f56 bigger is kinda stepping away from what makes a mini a mini.

Old 10-02-2014 | 02:23 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
They should made a slightly smaller F56 maybe a Coupe for people who don't need a back seat. The R56 back seat was a joke so they made it longer/bigger as well as the 2" extra in front of the front wheels for the safety thing. I bet some people would want a smaller body style in a Mini. They may not do it. I suspect they may discontinue the Coupe/Roadster line and just go hatchback and 5 door and Cabrio and call it done.

Old 10-02-2014 | 02:26 PM
g34343greg
4th Gear
Why come into the F56 owners forum to tell us you hate our cars?
Glad you like your clubman.

Old 10-02-2014 | 02:28 PM
davidtobin
|
2nd Gear
apologies to all. Of course I meant hardtop not coupe.

Old 10-02-2014 | 02:44 PM
Chazman
4th Gear
Originally Posted by g34343greg
+1.

I see that kind of posting quite often and some of them don't even have a F56.
They vitch and whine about how BIG it got, how un-MINI it is, how different from Gen1/2, etc.
It serves ZERO good for the actual F56 owners.

Old 10-02-2014 | 03:17 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
+1.

They vitch and whine about how BIG it got, how un-MINI it is, how different from Gen1/2, etc.
I beg to differ. I think these forums are also for people interested in the car not just people who own it. Remember you can still order brand new R58's and Cabrio and maybe the Clubman. I followed the R56 forum before I bought mine. I followed the F56 from way back, and still do because it's a more active forum besides being a new car. I'm glad most people like it. I tried to buy one but wasn't successful and "settled for" my car lol. You should have seen the R53 owners griping about the R56 in 2006-7.

Old 10-02-2014 | 03:48 PM
jmeryllman
2nd Gear
I am new to MINI F56 MCS, switched from VW.

First reason, I love the exterior aesthetics of the F56. I am drawn to it. It has modern lines. I think the designers are successful incorporating the MINI legacy with today's safety standards. I like the tail lights. Previous iterations of the tail lights, for me, were too small.

The interior is a big improvement, for me, from the VWs (I even had the VW Fahrenheit). Then, I drove a R56 loaner... no contest! I think my views are supported by every reviews from everybody in the auto industry. I have yet to see a review, from an auto industry magazine or site or whatnot, that there is no big improvement from the interior.

Oh yeah, It's fun to drive. I've got 9,200+ miles now coz I always try to find a reason to drive.

My review: "I bought one."

Old 10-02-2014 | 03:50 PM
torpeau
4th Gear
+1.

Well, it does make actual F56 owners de-lurk and express their enthusiasm for their cars. Look how many responses in this thread.

My F56 is the most fun car I have ever owned.

Old 10-02-2014 | 06:38 PM
davidtobin
|
2nd Gear
Glad you like your clubman.
And I'm glad the new MINI is attracting a new generation of MINI fans like me. I guess long-time MINI owners just resist change or have unrealistic hopes and expectations of the newer models. My final message to this forum is ENJOY and HAPPY MOTORING!

Old 10-03-2014 | 01:26 AM
Angib
4th Gear
Originally Posted by WhiteSilverMCS
The only real problem i have with the f56 is the fact that it hardly resembles the classic mini body style. The gen 1 and 2 maintained a lot of the design cues from the classic but making the f56 bigger is kinda stepping away from what makes a mini a mini.
All of the BMW Minis (or MINIs, as they would say) have the exact opposite styling of the classic Mini. Issigonis felt he had overstyled his previous design (the Minor) and so intentionally did as little styling to the classic Mini as possible, just a box with rounded corners.

In contrast all BMW Minis have been styled to the far end of a ****. Sure, there are decent cars lurking underneath, but they're hidden under a tart's dress (with gold ankle chain).

All BMW Minis have been far bigger then the original and the difference between them is negligible compared to the difference to the original.

The idea that the R50/53 is somehow a 'pure original' sounds to me like old men saying "this is what I'm used to, so it's best".

Old 10-03-2014 | 05:09 AM
ASKtheteach
5th Gear
Why come into the F56 owners forum to tell us you hate our cars? Glad you like your clubman.
There has always been a lot of douchebaggery in here, along with some very narrow-minded people.

Old 10-03-2014 | 05:53 AM
g34343greg
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ASKtheteach
There has always been a lot of douchebaggery in here, along with some very narrow-minded people.
agreed!

for me it seems like the information that would be more relevant to potential buyers would be the threads created by owners about what they like and dislike about their F56 when living with it everyday. Not someone who hated how the new car looks and then test drove it anyways to find more reasons to hate it.

Honestly, I hated how the F56 when it was first unveiled. I went to the dealership to order a Clubman and that was the first time I experienced an F56 in person. The interior is just a million miles better IN MY OPINION than the older cars. I like the looks of the R53 and R56, but now they just looked dated.

Again, that's just my opinion. I'm not going in the R53/56 forums to tell them how bad their interiors suck and why I think their cars look old. what good would come of that???

Old 10-03-2014 | 07:32 AM
becky1711
4th Gear
... I'm not going in the R53/56 forums to tell them how bad their interiors suck and why I think their cars look old. what good would come of that???
Nicely said.

Quick Reply: F55/F56 My Review of the 2014 MINI Coupe S